Shopping Discussion

Canadian Tire OFFICIALLY Price Matches Tire Prices and gives 10% extra in Cdn Tire $

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2015 1:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51223 posts
15859 upvotes
Will CT match prices on competitor's websites? It's hard to find a flyer or ad for my 185/70R14 tire size.

I'm looking to purchase Michelin X-I2 but Costco does not have stock and for those locations that do, I was told they are likely held for customers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes
Guy, did you even read the 1st post in this thread?
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 20th, 2011 4:18 pm
Will CT match prices on competitor's websites? It's hard to find a flyer or ad for my 185/70R14 tire size.

I'm looking to purchase Michelin X-I2 but Costco does not have stock and for those locations that do, I was told they are likely held for customers.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51223 posts
15859 upvotes
mangoman wrote:
Nov 20th, 2011 5:10 pm
Guy, did you even read the 1st post in this thread?

Mangoman. I thanked you for the OP but unless I'm blind, no where did I see you mention price matching with a website only price. That info may have been included in the CT link you had provided but I didn't bother to check.

I just ordered for Active Green + Ross just before the store closed at 5pm as it may be a hassle to call one CT store after another to find out if they stocked my tire size and then to bring a competitor's quote if it isn't on the website. It turns out that the pricing info is on Active Green + Ross' website but I'm not going to bother to find out if the local CT locations will match the pricing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes
Thanks for the Thanks but I thought I was pretty explicit in my experience that I did indeed PM with www.discountsontires.com (a website for a tire vendor in Quebec) and even gave the pricing for the tire size I was looking at (maybe you just need to reformat your screen size / webpage zoom settings :) ).
For the record, I successfully PM'd in Ottawa. Check with Automotive first to see if they have your tire size, THEN go to Customer Service to set up the Price Match, THEN go back and purchase the tires from Automotive.

My own experience:
PM'd the General Altimax Arctics @ $92.64 over at www.discountsontires.com
Got an additional $40 back in Cdn Tire money
Including ON enviro fee and taxes minus $40 in Cdn money which I spent later, works out to ~$405.

All I did in my experience was bring a printout of the website page showing the tire with the model/tire size/ load rating and show it to Customer service and they verified it for themselves (they have a computer to check the website/details if they want or if they don't believe your printout/ad).

alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 20th, 2011 6:24 pm
Mangoman. I thanked you for the OP but unless I'm blind, no where did I see you mention price matching with a website only price. That info may have been included in the CT link you had provided but I didn't bother to check.

I just ordered for Active Green + Ross just before the store closed at 5pm as it may be a hassle to call one CT store after another to find out if they stocked my tire size and then to bring a competitor's quote if it isn't on the website. It turns out that the pricing info is on Active Green + Ross' website but I'm not going to bother to find out if the local CT locations will match the pricing.
Nov 8, 2005
829 posts
134 upvotes
Ottawa
wouldnt pricematch any tires for me from a website (tiretrends),, and alot of other stupid things went on that i dare not say on here,all in all I went with ok tire, more expensive but treated me like a customer
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51223 posts
15859 upvotes
idunno1987 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 11:14 am
wouldnt pricematch any tires for me from a website (tiretrends),, and alot of other stupid things went on that i dare not say on here,all in all I went with ok tire, more expensive but treated me like a customer

Probably the same basic reasons why I didn't bother to go with CT. Many CT locations are independently owned so they may not want to part with the 10% in CT money. With tires, pricing will likely be based off a website as only the cheapest and smallest size may be advertised on flyers. 10% off difference is good if I don't end up wasting more than one hour calling.

