Shopping Discussion

Canadian Tire OFFICIALLY Price Matches Tire Prices and gives 10% extra in Cdn Tire $

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2015 1:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes

Canadian Tire OFFICIALLY Price Matches Tire Prices and gives 10% extra in Cdn Tire $

(Now that this thread has been moved to "Shopping Discussion", nobody will find this thread and the same question regarding Cdn Tire and Price matching will be repeated over and over in every winter tire thread which is what I was trying to prevent).

For those of you who don't realize it (or have been told otherwise when in-store), Canadian Tire has now put it into print on their website that they will price match (Canadian) competitor's prices on EXACT MODELS of tires. I thought it rather ironic that some Canadian Tire stores wouldn't price match on of all things the one thing that's actually mentioned in the store name!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/Research ... .jsp#price

Buried in their "Car Safety Useful Links"

[QUOTE]Price Match Guarantee

The Canadian Tire Price Match Guarantee:

If you can find the exact same tire at a lower price at another retailer, Canadian Tire will match that price and give you an additional 10% in Canadian Tire 'Money'™.[/QUOTE]

For the record, I successfully PM'd in Ottawa. Check with Automotive first to see if they have your tire size, THEN go to Customer Service to set up the Price Match, THEN go back and purchase the tires from Automotive.

My own experience:
PM'd the General Altimax Arctics @ $92.64 over at www.discountsontires.com
Got an additional $40 back in Cdn Tire money
Including ON enviro fee and taxes minus $40 in Cdn money which I spent later, works out to ~$405.
49 replies
Jul 28, 2011
236 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Tanks, looks like a good deal with extra 10%.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5525 posts
1712 upvotes
Yup, I Pm all my car stuff at CT.
It's not 10% "of the difference" but 10% of the lower price.

It's well worth the hassle and the frowns you get from them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2674 upvotes
Vancouver
Could be worthwhile with some tire brands, but a recent comparison I did on a Michelin tire:

- 1010tires.com (Canadian online retailer): $191, eligible for Michelin $70 rebate on 4, approx. $25 shipping for 4, net = $180

- Costco: $177 (not eligible for Michelin rebate)

- Canadian Tire $167 (not eligible for Michelin rebate)

- Tirerack.com in the U.S. didn't have this particular tire size, but comparing on other sizes, would be pretty similar to Canadian Tire after shipping and brokerage (as long as the tire is made in North America and has no duty). Eligible for Michelin rebate in the U.S., but not if you ship to Canada.

However, after taking my order and charging my credit card, Canadian Tire called back to say that they don't actually have these tires and can't get them, even though they showed in stock. :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes
Yup - that 10% of the difference is a futureshop/bestbuy weasel clause. Canadian Tire's 10% of the lower price is way better (and trust me they're not losing money on this because they must be hands-down the largest buyer of General Tires/Continental Tires in the country and getting much better pricing than other shops).
WHO wrote:
Nov 18th, 2011 3:09 pm
Yup, I Pm all my car stuff at CT.
It's not 10% "of the difference" but 10% of the lower price.

It's well worth the hassle and the frowns you get from them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5525 posts
1712 upvotes
Well, the corporation is making huge profit, but not the store.

My friend's father in law manages a CT. Recently, my friend found some oil, I think Royal Purple, at like 9$/quart in some independant store. He bought the receipt to his in-law to get him to price-protect it (same UPC etc and CT sells for like 13$) and after he checked, his cost price (from CT, because he is obliged to order from CT he can't choose his own supplier) was higher! Something like 10.xx$/bottle. So, once again, it's not just the customer who gets ripped off, even the store gets ripped off by the corporation.

For tires, I imagine it's the same thing. CT keeps all the profits by selling it at a higher cost to the actual stores, which are left with minimal margin.

I'm not defending the attitude they give you when you do a price-protect etc... if they're not happy they can become independant or go with a different banner, but... 2 sides to every story.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11632 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
This thread just proves to me how dopey I can be for never thinking of this.

Let me be the first to *thank* the OP.

BTW, are those Generals any good?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
159 upvotes
GTA
I have had dreadful experiences from CT, swore I would never have tire service here again after one very bad experience for even for their awful standards. Cdn tire money, guess you can always find use for that. Will think about it, need winter tires. Costco is the usually best priced place, Kaltire is probably the best place to get tires but is pricey.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2021 upvotes
Nowhere
They've been price matching for years, how is this different? Whether it was in their flyers or not, it was on big signs in the store.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11632 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
wolverine07 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2011 12:06 pm
I have had dreadful experiences from CT, swore I would never have tire service here again after one very bad experience for even for their awful standards. Cdn tire money, guess you can always find use for that. Will think about it, need winter tires. Costco is the usually best priced place, Kaltire is probably the best place to get tires but is pricey.

Can you expand on this a bit plz?

I don't know if I'll just but the tires there and walk out or get them installed there ( depending on pm success).

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes
True they've been price matching for years but several posters have complained about some outlets denying the policy and the difference now is that everyone has access to the corporate website and the policy in print (yes the policy is up on the wall at my location behind the Customer Service Desk, but I'm not sure if it is up everywhere).

Cheap Cat wrote:
Nov 19th, 2011 4:10 pm
They've been price matching for years, how is this different? Whether it was in their flyers or not, it was on big signs in the store.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes
Finding good service at a Canadian Tire is really hit or miss. The previous time I bought a set of Altimax Arctics for another car, I had to go back 2 more times to get the balancing done correctly (and I had to pay extra for the balancing whereas some locations seem to include it in the purchase price?). So this time, I just bought the tires, bought a set of used alloys and got them mounted/balanced and installed elsewhere.
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 19th, 2011 4:37 pm
Can you expand on this a bit plz?

I don't know if I'll just but the tires there and walk out or get them installed there ( depending on pm success).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes
This is pretty unfortunate because you know that Cdn Tire has to be getting quite a good deal since they're buying enough stock for stores coast to coast, and even a store like DiscountsonTires in Quebec can offer them for ~$92/tire compared to a "reg." price of ~$130/tire for the same exact tire. If enough PM's happen though, you'd think there'd start to be some pushback by the individual owners against the HQ and force them to give them better pricing.
WHO wrote:
Nov 19th, 2011 9:06 am
Well, the corporation is making huge profit, but not the store.

For tires, I imagine it's the same thing. CT keeps all the profits by selling it at a higher cost to the actual stores, which are left with minimal margin.

I'm not defending the attitude they give you when you do a price-protect etc... if they're not happy they can become independant or go with a different banner, but... 2 sides to every story.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes
General Altimax Arctics are quite good (they're a tire that has been revived by the parent Co. Continental Tire under a new name here in N. America - previously they were the Gislaved Nordfrost 3. Conti owns both General and Gislaved so can bring a pretty good tire to the North American market this way). I've had them on a small light car for the past 3 winters and haven't gotten stuck even though the car felt a little "floaty" - looking fwd to driving them on my latest car to see if the extra weight makes them even better.
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 19th, 2011 10:06 am
This thread just proves to me how dopey I can be for never thinking of this.

Let me be the first to *thank* the OP.

BTW, are those Generals any good?