• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2019 10:35 pm
[OP]
Apr 21, 2012
227 posts
259 upvotes
Kitchener

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft Maximum router bit set $80, $190 off

Seems like a good discount on router bits.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3282 posts
2694 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
mobbie wrote:
Oct 24th, 2019 5:24 pm
Seems like a good discount on router bits.
don't pay attention to any CanadianTire discount, it just means they've inflated the regular price.

I was going to shit on this deal, but then I read there's a mix of 1/2" and 1/4" bits (I think there's 5 1/2" bits) so honestly it might not be too bad of a set *IF* you need any bits.
I bought a similar kit, and it's been ok, but the few individual Freud bits I've bought are significantly better imo
shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Apr 12, 2013
418 posts
310 upvotes
BC
You can easily start with something like this, then upgrade the bits you use most often to a top brand. I've still never used most of the bits in my 20yo set, but it was a great way to get into using a router and now I use certain bits all the time so slowly replacing with Freud etc. (Amazon is pretty reasonable for these). 1/2" shank definitely outperforms 1/4" in many applications if your router can handle it.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12307 posts
12221 upvotes
Oakville
A lot of poor reviews recently. Seems the quality had gone down. I might buy this if it was $30.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1091 posts
450 upvotes
I have a set from CT almost identical to this. I've also had the bearings fall right off while using one, resulting in damaging the wood edge.

Could be that I didn't use them correctly I suppose.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12307 posts
12221 upvotes
Oakville
Drizzt wrote:
Oct 24th, 2019 7:07 pm
I have a set from CT almost identical to this. I've also had the bearings fall right off while using one, resulting in damaging the wood edge.

Could be that I didn't use them correctly I suppose.
Same complaints from online viewers.
[OP]
Apr 21, 2012
227 posts
259 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm no expert in router bits but they're the maximum brand so they'll be decent enough quality and it has a 1 year product warranty if any bearings are shot/units defective. I'm a DIY'er so I'm sure even with the occasional use these will last many many years as Andrew stated. If they're going to break it's probably because of technique which probably wouldn't save a Freud bit. Freud router bits on amazon are also 25 to 40 bucks a piece or $300 for 13 bits... I'm sure they're higher quality but recommending them over these for anyone who isn't a carpenter I'm guessing isn't an accurate recommendation. The price comparison of 3 Freud bits vs 40 maximum bits seems like a pretty obvious no brainer. I do agree if you find yourself liking one particular bit and it breaks to go for the top of the line as a replacement.
Nov 26, 2003
525 posts
350 upvotes
GTA
Here's a set from All in One Wood Tools for comparison to this CT set: http://www.allinonewood.com/?page=shop/x2008p2_1

In addition to the brands mentioned, the CMT bits that I've purchased from Amazon have been very good.
For lower priced decent bits you could also look at BusyBee.
Sep 28, 2012
34 posts
7 upvotes
I got a flyer at my house for their "Big Fall Savings Event" Oct 24 to 31st, but oddly the price in the flyer is 69.97 (save $200) - 10$ cheaper.
I don't know why the website doesn't reflect that.

I bought their router for $100 (still in the box). I am considering this, but I might go for a smaller / cheaper set from Amazon as I don't think I'll
use more than a couple of bits

btw, the flyer also has a Skil angle grinder 4 1/2 in for $24.97 which seems a good price.
Nov 9, 2010
38 posts
31 upvotes
sherb
Bought this set, used the 45 degree chamfer for some cherrywood drawer front. The bearing broke after running at most 50 linear feet. It could have blinded someone. I was using a router table, so the fragments fell toward the spinning blade.

The incident made nervous and resulted in the loss of a drawer front of fine 1 inch thick cherrywood :/

I still use most of the non bearing types.

Just a fair warning :)
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2300 posts
924 upvotes
I'm new to router and router bits. I'd like to have a starter set to experiment with. Would you guys recommend this Max set or blue tornado set?

The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet