Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

NOMA 8-Outlet Power Bar with 4 USB Outlets, 3-ft, 14.99 after 70% off, starts Sep 5th

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2019 4:11 pm
Jan 9, 2007
793 posts
267 upvotes
Markham

[Canadian Tire] NOMA 8-Outlet Power Bar with 4 USB Outlets, 3-ft, 14.99 after 70% off, starts Sep 5th

live Thursday Sep 5, ends Sep 8
Part of the BIG RED Weekend, can preview the deals here: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/flyer.ht ... flyer_2019

looks like the same thing was for $16.99 Aug 2018 https://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/home- ... ts-3-ft-2/
prime cable alternatives start $19.99 https://www.primecables.ca/en/c-16967-s ... &view=grid
Koodo $60/10gb
Rogers $39.99/150Mbps download/unlimited

if you know of a better deal, please PM me
20 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
2534 posts
2275 upvotes
Pickering
Thanks, OP!
CTC employee
Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $75/60GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $40/20GB + $40/50GB/BYOD
Dec 7, 2011
8 posts
1 upvote
VICTORIA
Do you think this will be safe to plug a microwave, water cooler dispenser or a small deep freezer? I’ve always heard it’s not safe to plug these into anything but the wall directly.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2779 posts
4009 upvotes
Toronto
Captaincanuck79 wrote: Do you think this will be safe to plug a microwave, water cooler dispenser or a small deep freezer? I’ve always heard it’s not safe to plug these into anything but the wall directly.
These have built in fuse so if you overload it will stop automatically. Nowadays, its no issue. If you run the microwave and the deep freezer kicks in at the same time you might trip the powerbar though.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1660 posts
4010 upvotes
Captaincanuck79 wrote: Do you think this will be safe to plug a microwave, water cooler dispenser or a small deep freezer? I’ve always heard it’s not safe to plug these into anything but the wall directly.
Yeah and my hairdryer have a piece of paper on the plug that say "Do not use near humidity".
Last edited by Admin on Jul 32th, 2027 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5237 posts
3507 upvotes
Wish the plug was slim, otherwise this looks great for price
Jul 16, 2017
274 posts
300 upvotes
wahabk1234 wrote: Will it fast charge an s9?
Very slowly!
4 USB charging ports with a total of 4.2A for your handheld devices
Aug 22, 2019
339 posts
421 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
These are good in toy rooms and kids rooms where their friends come over and always want to plug in
Ontario based Independent Travel Consultant
Mar 21, 2005
434 posts
355 upvotes
GTA
In order to have peace of mind, I would not recommend doing so. You should only plug in any one of those appliances and unplug if you do not need it. There are many issues with people abusing powerbar as not everyone in a family is keeping a conscious mind of fire safety. Of coarse there is always surge protection and insurance claim, but do you really want to rely on those.

FYI, all kitchen receptacle outlets are connected to two separate 15 amp wiring circuit (or simply put each kitchen receptacle is rated to 30 amp with 15 amp per outlet) so you can plug in two appliances on the same receptacle without blowing the fuse. Using a power bar with 15 amp rating can only extend the power supply for one appliance.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2779 posts
4009 upvotes
Toronto
coolnut wrote: In order to have peace of mind, I would not recommend doing so. You should only plug in any one of those appliances and unplug if you do not need it. There are many issues with people abusing powerbar as not everyone in a family is keeping a conscious mind of fire safety. Of coarse there is always surge protection and insurance claim, but do you really want to rely on those.

FYI, all kitchen receptacle outlets are connected to two separate 15 amp wiring circuit (or simply put each kitchen receptacle is rated to 30 amp with 15 amp per outlet) so you can plug in two appliances on the same receptacle without blowing the fuse. Using a power bar with 15 amp rating can only extend the power supply for one appliance.
Is this a new building standard? I am pretty sure, my house built 10 yrs ago, each outlet in the kitchen (2 plugs one top one bottom) are hooked up to one 20amp circuit.

