• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2019 2:07 pm
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13451 posts
3977 upvotes
Toronto
JDK111 wrote: I didn't say 'first use'
The connection between the steel shank (that holds the bits) and plastic handle broke on both under hard twists.
Dollarama price for Dollarama quality.

Get a Pic Quic.
Fair enough. Thx for the input. There is an equivalent Picquic set to this at Home Depot that sells for $15 or so. Orange handles.
Oct 28, 2013
89 posts
47 upvotes
Saskatoon
engineered wrote: especially if you have family members who like to borrow your tools and not return them.
This is the best use for these screwdrivers.
Dec 28, 2012
521 posts
353 upvotes
OTTAWA
Thanks OP picked one up along with my channel lock set
Oct 28, 2013
89 posts
47 upvotes
Saskatoon
Threadjack ---- sorry OP.

If you want an excellent ratcheting screwdriver -- this is one of the best, at ANY price and compared to ANY other brand.
https://www.rolgear.com/product/multibi ... nded-bits/

Not too expensive and the way it works is very interesting. It uses internal rollers (not pawls or a ratchet) that hold the bit while the handle winds back. The rollers will engage and lock at very close to zero backwards movement and torque and let the handle twist back.
Oct 11, 2005
441 posts
515 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I picked up a few of these last year as stocking stuffers for my kids. Handy to have them all over the house, even though sometimes they're on the floor, laying out, etc. after the kids have used them to change batteries in their toys!

Weird thing about these screwdrivers is that they come with 7 bits, but have 5 slots in the handle, and the shank holds a 6th. As a result you have to double-up in one of the slots, and they don't hold all that securely...
Sep 1, 2008
285 posts
265 upvotes
I have both the Picquic and the Mastercraft models. The MC's metal is definitely lower quality and can get rounded under heavy use. With the Picquic you're morely likely to damage the screw instead. Don't cheap on your screwdrivers. Buy the Picquic for yourself, and the MC at this low price as gifts for your relatives. Don't even bother to buy the MC even at 50% off.
May 10, 2016
151 posts
153 upvotes
I mean it's a great deal but these are awful in comparison to the Picquic they're trying to imitate. The bits feel rough and don't fit nearly as well as the Picquics and I'm sure they won't last nearly as long. I guess they work though, and $5 is hard to argue with.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12928 posts
13059 upvotes
Oakville
Badder wrote: I have both the Picquic and the Mastercraft models. The MC's metal is definitely lower quality and can get rounded under heavy use. With the Picquic you're morely likely to damage the screw instead. Don't cheap on your screwdrivers. Buy the Picquic for yourself, and the MC at this low price as gifts for your relatives. Don't even bother to buy the MC even at 50% off.
My picquic rounded off much more easily than these MC ones. I think it's in part due to the edges, they're not as sharp on the picquic.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12928 posts
13059 upvotes
Oakville
Jimboski wrote: Any recommendations for one? I want one too but don't want to spend too much, couldn't even find many options on AliExpress too lol.
The Stanely Fatmax 4:1 ratcheting screwdriver is my favourite. It spins 4x faster to get things started, then ratchets to tighten down. Plus storage for 12 bits.
https://www.stanleytools.ca/products/au ... /fmht69236
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10603 posts
2900 upvotes
Toronto
Got excited at the beginning until I scroll down to the bottom and saw the horrible reviews.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12928 posts
13059 upvotes
Oakville
MP3_SKY wrote: Got excited at the beginning until I scroll down to the bottom and saw the horrible reviews.
It shouldn't be your primary unit, but makes a great backup to leave around the house.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3766 posts
1108 upvotes
Ottawa
As someone that was sucked into buying one of these about a year ago thinking it would be good to "have around the house" for "occasional use" I can tell you the quality is horrible. The bits are not well made, they rust pretty badly compared to similar looking bits and the handles keep coming apart on both drivers.
Sep 27, 2009
628 posts
376 upvotes
Sask, Canada
These are garbage. The bits all fall out! You'll spend more time keeping the bits in the handle than using it.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2995 posts
1780 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
I refuse to buy these.
I'll only buy Canadian Tire products that are "Tested for life in Canada". Face With Tears Of Joy