Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Noco Genius Boost GB40 - Portable jump starter

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2019 11:44 am
Dec 24, 2015
155 posts
273 upvotes
Burnaby

[Canadian Tire] Noco Genius Boost GB40 - Portable jump starter

Hi all,

Canadian tire has the Noco Genius Boost GB40 at $127.99, equal to the historic lowest price on amazon as per 3xcamel.
Good to have a portable jump start solution for this weather.

However, please do your research before buying as there are some mixed reviews on this product
Fakespot = F

Happy deal hunting!
Images
  • Capture.JPG
  • 1.JPG
27 replies
Dec 22, 2001
456 posts
225 upvotes
I realize no machine and all but this was $117 on amazon back in December (I pulled the old order first think later, ended up returning it). Can't find the price on l-ightningdrops so must have been a lightning deal.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1120 posts
347 upvotes
GVR
This worked for me the 2 times i had to use it on a smaller battery (S2000), but it wasn't cold or anything
Dec 24, 2015
155 posts
273 upvotes
Burnaby
Fresco wrote: I realize no machine and all but this was $117 on amazon back in December (I pulled the old order first think later, ended up returning it). Can't find the price on l-ightningdrops so must have been a lightning deal.
Mind expanding on the reason for return?

As a side note, this price can be further brought down if stacked with the 10% off CT giftcards (of course only applies if bought).
127.99 - 12.79 = 115.19
Jan 28, 2015
87 posts
350 upvotes
I'm surprised there are so many negative reviews - I have one of these I bought probably two years ago and I use it all the time with no issues. Mind you, I've only had to try it on a car twice (and it worked fine) but I have both an ATV and a riding mower I use it with ALL THE TIME. They both have temperamental batteries that are on their way out and constantly need boosting. I love that this thing is small enough to carry around no problem to boost the darn things wherever they happen to decide to crap out on me, never had an issue getting anything going, and it can usually handle well over a dozen boosts before it even starts to warn me it needs to be plugged in again. I wound up here because I was all excited it was on sale so I could buy one for a family member who had enviously admired it haha
May 28, 2007
349 posts
328 upvotes
CALGARY
rockinggokul wrote: As a side note, this price can be further brought down if stacked with the 10% off CT giftcards (of course only applies if bought).
superstore has them on sale this week
May 28, 2007
349 posts
328 upvotes
CALGARY
Fresco wrote: I realize no machine and all but this was $117 on amazon back in December (I pulled the old order first think later, ended up returning it). Can't find the price on l-ightningdrops so must have been a lightning deal.
I have been thinking about this one for a while. Lithium boosters with solid reviews are basically non existent. Out of the bunch, I feel that this might be a better choice.
It's harder to buy-first-think-later with Canadian Tire, though. I have 0 trust in their customer service and return policies.

would you elaborate on the reason you returned it?
May 28, 2007
349 posts
328 upvotes
CALGARY
snlev367 wrote: I'm surprised there are so many negative reviews - I have one of these I bought probably two years ago and I use it all the time with no issues. Mind you, I've only had to try it on a car twice (and it worked fine) but I have both an ATV and a riding mower I use it with ALL THE TIME. They both have temperamental batteries that are on their way out and constantly need boosting. I love that this thing is small enough to carry around no problem to boost the darn things wherever they happen to decide to crap out on me, never had an issue getting anything going, and it can usually handle well over a dozen boosts before it even starts to warn me it needs to be plugged in again. I wound up here because I was all excited it was on sale so I could buy one for a family member who had enviously admired it haha
Reviews are mixed and somewhat polarized. I feel that it really depends on the application. Sure it starts a mower and atv, but NOCO advertises this product to produce 1000 CCA to crank a 3.0L diesel at -30C temperature. A lot of reviews were having trouble cranking a compact SUV in the cold.
GB70 is the general recommendation from these mixed reviews for larger cars. But that's too expensive for me to spend on something I might not use.
Jan 20, 2011
166 posts
41 upvotes
I have one, and used it 5 times this winter with no issue, I did 3 boost (V63.5 and civic) witout having to charge it again on -20C.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
How often do you have to charge these if it’s not used a lot?
Dec 9, 2014
102 posts
90 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
My father has Corvette Z06 and this models starts his car. I also have one and pulled over to help a guy in an F150 start his truck and It also worked. My dodge caravan no problem.

But my brother bought one and it went dead very quickly. Might be hit and miss.
Dec 16, 2012
30 posts
6 upvotes
CALGARY
Had 2 of these and they died within a year.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
This is probably as good as any of them, but the price is not great. I bought a similar Anker model for $67 a little more than a year ago.

Most of them are capable of doing the basic job of boosting a car engine when it's cold and the battery is weak. The smaller ones might struggle to boost a large engine in extreme cold with a totally dead car battery.

The knocks against them are:
- Fake current capacity specs. In tests none of them even come close to their rated amps, nor would their light-duty cables be capable of carrying that much current. Fortunately it's not necessary.
- When tested close to maximum capacity with repeated start attemps, many displayed worrying symptoms like swelling and splitting the case around the battery.
- The safety overall is a little worrying. Many have safety circuits in the cable, not in the unit itself, so if anything accidentally bridged the recessed battery contacts there would be a nasty short circuit. I'm hesitant to keep one in my car because of the reports of lithium ion batteries spontaneously catching fire in many different types of devices. It's a high-capacity battery, capable of doing a lot of damage if it short-circuited.
Oct 10, 2014
472 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have this unit, got for same price at CT a few months back.

Never had issues jumping cars up to 3.5L V6, in pretty cold temps.

Even used it to revive a completely dead battery in a car that had been sitting for 4 years (needed to eject a CD, lol)
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2575 posts
1757 upvotes
rockinggokul wrote: Hi all,

Canadian tire has the Noco Genius Boost GB40 at $127.99, equal to the historic lowest price on amazon as per 3xcamel.
Good to have a portable jump start solution for this weather.

However, please do your research before buying as there are some mixed reviews on this product
Fakespot = F

Happy deal hunting!
Thanks for the video link.

I bought this for 127$ a while back, I guess I'm returning and getting that car rover one

My diesel cars have a hard time starting we brand new batteries, don't want to be stuck on the road with an shoddy battery
Dec 22, 2001
456 posts
225 upvotes
milkmilk wrote: I have been thinking about this one for a while. Lithium boosters with solid reviews are basically non existent. Out of the bunch, I feel that this might be a better choice.
It's harder to buy-first-think-later with Canadian Tire, though. I have 0 trust in their customer service and return policies.

would you elaborate on the reason you returned it?
Order first think later mentality made me buy it. I thought this product (the NOCO) could also trickle charge a battery (which it can't) and I already owned a li-on battery booster (Cobra jumPack) which I bought many years ago for around $100. It's quite a useful device, used it multiple times to boost a vehicle without having to recharge. When the amazon delivery guy arrived I refused the package, sent it back, full refund no questions.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Seems like this is a generic one just branded by noco. I bought an identical one from Walmart last year on clearence for $40, it's branded everstart. My most recent jump start with it was on a IS350 that was completely dead. It was -10C out and I last charged it about a month ago. Worked without issue.

The problem with these lithium based chargers is that the batteries don't like to stay fully charged, that will actually kill it. It's best to leave these things charged to 80%.