I have not seen any receptacle that calls for a 15 amp line direct to the top and another 15 amp line direct to the bottom. The only possible 30Amp circuit is maybe the electric stove plug supplying 240v.

There is zero risk of fire IMO if you hook up the microwave and a hairdryer to the same powerbar because it is fused at 15amp and your outlet is fused at 20 amp considering it is also using the 12/2 cable.

You would risk a fire, if you plug it both items direct to the wall, but the wire is using a 14/2 cable and not protected by a fuse (aka directly connected to the main panel). Since a 14/2 cable is suppose to rated to 15 amps, if you have items drawing at 20 amps over a long time using a 15amp rated cable, it will overheat and possibly cause a fire. These cases are much more likely to occur in old old homes built with the green aluminum wires. They even have paper wrapped around them lol.......... major fire hazard.
Apr 14, 2007
346 posts
379 upvotes
That 4.2A total isn't very clear - how much can a single USB port push? Is it at least 2A?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6236 posts
1772 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote: Is this a new building standard? I am pretty sure, my house built 10 yrs ago, each outlet in the kitchen (2 plugs one top one bottom) are hooked up to one 20amp circuit.

I have not seen any receptacle that calls for a 15 amp line direct to the top and another 15 amp line direct to the bottom. The only possible 30Amp circuit is maybe the electric stove plug supplying 240v.

There is zero risk of fire IMO if you hook up the microwave and a hairdryer to the same powerbar because it is fused at 15amp and your outlet is fused at 20 amp considering it is also using the 12/2 cable.

You would risk a fire, if you plug it both items direct to the wall, but the wire is using a 14/2 cable and not protected by a fuse (aka directly connected to the main panel). Since a 14/2 cable is suppose to rated to 15 amps, if you have items drawing at 20 amps over a long time using a 15amp rated cable, it will overheat and possibly cause a fire. These cases are much more likely to occur in old old homes built with the green aluminum wires. They even have paper wrapped around them lol.......... major fire hazard.
One of my kitchen receptacles indeed has two seperate 15A connections to the breaker. You can tell if you take out the receptacle and the middle bar that basically joins the top and bottom outlet is broken off (so they are no longer sharing power).
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2779 posts
4009 upvotes
Toronto
azncapcom wrote: One of my kitchen receptacles indeed has two seperate 15A connections to the breaker. You can tell if you take out the receptacle and the middle bar that basically joins the top and bottom outlet is broken off (so they are no longer sharing power).
How new is your house?
Jan 25, 2010
278 posts
361 upvotes
Winnipeg
sonyminidiscman wrote:
How new is your house?
azncapcom wrote:
mines from 2007. I believe my brothers also has the same connection and that house is ffrom the late 90s
Most new houses 2010+ will use 20 amp kitchen outlets, entirely based on the contractor.By code you can still do 15 amp splits. And just to clarify they are not 15a dedicated circuits where the 20a are. If you have two outlets on your counter they will share two 15a circuits split top / bottom for a total for a total of 30a. Where as now when we use 20a circuits the same two plugs would give you 40a total.
Images
  • Screenshot_20190903-213319_Drive.jpg
Last edited by IanHam on Sep 3rd, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6858 posts
5573 upvotes
M-Arkham
pny128 wrote: Is it a known brand?
-"Certain merchandise items are branded specifically for Canadian Tire, NOMA, a company that exists in Canada as a trademark only, offering a wide range of items from Christmas lights to air purifiers, "

pretty much it's an inhouse cdn tire brand, it's decent to a certain extend

I don't trust NOMA christmas light(plenty of horror storry there), but their extension cords and power bars have proven to work as advertised and none of them have died on me yet
Signature removed due to rule violation
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3542 upvotes
This seems like a decent deal.

I bought a Noma surge protector on clearance last summer for 14.98 to replace a cheap one that stopped working.

It’s got 8 outlets but no USB ports. I use it to charge my phone and iPad and for my air conditioner. It works fine. The air conditioner blew the last powerbar.

The USB outlets would be handy. I would buy this if I needed one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)