Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] NOMA 70 Pint Dehumidifier - $199 (45% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 2:24 pm
May 9, 2017
14 posts
altezza86 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 10:48 am
I picked up a Danby 70-pint for $179.99 2 weeks ago at Costco. Although the website shows $299.99.

Not sure which brand is better, but the Danby is performing well, has auto-drain feature as well.
Which Costco was it? I might buy it from the warehouse too if it has such a steep discount. Do Costcos normally have dehumidifiers in the warehouse?
Mar 9, 2009
238 posts
41 upvotes
mak5im wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 12:08 am
Which Costco was it? I might buy it from the warehouse too if it has such a steep discount. Do Costcos normally have dehumidifiers in the warehouse?
I got mine at the Downsview location.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2634 posts
681 upvotes
keshan wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 6:26 pm
Costco has Danby 60 pint for 179.99, I am thinking to grab it during the weekend, NOMA has some really bad reviews on CT website, so can't go wrong with Costco
I have the noma from last year sale
It has been on for the past year and a bit more , including last summer and through the winter till now
It has continually functioned well as I hook it directly up to the drain and leave it
But in the summer I sleep down in the basement where the dehumidifier is , and yes I do find it noisy for sleeping. I usually turn it off when I go to sleep and turn back on in the morning.

other than that it has been flawless and has not broken down or been defective in any way
Jan 7, 2013
343 posts
129 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
My brothers Noma dehumidifier died after less than one year. Fortunately he could exchange in store...but doesnt speak much for its longevity.

I have a frigidaire for 3 years that's still working great
Jan 26, 2018
472 posts
213 upvotes
Product quality nowadays is really hit or miss. :(
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
1030 posts
96 upvotes
keshan wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 6:26 pm
Costco has Danby 60 pint for 179.99, I am thinking to grab it during the weekend, NOMA has some really bad reviews on CT website, so can't go wrong with Costco
Deal still on? Is this in store only? I cannot find this online :(
May 9, 2017
14 posts
Yes it's in store only. Found it at the Ellesmere & Warden Costco too.
Jan 26, 2018
472 posts
213 upvotes
Corinthein wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 8:35 am
Deal still on? Is this in store only? I cannot find this online :(
That's in store only, I cannot even find this one one their website, and 179.99 it's just a regular price item.
Nov 11, 2007
222 posts
4 upvotes
Cambridge
Hi do the Costco ones run 24 /7. I realize the condenser only comes on when needed but I find the one I have now the motor runs continuously. I have it in my living area and it is extremely loud. Thanks
Oct 19, 2010
39 posts
93 upvotes
Homesimpson wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 8:11 pm
I got the LG 70 pint from costco for $349.99. I f'n love this thing. Had a 50-pint whirlpool before that was loud as could be and leaked. The LG is quiet enough even on full fan speed that it's in my living space (compared to the whirlpool that you couldn't have anywhere near you it was so loud). And it's an absolute beast at keeping the humidity where you want it. I was leaving the windows open when it was 90% humidity outside and raining and this thing kept it at 50% humidity inside. The whirlpool couldn't get the humidity below 69% when I plugged in the LG, it had it down at 50% in about an hour.

Of all the appliances I've owned this LG dehumidifier and my dyson vacuum are both products that were more than worth their price tag. The LG is $349 at costco, but it's $399 everywhere else (home depot and bestbuy were the only other places I could find it; and home depot was sold out).

All to say I just can't recommend anything other than this LG now. The money you save on a "noma" most likely won't be worth it.
I was looking to buy that LG too; but I have a concern to buy a LG dehumidifier.

I asked Costco.ca that LG dehumidifiers have only 1 year warranty; where else Danby has 2 years warranty. The quality of humidifiers these days are all hit and miss. My last unit died after 3-4 years. What a waste? more plastic metal junk goes to landfill.

LG Canada only sell their service parts to authorized repair partners. I had a LG electric stove and the repair service even within warranty was expensive. LG Parts used to be available from Sears Canada (but no more).

Thanks for suggestion. I am sure LG runs great when it is new.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8603 posts
1915 upvotes
London
I vaguely remember CT having a "no return" policy on AC units and dehumids. Perhaps this was only in one location I was at, but something to keep in mind if you get a DOA unit (which happens, the soldering ain't the best) because they will refer you to warranty.

The only place I would trust is Costco for this sort of item.
Dec 16, 2017
33 posts
33 upvotes
ottawa
BigBadPandaBear wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 11:40 am
I was looking to buy that LG too; but I have a concern to buy a LG dehumidifier.

I asked Costco.ca that LG dehumidifiers have only 1 year warranty; where else Danby has 2 years warranty. The quality of humidifiers these days are all hit and miss. My last unit died after 3-4 years. What a waste? more plastic metal junk goes to landfill.
I'm no expert by any means but my guess is that the more wear and tear on the machine the quicker it will break down. That's partly why I love the LG... it's so good at getting the humidity down that it's really not on that much. Mostly just the fan, which stays on so the machine can monitor the humidity in the room. Although you could easily turn that off also and simply turn the machine on when you notice (with a hygrometer) the humidity needs addressing.

What people really need is an efficiency rating on these things. Because if LG can get the job done in 25% of the time it took my whirlpool...then the LG will run (in hours) over 4 years what the whirlpool would run in a year. Sort of like mileage on the car... they might both be the same age but one has 25k on the dial (LG) and the other has 100k (whirlpool). The one with 100k is obviously going to break down first.

Anyway, I don't know enough about dehumidifiers to really compare, but so far I'm loving this LG.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1103 posts
142 upvotes
Homesimpson wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 1:11 pm
I'm no expert by any means but my guess is that the more wear and tear on the machine the quicker it will break down. That's partly why I love the LG... it's so good at getting the humidity down that it's really not on that much. Mostly just the fan, which stays on so the machine can monitor the humidity in the room. Although you could easily turn that off also and simply turn the machine on when you notice (with a hygrometer) the humidity needs addressing.

What people really need is an efficiency rating on these things. Because if LG can get the job done in 25% of the time it took my whirlpool...then the LG will run (in hours) over 4 years what the whirlpool would run in a year. Sort of like mileage on the car... they might both be the same age but one has 25k on the dial (LG) and the other has 100k (whirlpool). The one with 100k is obviously going to break down first.

Anyway, I don't know enough about dehumidifiers to really compare, but so far I'm loving this LG.

They do. Its in: Efficiency (Energy Factor) (L/kWh). If the unit is energy star rated you can see it on the energy star website. If its not, then either its not efficient or they just didnt bother to have it tested which normally happens with cheaper models.

Here is a link to the unit in the first post.

https://www.energystar.gov/productfinde ... ls/2282857

It seems like 2.0L/kwh is a fairly average efficiency based on the energy star website.

Here are the Danby's. They are also 2.0L/kwh except the 95pints/day version which is 2.8. Not sure what the model numbers are at Costco.

https://www.energystar.gov/productfinde ... lter=Danby
Oct 19, 2010
39 posts
93 upvotes
I went to Costco after I saw keshan's post and brought the 60 pints/day model (for house up to 4000 sq feets) for C$179.99. The model number is Danby - DDR060BFCWDB (this model not sold on Costco.ca)

The price at is good with 2 years warranty and it is from Costco. Let hope it last couple years.

Thank you to Keshan's post.
Sep 22, 2014
302 posts
93 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I recommend the king brand from Canadian tire. They're 179.99 but only 42pints but it's much quieter then the noma. Great reviews too! I hd a whirlpool which lasted 7years but it was loud as heck.