Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Mastercraft Maximum Router Combo $99.99 - Lowest Price Ever

Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
CrappyTire is... crappy!!! it first claimed my order would be ready for pickup at 4:00PM today. Then it's 8:00PM. Latest:
This is to notify you that one or more items from your order #NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN has been delayed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
EST. AVAILABILITY: Monday, Oct 2nd.
CrappyTire snx @ss.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Nov 21, 2009
486 posts
295 upvotes
Moncton
Dunno if it's been cheaper but the set looks surprisingly solid; it has a few 1/2" shank bits, a rabbeting bit, multiple Roman Ogee, roundover and cove bits, a pattern bit and 2 flush trim bits, an upcut spiral just to name a few. Not bad at all. Again, multi sets like this are good so that you get to know what bits you prefer. If you find you like Roman Ogee the most, then you can splurge the $60 or so for a Freud Quadra-Cut Disappointed But Relieved Face
Jul 14, 2012
83 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto Ontario Cana…
deewhy wrote: How does this compare to the Asus AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router?
Noisier; more sawdust
Jan 4, 2017
54 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks OP. Stopped for this on the way home after work today. I think my trim replacement project just got a whole lot more detailed!
Banned
Jul 20, 2017
33 posts
26 upvotes
do I need filters at my two land line phones?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
3030 posts
348 upvotes
zep87065 wrote: do I need filters at my two land line phones?

Not sure if filters will solve your issues with this router.
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1284 posts
486 upvotes
BC
XOMTOR wrote: Take it back to CDN Tire; neither of mine exhibit this issue. Wonder if it could be a bit of corrosion from sitting so long.

Have two of the 1/2" collets and both are accurate, although one is a bit more snug than the other so there are likely some variations in its manufacturing. The Bosch collets fit the Mastercraft and can be ordered from Amazon. Don't know if they're better machined or not. Going by the pictures on Amazon, they don't look any different. Again, I'd just return the router for a replacement.
No corrosion, router stored in house. I tried my router out some more with 1/4" and 1/2" router bits. I think I figured out what the problem is. The 1/2" collet is poorly machined in one small detail. The 1/4" collet is harder to examine closely but it seems to perform OK.

I put the 1/2" collet on the router without a bit and hand-rotated it slowly with a light to give good illumination, and with the router and light held steady on a table to make things easier to see. The collet works by having some flexibility so it clamps down on the bit when the collet nut is tightened. The flexibility comes from thin steel and 4 slots cut in the collet steel on one end (one slot every 90 degrees), and another 4 slots on the other end. One of the slots on the bit end of the collet is (by error or sloppy work) cut to a different depth compared to the other 3. So the collet does not clamp down evenly, causing the bit to be a tiny amount off-axis so it wobbles a little. The wobble is most obvious when using a bit with a bearing on the end such as a flush trim bit. The wobbling or vibrating bearing can cause the bearing to make an unwanted groove in the workpiece. I carefully pressed a thin piece of wood on the bit bearing with the router running at low speed and it was easy to feel the vibration or wobble. The wobble would be harder to see on bits that have no bearing, but it might cause the cut surface to be rough.

I will check out collet parts such as the Bosch you mentioned on Amazon etc. Maybe I'll ask for an exchange collet or exchange the entire router at Canadian Tire.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks picked one up. Is there a router table you guys would recommend. The maximum one at CT seems to have bad reviews. But we all know how truthful those can be.
Nov 30, 2008
256 posts
248 upvotes
Oro-Medonte
I have three of these now, plus another three routers from other brands. I always buy one when they hit the $99 price, it is an excellent deal at that price. I use them in router tables and other home built machines, so typically don't use the bases very much. However they are also perfectly good for hand routing even if a little heavy/bulky for edge work. I guess my oldest of this type is about 6 or 7 years, used to come with a case back then, and is still going strong with no issues at all.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1562 posts
541 upvotes
Vaughan
thanks op. picked one up yesterday. don't have any immediate use for it but i'm sure it'll come in handy. now i have to wait for the router bits to go on sale.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
solarfish wrote: I have three of these now, plus another three routers from other brands. I always buy one when they hit the $99 price, it is an excellent deal at that price. I use them in router tables and other home built machines, so typically don't use the bases very much. However they are also perfectly good for hand routing even if a little heavy/bulky for edge work. I guess my oldest of this type is about 6 or 7 years, used to come with a case back then, and is still going strong with no issues at all.
Is there a router table you would recommend?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
magoot wrote: Worked in construction so not a big deal but taught friends how to use it.
Wear proper equipment- friend didn't wear safety glasses and had to go to hospital for tiny wood chip in eye. He now wears googles. Some sort of oral dust filter helps also.
Let the router do the work and have FIRM control of it as occasionally when you least expect it will jump and possibly ruin the wood or hurt someone.
Don't allow the bit to overheat- very important from a cost basis.
When routering sometimes I use a circ saw to make the first "indent/ profile- I then use the router to finish it.
ALL surfaces will have to be very lightly sanded as the router will leave a sheen to the wood- the same as lumber from lumberyard.
Gotta go to airport.
Best of Luck.
Religiously check Kijiji for deals. Many farmer's barns out there with tons of stuff.
Bought one just need to set up a work station in the basement. Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Wrong router....was wondering why Crappy Tire was selling networking equipment. And I was looking for a "maximum" type router for whole home WiFi.

Though..I could use THIS router. Love working with wood...
Why can't we all just get along?
Nov 17, 2013
979 posts
196 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Not sure how to ask this but at this price, is this a better than kijiji deal? I dont have an immediate need for a router but always wanted one for when i start doing my custom sub boxes for my home theatre. Will this router be good for such a job?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)