5 Iron to SW
Uniflex true temper steel shaft
Golf pride grip
27 replies
Oct 24, 2010
74 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I've golfed about 2 times in my life and been to the driving range a few times as well. Is this a good set for a beginner? I'd also require a driver and I'd be set? Suppose I'd need a bag as well.
Mar 7, 2011
2 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
bam136 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 7:54 am
I've golfed about 2 times in my life and been to the driving range a few times as well. Is this a good set for a beginner? I'd also require a driver and I'd be set? Suppose I'd need a bag as well.
If you've barely golfed, I recommend just buying a used set on Kijiji to start. Golf clubs in no way make the golfer, so buy a set, you can probably get a whole set with drivers, bag, balls etc for less than this and then if you get into it, then look at buying a better set. Costco regularly has nice sets for a decent price too. The key is to make sure the clubs are the right length for you. Shaft flex is next, but for a beginner doesn't make much difference.
Oct 5, 2012
110 posts
39 upvotes
OTTAWA
bam136 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 7:54 am
Yes and No.

These clubs are game improvement irons, in that they have mechanisms help to accentuate the appropriate swing motion to an extent, which will help you get the ball in the air more easily and will forgive slight mishits at a greater rate. Unless someone gets their handicap under 10-15 ish, this type of iron is recommended, as compared to bladed irons.

Uniflex shafts can work for some people, but a lot of that really depends on the person. In my opinion, the stronger/more athletic you are, the less likely you would enjoy these shafts. They were created to try and bring a uniform flex for multiple people with different swing speeds to be able to use, but the end result isn't outstanding. The faster you swing, the stiffer the required shaft that would best suit your swing.

It might be worth heading to a store like Golf Town to try out a few uniflex sets to see if they feel comfortable. If you'll only ever play a few times a year, it might be a good idea. I've had an older version of slingshots before, and I loved them.
Nov 5, 2014
107 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's showing up at $374.99 for me
Oct 16, 2010
160 posts
68 upvotes
Different Canadian tires will have different clearance prices. I ran into this when they had blendtec mixers on clearance, even tried to have one store PM another but ran into problems with my local CT not playing ball
Oct 16, 2010
160 posts
68 upvotes
zcrosby89 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 8:09 am
Yes and No.

These clubs are game improvement irons, in that they have mechanisms help to accentuate the appropriate swing motion to an extent, which will help you get the ball in the air more easily and will forgive slight mishits at a greater rate. Unless someone gets their handicap under 10-15 ish, this type of iron is recommended, as compared to bladed irons.

Uniflex shafts can work for some people, but a lot of that really depends on the person. In my opinion, the stronger/more athletic you are, the less likely you would enjoy these shafts. They were created to try and bring a uniform flex for multiple people with different swing speeds to be able to use, but the end result isn't outstanding. The faster you swing, the stiffer the required shaft that would best suit your swing.

It might be worth heading to a store like Golf Town to try out a few uniflex sets to see if they feel comfortable. If you'll only ever play a few times a year, it might be a good idea. I've had an older version of slingshots before, and I loved them.
Uniflex are the most common shafts on modern golf clubs today. These are steel shafts, I think you might be confusing these for flexible graphite shafts designed for slower swing speeds
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
4364 posts
1041 upvotes
great learner's club. got an older set of the slingshot series used when i first started
Thanks RFD for:

-Koodo $48 MB Plan 5GB
Jun 1, 2005
803 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver
Uniflex shafts are generally stiffer than regular flex steel, which would mean they tend to fit slightly harder swinging players better than the average hacker. That being said, in irons, playing a shaft that's too stiff isn't much of a problem because you want consistency, not distance.

I agree with what was said above, you're probably better off going with a used set of irons. Iron technology hasn't changed much in the last decade (despite all the marketing gimmicks). Your best bet is to buy some on Kijiji so you can meet the guy at the driving range and try before you buy, but globalgolf and 3balls are good options as well.
Jun 16, 2012
285 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto. ON
Jamie526 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:41 am
Different Canadian tires will have different clearance prices. I ran into this when they had blendtec mixers on clearance, even tried to have one store PM another but ran into problems with my local CT not playing ball
I've only had one store out of 4-5 not give me aPM with another CT. I was like that's too bad, I'll have to do my shopping at the store with the better customer service.

As for the club's, they'll make little difference to beginners as stated above, as good swing mechanics, balance and a myriad of other things are about 99% more important than the clubs. Best advice to beginners, spend $50 on a set of clubs and 300 on range balls, vs 300 on clubs and 50 on range balls. I got down to a single digit handicap, and my first set of clubs was a 7 piece set of Northwestern's (driver, 3 wood, 3-5-7-9 iron, and putter), and it taught me about course management, and how to work the ball. IMHO these complete sets are making less versatile golfers.
Oct 9, 2013
89 posts
12 upvotes
Peterborough
Thanks went right out and grabbed the last one at my local....store of choice had regular price but changed to 250$ when I switched to the other store in town and they only had one in stock....much less of a hit when combined with CT money too...
Dec 21, 2013
594 posts
254 upvotes
GTA
Picked up the last one from Winston Park Canadian Tire in Oakville.

Excellent set of irons for $250 + tax.

Aside from feel, they look much better in real life than in the pics!
Nov 29, 2006
673 posts
118 upvotes
If you can get these for $250 (I see $499), then get these. It's a great price for these irons. The slingshots will be very well suited for the beginner. Used irons are a way to go also, but you won't really do better.. perhaps just a little bit cheaper. For similar pricing, I like brand new =)
Dec 29, 2007
307 posts
89 upvotes
alpha_tot wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 12:24 pm
Uniflex shafts are generally stiffer than regular flex steel, which would mean they tend to fit slightly harder swinging players better than the average hacker. That being said, in irons, playing a shaft that's too stiff isn't much of a problem because you want consistency, not distance.
o

Agreed. I've never seen the advantage. Who wants a whippy iron? Maybe the pro game.