Also, my tire size was out of stock at the Michelin warehouse according to Costco as of Sunday morning so if I wasted more time calling, I may end up losing the $70 rebate and not get the tires in time for the winter season. The local Active Green + Ross only had two sets for my tire size left and because it is 14", doubt it's very common nowadays.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes
idunno1987 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 11:14 am
Which is why I posted this thread - folks were getting a hard time from some locations, so I posted this once the policy "suddenly" appeared on their website last week (this would give folks extra backup if needed by directing them to the Canadian Tire policy on their own website).

alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 11:28 am
Probably the same basic reasons why I didn't bother to go with CT. Many CT locations are independently owned so they may not want to part with the 10% in CT money. With tires, pricing will likely be based off a website as only the cheapest and smallest size may be advertised on flyers. 10% off difference is good if I don't end up wasting more than one hour calling.

Also, my tire size was out of stock at the Michelin warehouse according to Costco as of Sunday morning so if I wasted more time calling, I may end up losing the $70 rebate and not get the tires in time for the winter season. The local Active Green + Ross only had two sets for my tire size left and because it is 14", doubt it's very common nowadays.

That's too bad you weren't able to get take advantage of the pricing (not sure if there would have been any advantage though on the Michelins) but glad to hear that you got the tires you wanted on your car for this winter! And just to clear up any confusion for others, @ Cdn Tire it's 10% of the LOWER PRICE that you're getting them to match (much better than 10% of the difference between prices).
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51223 posts
15859 upvotes
Yes, this thread will be very helpful to those looking for more expensive tires (possibly selling for a broader price range) especially this coming winter season. Hopefully, corporate head office can police the franchisees that make it hard for people to submit a PM.
Oct 15, 2009
81 posts
58 upvotes
CT at Coventry Road (Ottawa) has just refused to PM Altimax. They say it should be a store, not a website. Stupid. I returned the tires (didn't install them yet) and got a full refund. Will try at another location.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11636 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
takun wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 2:29 pm
CT at Coventry Road (Ottawa) has just refused to PM Altimax. They say it should be a store, not a website. Stupid. I returned the tires (didn't install them yet) and got a full refund. Will try at another location.

I wonder what the HO would have to say about that.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes
What a bunch of @$%$%%%! You should have told them that it's the website of a store in St-Jerome (like www.canadiantire.ca is the website of a store called Canadian Tire).

And that is the exact location where I did my PM ( I went to Customer Service first and got the PM approved before going to the Automotive section to get the tires in a cart and then returned to Customer Service to pay for them).
takun wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 2:29 pm
Oct 15, 2009
81 posts
58 upvotes
mangoman wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 3:20 pm
And that is the exact location where I did my PM ( I went to Customer Service first and got the PM approved before going to the Automotive section
That's good to know, thanks. They had my new tires on their rack in store, I was waiting for a cold weather to install them. Decided to install today and do a pricematch before. So I went directly to customer service, spent like 30 minutes for nothing. I asked her for a manager, she said: "I'm the manager of this department!". Then she left to ask someone else about pricematching, returned back and showed me some prints from their website stating that they don't do pricematch against online stores. The page and text looked different from what author of this thread mentioned in his first message.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2772 posts
426 upvotes
That's really infuriating because the blurb from their site, which specifically mentions this is for TIRES, only says it has to be a retailer (no conditions on it being local/online/down the street/this province, etc.)

Price Match Guarantee

The Canadian Tire Price Match Guarantee:

If you can find the exact same tire at a lower price at another retailer, Canadian Tire will match that price and give you an additional 10% in Canadian Tire 'Money'™.

I would print the webpage with their logo on it and try again on another day/time.
takun wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 3:28 pm
That's good to know, thanks. They had my new tires on their rack in store, I was waiting for a cold weather to install them. Decided to install today and do a pricematch before. So I went directly to customer service, spent like 30 minutes for nothing. I asked her for a manager, she said: "I'm the manager of this department!". Then she left to ask someone else about pricematching, returned back and showed me some prints from their website stating that they don't do pricematch against online stores. The page and text looked different from what author of this thread mentioned in his first message.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5525 posts
1712 upvotes
I have made a number of PMs at CT using printouts of WM's website (Prestone, Oil, etc).