[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 2:15 pm
I currently have 10 jugs of various synthetic oil brands from sales and 12 oil filters.
My best score, was 7 jugs in one purchase from a few years ago, when the Formula 1 synthetic was on sale for $17.
If you totaled your car, would you buy the same make /model /year, to make use of the filters and possibly oil? Face Screaming In Fear
Aug 18, 2017
47 posts
66 upvotes
Thenerdmon wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 2:31 pm
I see this comment telling ppl to not buy any bc it isn't a good deal, bc it was once cheaper during their anniversary sale. No one knows if it'll ever be that cheap again, and ppl like yourselves will not buy cause it was once on sale cheaper; very useful!
I'm not asking people not to buy it because price was lower, I'm just saying there is always a better price as CT has engine oil on sale several times a year and some people like me prefer to stock up on oil when we see a decent price as the shelf life of synthetic oil is like 5 years(recommended by Mobil 1), at least it works for me. If people need oil now, go for it, it's still a good deal.
Jun 18, 2016
23 posts
27 upvotes
Where can I return the used oil? Have a tray sitting in my garage...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
Even though I posted it, I didn't buy any. I'm not sure why people are worried about the cost of oil for such an infrequent task. You probably get ripped off more when you take your car to the dealer for service and invalidates this savings.

What you should be asking is, why isn't it always this price? At any moment, I can go to a US Walmart and buy the same product for US$23, and it has more than 4.4L in the US packaging. This can be said for almost any other good that is sold in Canada.

For Canada, this is a reasonable price, but I will buy some on my next trip to the US.

Did I just bath my own thread? Astonished Face
Last edited by batcave on Oct 22nd, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
MooseV2 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 3:33 pm
Where can I return the used oil? Have a tray sitting in my garage...
Almost any garage or oil change place should take it. They will take your old filter and oil containers too.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11221 posts
1472 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
batcave wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 3:39 pm
For Canada, this is a reasonable price, but I will buy some on my next trip to the US.
I don't know where you live, but is the time spent and additional weight you have to carry in your car from USA to back home worth the $5 savings per jug? At most, USA uses 5L jugs and not 4.4L. For me, they can take my $5 lol.
Mar 31, 2008
281 posts
125 upvotes
Calgary
batcave wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 3:41 pm
Almost any garage or oil change place should take it. They will take your old filter and oil containers too.
Canadian tire will take it in small amounts, my store said they will tke a jug or two, but if more then take it to the recycling depot. The depot is actually closer for me, they have a giant 300 gallon tank you dump it in then spots for the bottles and filters.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
1326 posts
766 upvotes
Calgary
geokilla wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 3:43 pm
I don't know where you live, but is the time spent and additional weight you have to carry in your car from USA to back home worth the $5 savings per jug? At most, USA uses 5L jugs and not 4.4L. For me, they can take my $5 lol.
For those in the know (and with a US address -- even a PO Box will work if you sign up for street address delivery), 5-quart Mobil 1 has been at $11 after $10 rebate regularly via Wallyworld. I look at the Canadian regular price and laugh.

Current US rebate: https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions
Last edited by FatWallet on Oct 22nd, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In your pants!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
geokilla wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 3:43 pm
It's a five quart jug in the US (4.73l). I would only buy one at a time because my primary car takes 6q and there is half a container in my garage at any given time. I'm not a beliver in stocking up. Plus combined with the cost of gas, it is ususally cheaper. I go to the US often and time my shopping around one of these trips.

It is even better when the six quart cases go on sale in the US!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
FatWallet wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 3:57 pm
For those in the know (and with a US address -- even a PO Box will work if you sign up for street address delivery), 5-quart Mobil 1 has been at $11 after $10 rebate regularly via Wallyworld. I look at the Canadian regular price and laugh.

Current US rebate: https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions
Free money! Thanks!

For the rebate, do they send you a check or is it electronic?
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
1326 posts
766 upvotes
Calgary
batcave wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 4:06 pm
Free money! Thanks!

For the rebate, do they send you a check or is it electronic?
It's a cheque. So, having a US bank account will help, too.
In your pants!
Feb 13, 2015
281 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Polymertank wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 9:31 pm
Was on sale for $25 during the anniversary sale
Yea I don't understand why you would post this, it's totally irrelevant. And I doubt the deal will come back.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21657 posts
2412 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 9:06 pm
Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, 4.4L jug for $31.19 to $35.99 plus enviro fees and taxes.

From what I saw at the local CT store, the following grades, all weights and viscosites, are on sale,

European Car Formula
Advanced Fuel Economy
High Mileage
Extended Performance
Holy crap CT has stepped into the 21st Century! Miracle!
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21657 posts
2412 upvotes
Polymertank wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 9:31 pm
Was on sale for $25 during the anniversary sale
Was that for all grades though?