261 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
Hmm, only 4L.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
3880 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
M1 is a better oil than PP, on par with Penn ultra but with better cold performance. M1 is one of the few widely available oils left that still uses Group IV basestocks.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2529 posts
348 upvotes
Ajax
Why ? Please tell me why we constantly have this debate of which is a better synthetic? Is anyone here driving in desert like temperatures or frigid -40 ? Are you daily driving in the indy500 with your revs at redline all day long? Price for the average drivers should be the key! They are all similar with their own marketing gimmics, additives. Your beige corolla , civic with a fart cannon is gonna still run the same , corner the same and burn blue smoke just like any synthetic on the market. You aren't going to be on the side of the road cursing the brand you should have put in while waiting for a tow. As you sit behind the wheel after that funny as hell accident you just had would you be having a debate as to whether Mobil 1 or PP made a difference? Real intelligent people have the information required or know where to access it if they truly have a hardon of preference. This debate reminds me of the 100 dollar hdmi cables ......there are the naive and then there are the people who pay 4.99.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21346 posts
2244 upvotes
I swear CT is still living in the 80s/90s. This "limiting oil sales to certain grades" BS is so lame these days. They've got to be the only retailer that still does this crap...even their other brand store (PartSource) doesn't do this...

Plus this is only 4L whereas the usual size is 4.4L now...then again that's probably why only two grades because these are probably a "special purchase" from Exxon in just these two grades

Speaking of PartSource, they have Castrol Edge (and Edge Extended) for $33-$35 for 4.4L jugs...but just for the wkend. Provided they have the grade you're looking for stocked, pretty sure they're all on sale unlike this "5W20, 5W30 only" foolery.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21346 posts
2244 upvotes
Well I guess I should make a small retraction, heh. I was in CT yesterday (something I only do once in a blue moon tbh), not to get oil per se but to pick up garbage bags and a birthday gift for my mom (some gardening stuff). I did notice as the above post says there were no 4L jugs to be seen. I did see 4.4L bottles but no sale pricing on them.

However, I'm not sure if it's chain wide, but at the store I was at they had Castrol Edge and Edge Premium at the same sale prices as PartSource has right now...and all grades included.
Mar 13, 2010
79 posts
8 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:12 pm
I swear CT is still living in the 80s/90s. This "limiting oil sales to certain grades" BS is so lame these days. They've got to be the only retailer that still does this crap...even their other brand store (PartSource) doesn't do this...
ES... when you were at CT were the other grades not on sale? All 4.4l jugs at CT in Regina were on sale. I picked up Mobil1 0w20 at the sale price.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3394 posts
388 upvotes
Firsttimeforumer wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:14 pm
I dont think mobil 1 makes 4l jugs, and if they do they don't carry them at Canadian Tire. There was a typo in the flyer, they meant 4.4l. I bought some today
They do make a 4l Jug as I picked up a few yesterday
I tried to head to the counter with the 4.4 Jugs and they were not on sale and I had to have them dig around in the back to find the 4l Jugs
Mar 11, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes
Your right, I just checked mine. It is 4l. Didnt know they made them that small.
Quick edit:
Just came back from Canadian Tire at Cedarbrae Mall. I went to go return my 4L jug. They have a bunch of 4.4L jugs in stock which are listed for 52$ on the shelf, but ring up as 32$ Which makes it essentially the same deal as the 28$/4L jugs. Hope this helps some of you.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21346 posts
2244 upvotes
phredder wrote:
May 20th, 2017 10:42 am
ES... when you were at CT were the other grades not on sale? All 4.4l jugs at CT in Regina were on sale. I picked up Mobil1 0w20 at the sale price.
I didn't even go there for oil but the odd thing was I didn't see any 4L jugs of Mobil 1 and the 4.4s actually weren't marked for sale. The 4.4L Syntec...err I mean Edge was all on-sale though, mirroring the PartSource sale. And, as stated in my follow-up post, all grades were on sale as well as Titanium...err I mean Extended (do they ever stop rebranding things?) for a few bucks more.

I suspect the 4.0L jugs were some special purchase by CT as you typically don't see them on retailer shelves in Canada. Also in the US they don't typically even have 4.4L bottles, they have 5qt bottles which are 4.7L. Typical Canadian screwjob :rolleyes: Though granted a bottle is about $25 in the US right now I think so the ~$33 here aren't that bad, even if you are "losing" 300mL.