• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 12:47 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2003
603 posts
246 upvotes
Montreal

[Canadian Tire] Maximum Fixed/Plunge Router $99.99

For those of you that bought the Bosch router table and were waiting for a good router to go on sale, the Canadian Tire Maximum router is on sale for $99.99, down from $269.99.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxi ... p.html#srp
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." Benjamin Franklin
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8266 posts
6763 upvotes
Oakville
I've been tempted by this set but poor reviews keep me away.
Nov 30, 2014
122 posts
277 upvotes
Calgary, AB
engineered wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:33 pm
i've personally used it. bought at same price earlier this year, i believe it's same year/model too.

i guess depending on what you do with it, $99 for a plunge/fixed base 1/2 collet router represents a good value for weekend projects/diy'ers , most likely you will not find tire 1 models(milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, etc) even close to this range, i have not even seen they are on clearance nor price error at HD/CT/Lowes/AMZ etc.

i haven't used it much on hardwood, but it is powerful and has soft start, good value for $99. the overall finish and design i have to say isn't impressive....

i will probably get a makita router($200 - $300 range) once i find myself more projects down the road, but for now i foresee it lasts 2-3 years at least for me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8266 posts
6763 upvotes
Oakville
LEOOOOOO wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:50 pm
i've personally used it. bought at same price earlier this year, i believe it's same year/model too.

i guess depending on what you do with it, $99 for a plunge/fixed base 1/2 collet router represents a good value for weekend projects/diy'ers , most likely you will not find tire 1 models(milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, etc) even close to this range, i have not even seen they are on clearance nor price error at HD/CT/Lowes/AMZ etc.

i haven't used it much on hardwood, but it is powerful and has soft start, good value for $99. the overall finish and design i have to say isn't impressive....

i will probably get a makita router($200 - $300 range) once i find myself more projects down the road, but for now i foresee it lasts 2-3 years at least for me.
Good points, it would probably be good enough for me. The other reason is that I really don't have much use for one, but it could be useful to replace a jigsaw for complicated cuts.
Nov 24, 2017
11 posts
5 upvotes
I used one of these on my IPE deck project. Ran several hundred board foot through a Freud round over without any issue. I bought because I didn't want to ruin my nicer routers but it has surprisingly done pretty well. Though the QC on these apparently isn't great and some people have gotten lemons.

Purchased last year for 89.99
Nov 30, 2008
164 posts
103 upvotes
Oro-Medonte
I have three of them! One table mounted, one dedicated flattening sled and one free hand. All bought at $99 price over the last few years and all excellent. For comparison I also have an old DeWalt 625 and actually prefer the Maximum because it is not quite so bulky. Only downsides I've found is that the fence is pretty basic, the power switch is not convenient and it is obviously a bit big for laminate trimming or other light duty edge tasks (I have a couple of small routers for that).
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18490 posts
5054 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
atulb wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 2:34 pm
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000H1 ... UTF8&psc=1

use code 30OFF
It's not quite as awesome of a deal any more. It was better when it was $140 before the coupon (and a filler).

I'd probably impulse buy the router if they would ship it for free... I just can't seem to bring myself to actually get to a crappy tire for this.
Nov 24, 2015
70 posts
51 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Anyone have a recommendation for a good starter bit set to use with this? I used to have access to a school wood shop when I needed to use a router but am now setting up my own (i previously bought this and just got the bosch cabinet table
Mar 20, 2016
221 posts
127 upvotes
Vancouver
engineered wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:33 pm
Most reviews are decent, unless you are talking about clueless people like this:
"I bought this router today for a job that needs to be done today. I was told the bits were in the box. Nowhere on the box does it say that are no bits in the box. Got out to the job site before I found out I had no bits. Now it’s just a useless paperweight."

It has 5yr limited warranty if it dies (I assume that would cover the motor?).
Oct 26, 2017
125 posts
242 upvotes
There's two schools of thought:
  1. buy a large selection of cheap bits, replace the ones you use often with better ones as they wear.
  2. Spend the money for some nicer bits, but only purchase them as you need them.
Buying a big kit from a quality brand is a big investment most people won't ever use enough to justify. Brands include Freud, Whiteside, CMT, Bosch, Lee Valley...

Cheap bit sets can be had for $2-3 per bit and I don't know that there's much of a difference to recommend a particular brand name (i.e. Mastercraft or Maximum when they go on sale, Ryobi, Hiltex, Stalwart).

