Media: i5 6400, GTX 1070 8gb, 16GB RAM
Everyday: i5 6400, GTX 1060 6gb, 8GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb, Freedom - Freedom 250mb
Mar 6, 2012
685 posts
161 upvotes
raskal wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 1:25 am
winter snows??? that happened 2 weeks ago :)

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=ct&q=054-2099-6 thanks Sawfish!
Unfortunately that depends on where you live! I see that it is currently 9c in Abbotsford, it's currently -2 in Montreal and was -6 earlier while on my way to work. At least I'm starting to see some grass, so that's pretty nice. They say that while it stays mostly under 7 degrees you are better off keeping your winter tires. I however have my appointment to get my winter tires changed tomorrow and I know I will have a few hours ride to do during the night so I hope the temp doesn't too much overnight.

That said, I have this impact and it is great to change tires! Not using it this time around though because I bought a new car right before the winter and it already had it's winter tires on the mags, I need to get regular rims for them this summer.

Also, obligatory don't use this to tighten up the nuts afterwards though!!
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1254 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know why they advertise this as "nut busting" so blatantly. I get hassled enough by my wife, I don't need a $100 tool adding to the choir.
Feb 18, 2007
251 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Lol 400 ft lbs, for "nut busting", what a joke.

Just bought this -- 1400 ft lbs of nut busting torque.

Feb 26, 2018
35 posts
22 upvotes
danascully wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 10:39 am
Lol 400 ft lbs, for "nut busting", what a joke.

Just bought this -- 1400 ft lbs of nut busting torque.

Yes, but for triple+ the price? "Hey I just got this Mercedes, why bother with a kia optima?"

But for real, did you get a decent deal on the Milwaukee? I've wanted one for a long while now.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4489 posts
518 upvotes
Decent price far people who have one or 2 car's tires to swap.

If you do more than that and work on the car, too, I would recommend getting the Ridgid 5x 1/2 impact wrench at Home Depot for $179.
I swapped tires on 3 vehicles and the battery was still full. I loosened with max lvl 3 setting and tightened with the auto setting.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Feb 18, 2007
251 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Ryankay wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 10:44 am
Yes, but for triple+ the price? "Hey I just got this Mercedes, why bother with a kia optima?"

But for real, did you get a decent deal on the Milwaukee? I've wanted one for a long while now.
Yeah I get that, I just think you shouldn't be allowed to advertise nut busting @ 400ft lbs...

I split the tool cost with my buddy so it wasn't too bad, but I *needed* it to fix my subaru, everything on the front suspension was seized - no amount of breaker bars moved the axle nut or strut to knuckle bolts.

5 seconds with the milwaukee and they were zapped off.

Worth every penny
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1276 posts
338 upvotes
Edmonton
danascully wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 10:56 am
Yeah I get that, I just think you shouldn't be allowed to advertise nut busting @ 400ft lbs...

I split the tool cost with my buddy so it wasn't too bad, but I *needed* it to fix my subaru, everything on the front suspension was seized - no amount of breaker bars moved the axle nut or strut to knuckle bolts.

Worth every penny
surprised it just didn't shred it haha. I got the dewalt 700 ftlb with 2*5ah and charger kit for 300. That thing is plenty for most tasks.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
2468 posts
24 upvotes
Chatham
Bought one this morning and promptly returned it after 30 minutes. Couldn't loosen even one lug nut from my SUV so if defeats the purpose of having it.

Don't know though if the dealership tightened the bolts too much I needed a more powerful impact wrench or do it manually with a breaker bar.
Stuff for sale/trade/wtb
Computer Stuff
My Heatware
Ebay
Feb 18, 2007
251 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Nubee wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 2:19 pm
Bought one this morning and promptly returned it after 30 minutes. Couldn't loosen even one lug nut from my SUV so if defeats the purpose of having it.

Don't know though if the dealership tightened the bolts too much I needed a more powerful impact wrench or do it manually with a breaker bar.
I'm willing to bet the dealer overtorqued those, as in never used a torque wrench to begin with.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1683 posts
1046 upvotes
Montreal, QC
danascully wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 10:56 am

Worth every penny
Well, 400lbs "should" be enough for most medium sized vehicle lug nuts.. Most should be torqued between 80 and 120. So anything over 300, should typically be enough to bust them lose (unless they are really badly corroded). Even the original IR231 which is the classic impact, and still the usual backup in most garages has a 600lbs reverse torque. This electric unit, is not designed for any serious car work. It's target audience is just those who do the seasonal tire swap in their driveways. Not for those who will be doing work on all their front end, or other parts.

But the milwaukee is a sweet gun. I went by my buddies garage this afternoon and he was all excited to show me his new toy he picked up 2 weeks ago :) And he uses it a lot, and the battery lasts close to a week before needing to be charged. Even when the battery is down to 1 bar, it can still deliver full power. But damn, it is a little on the heavy side.
Only time he switches back to pneumatic, is when he needs his 3/4" impact when working on trucks.

I have an Aircat 1150 myself, which I picked up 2 or 3 years ago to replace my IR231. It is rated at 1295lbs of reverse torque (still slightly less than the milwaukee), and so far it has not failed me. Mind you, to get the most out of this gun, I did replace all the fittings on my lines with 3/8" ends, and high flow couplers. Made a huge difference.

With this much power in these tools, the nut and bolts are coming off.. Only question is... Will the bolt come undone or will it sheer off :) lol.

danascully wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 1:13 am
I'm willing to bet the dealer overtorqued those, as in never used a torque wrench to begin with.
Unless they are high end shops, working on high end vehicles, I don't see many shops using torque wrenches.
However most shops will at least use some torque stick extensions. Obviously not as accurate as a torque wrench, but they are in the ballbark, and will not crazy overtorque or possible strip the nuts.

But, yes, some don't use anything (which is ridiculous). I remember when my father-in-law took his car once to CT to get his tires installed. They had a promo and offered free installation, including mount and balancing. What incompetence. They used no torque limiting devices, and they completely stripped one of the studs/nuts... But instead of just replacing it, they just left off the one nut. So when he went to pick it up, he noticed one nut was missing. When he went back in to ask why he was missing one, only then did they admit that they accidentally stripped it, but they had no studs in stock to replace it.