Shopping Discussion

Canadian Tire OFFICIALLY Price Matches Tire Prices and gives 10% extra in Cdn Tire $

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2015 1:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5523 posts
1704 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 2:58 pm
I wonder what the HO would have to say about that.

Having dealt with CT HQ in the past, they don't give a ....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6809 posts
313 upvotes
Ottawa
takun wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 2:29 pm
CT at Coventry Road (Ottawa) has just refused to PM Altimax. They say it should be a store, not a website. Stupid. I returned the tires (didn't install them yet) and got a full refund. Will try at another location.

Try the Blair location as I had it PM there without any issues. Seriously super easy. They had no problems giving me 10% of the lower price too!
Oct 15, 2009
58 posts
21 upvotes
Still no luck, this time in Kanata. It's ridiculous. Manager was smiling in a disgusting way and kept making up reasons for not price matching. He changed his mind every time I asked him different questions.
Here are some of them:
manager: - Oh, it needs to be a store, not a website
me: - hey, here's a guy from redflagdeals forum who already did it in Ottawa (showing him printed page)
manager: - Oh, we don't do this anymore
me: - since when? that guy posted it just yesterday
manager: - we don't do it since yesterday
me: - what about your statement on the website? it says "other retailers", it doesn't say anything about online
manager: - that's your interpretation, my interpretation is different
me: - there is also a real store in Quebeq, so you must pricematch
manager: - no, it should be in Ottawa
me: - your pricematch statement doesn't say anything about the distance
manager: - it's your interpretation, mine is different. Call customer relations.

Needless to say that during all our conversation he was doing his stuff staying almost with his back to me.

If I had more time, I would stay there more, but that pissed me off and I left.

Any opinions?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2759 posts
421 upvotes
What a ****** - you should have gotten his name and once he gave it you should have informed him it was so that you can let Customer Relations know that he's not abiding by their advertised Corp Policy. If it were me, I would start a thread here describing how the Kanata Canadian Tire location is refusing to abide by Canadian Tire's Corporate Policy and copy CTC in an email with a link to the thread.

Not sure why you're having so much bad luck ... my only other advice would be to either call around and see who else in town has better pricing installed (perhaps Active Green + Ross or maybe TiresPlus - ask if they can match/come close to the discountsontires price you have) or else go to the Gatineau side and try the PM there since Quebec Consumer Protection laws are much stricter with teeth to back them up when complaints are filed esp. when it comes to false advertising.

Btw, don't forget, you can actually buy the tires from www.discountsontires.com for (~$20 shipping) - but you won't get the 10% extra back that's all.
takun wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2011 11:03 am
Still no luck, this time in Kanata. It's ridiculous. Manager was smiling in a disgusting way and kept making up reasons for not price matching. He changed his mind every time I asked him different questions.
Here are some of them:
manager: - Oh, it needs to be a store, not a website
me: - hey, here's a guy from redflagdeals forum who already did it in Ottawa (showing him printed page)
manager: - Oh, we don't do this anymore
me: - since when? that guy posted it just yesterday
manager: - we don't do it since yesterday
me: - what about your statement on the website? it says "other retailers", it doesn't say anything about online
manager: - that's your interpretation, my interpretation is different
me: - there is also a real store in Quebeq, so you must pricematch
manager: - no, it should be in Ottawa
me: - your pricematch statement doesn't say anything about the distance
manager: - it's your interpretation, mine is different. Call customer relations.

Needless to say that during all our conversation he was doing his stuff staying almost with his back to me.

If I had more time, I would stay there more, but that pissed me off and I left.

Any opinions?
Oct 15, 2009
58 posts
21 upvotes
And here's success story, finally.

setell, thank you so much for advise. I've just come back from Blair location, happy and fully satisfied.
That was amasing customer service, best I ever seen, thanks to a manager (believe he is) from AutoService Dept. Not mentioning any names (don't know if I can), but he's a tall guy in red CT-shirt there, sitting in his own room beside the AutoService counter. He made my day. I would say my week.
He kindly listened my experience with other locations and did everything fast and smooth. He confirmed there is a new policy about tires PM and other locations probably don't know or don't care.
He said you guys can come and he'll give you the best service.

I can't believe such positive, friendly and responsible persons still exist.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1111 posts
248 upvotes
Priced matched at Edmonton Millwoods store #478 the general altimax tires 215/65/r16 with discountontires.com
After all was said and done I realized when I got home I didn't get the 10% CT money. I phoned them up to save myself the hassle of going back there and they told me what they did was "an exception" to keep me happy. Then gave me the run around how they don't price match web based stores... blah blah which is funny because the policy posted on their website doesn't state those exceptions.

Got their general manager's name and store number. Phoned CT corporate customer relations and the cust. relations rep tried to deny my claim too but she eventually opened up a file for me.

I'll make a new thread on the outcome of events that unfold later but just wanted to give everyone a heads up - make sure you get everything done right the first time or your experience may go downhill from there.

Anyone interested in the receipt/invoice? Just in case they try to deny you a price match, the invoice itself says "...priced matched discountontires..."
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11468 posts
2872 upvotes
GTA
takun wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2011 1:44 pm
He confirmed there is a new policy about tires PM and other locations probably don't know or don't care.

Which is what exactly?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5523 posts
1704 upvotes
From experience, nothing will happen by calling CT office... of course as always YMMV.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2759 posts
421 upvotes
New policy meaning it's the same policy as before except now the one on their website explicitly says that it applies to tires.
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2011 6:31 pm
Which is what exactly?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11468 posts
2872 upvotes
GTA
mangoman wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2011 8:52 pm
New policy meaning it's the same policy as before except now the one on their website explicitly says that it applies to tires.

OK. I wish it would go that extra step and say 'online Canadian stores included' ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1111 posts
248 upvotes
Funny thing is even their customer relations reps don't know about this policy when I directed them to their site.
Sep 9, 2009
2 posts
Ontario
Hey Guys,

After reading this thread I decided to give good ole' Canadian Tire a try when purchasing performance winter tires for my 335i.

I visited my local Barrie Canadian Tire (Mapleview location) and spoke with customer service regarding how to place the order for my winter tires. The lady, not knowing how to do pricematch, immediately called her manager.

The manager, go figure, was completely not helpful. She told me, at first, that:

- Canadian Tire only price matches to their own website (which doesn't really make any sense)

She then, when pressed, said:

- They only price match brick and mortar locations

Suffice to say I got nowhere very quickly.

The shocking thing to me is, shouldn't our experiences be the same at every Canadian Tire store? Furthermore, what's the point of having a policy if you're not going to honour it? Price match is intended to keep customers, but with the way I was treated I feel like I never want to deal with Canadian Tire again ... I felt like they treated me as if I'm doing something wrong... All I was trying to do was keep my business with Canadian Tire (don't even care about the 10% extra), and save myself $500 (my tires were $2000 with Canadian Tire versus $1500 at 1010tires.com).

Just a terrible experience all in all :(
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11468 posts
2872 upvotes
GTA
Wutime wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 6:26 pm

The manager, go figure, was completely not helpful. She told me, at first, that:

- Canadian Tire only price matches to their own website (which doesn't really make any sense)

She then, when pressed, said:

- They only price match brick and mortar locations

Other day I was in CT and decided to ask manager same question about PM'ing online store. I got the same answers as you. First one made me shake my head: "Yeah, we pricematch other Canadian Tires".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)