I bought a few Skil-branded bits recently, they seem a little nicer than the usual cheap bits and aren't too expensive if you can find a sale.
Oct 18, 2006
281 posts
45 upvotes
Why do you tell me this? Now I'm inclined to wait until it goes back on sale for $140. Otherwise, I would have been oblivious and just bought it! Darn my cheapness!

Seriously though, thank!
BinaryJay wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 2:44 pm
It's not quite as awesome of a deal any more. It was better when it was $140 before the coupon (and a filler).

I'd probably impulse buy the router if they would ship it for free... I just can't seem to bring myself to actually get to a crappy tire for this.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8266 posts
6763 upvotes
Oakville
jpwkr1 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 3:12 pm
Most reviews are decent, unless you are talking about clueless people like this:
"I bought this router today for a job that needs to be done today. I was told the bits were in the box. Nowhere on the box does it say that are no bits in the box. Got out to the job site before I found out I had no bits. Now it’s just a useless paperweight."

It has 5yr limited warranty if it dies (I assume that would cover the motor?).
These were the reviews that worried me. The warranty is good but you have save the receipt/box or whatever.

Non-standard Router Base
I bought this router to do fine woodworking. The base does not adapt to hold template guides. For this reason I'm buying a whole new router that does!

Great router but poor reliability
I don't use a router often maybe 2 or 3 times a year. bought this one on sale and loved the fact that it had a separate plunge base. On paper this thing is great. Love the LED lighting. not too heavy but enough heft to keep it on your work, love the soft start feature.... Now for the bad. I bought this 6 months ago on sale. I cut 2 circles with a v bit maybe 1/4 deep on a jig, and 2x 3/4inch slots maybe 3/8 deep on oak (nice and slow). with these two cuts this thing has burnt itself out. after maybe 20 minutes of run time (if that) the motor is sparking and no longer runs at full speed (as determined by speed dial) . Build quality looks good but it just doesn't have staying power. Will try and return, hopefully it is just a dud, but so far not impressed.

Died in 30 minutes
Bought this as 'upgrade', but after only 30 minutes of use the motor died almost completely.
Started making a grinding noise when in use, the motors RPMs would rise and fall almost randomly.
Guess I got a bad one. Buyer beware.

Grinding noise out of the box. Bad bearings?
I bought this router kit on sale and thought it was a great deal, but unfortunately I'll be returning it today. When I plugged it in for the first time for testing I immediately heard intermittent grinding noises that did not sound good. I shut it off and double checked everything to make sure nothing was loose or vibrating and tried it again with the speed set low. It sounded better, but as I increased the speed the grinding started again. When I went past speed level 3 the grinding was almost constant and very concerning, I shut it down and boxed everything up for return without ever touching a piece of wood. I initially had second thoughts about this router when I discovered how loose the motor was in the collar when the clamp is released. I planned to mount the fixed base in a router table, but when the router is hanging upside the bit moves around when you're opening and closing the collar and it makes it difficult to set the height accurately and repeatedly. I think this happens on a lot of routers, but it seems much worse on this one than some of the other routers I looked at. After playing with for awhile I decided I could probably learn to live with the loose collar and height adjustments, but the grinding noises are definitely a deal breaker. I'm still not sure if I'm going to exchange it and try another one or spend more money for one of the better name brands. When this router is on sale it seems like a great value, especially with all the accessories it comes with, but now I have very real concerns about quality control and dependability.

Disappointed
I purchased this router based on the positive reviews and was able to pick it up for a nice price at 40% off, but my inital experience with the router was very poor. The tool is powerful, the case is nice, bit change out is good, but what is woefully lacking is the depth adjustment. The all metal gear system seems like it should work, but it doesn't. Mine was new out of the box and the gears would bind and stick or just slip and not move the router depth at all. It took me 10 minutes to get it set to the correct depth to do my job. Once set the tool works well, but given the experience I would not recommend this tool.
It is unfortunate that Master Craft tools have become so poor in general. I have had horrible experiences with Master Craft, but thought I'd give the Maximum line a chance. Well given this experience I am now done and will stick to the more expensive name brands. Yes you do pay more, but I have never had a problem with my other tools and personally I'd rather pay a little more and buy a tool once then get a 'deal' and replace the tool after a few years #or in this case the a few days#.