Tags:
None
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9403 posts
966 upvotes
GTA
Sounds to me Canadian Tire really screwed up on the eco fee implementation (more than any other retailer). I am refusing to shop there until things get sorted out. And, even then, I will probably shop there less than I normally would....
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
[QUOTE]“Eco fees were not intended to generate profit"[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I can understand when they charge it for motor oil or even paint where there is something left for recycling. But for laundry detergent or even bleach which is consumed 100% and bottle or jug is recycled with other recyclables - that I cannot understand.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6085 posts
2378 upvotes
Alberta
I just bought a can of spray paint from CT and there was a $.10 eco charge on the receipt.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3954 posts
250 upvotes
I was charged 28 cents for some AA batteries. :cry:
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2296 posts
178 upvotes
As a general rule, I've been watching the subtotal on the cash registers ever since July 1. I'll then confirm with the cashier to see the total to confirm if any eco fees are charged. If there's even one cent in eco fees charged, I'll tell the cashier to cancel it and then just leave the store with the stuff all there. I've done this three times already. Really holds up everything like the line. Follow my lead folks. Do this enough times and the stores will eventually eat the fee. Their own lobbyists runs Stewardship Ontario anyway.
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
What I find interesting is that retailers NEVER seem to undercharge. When an 'error' :rolleyes: is made it's always in their favour.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1168 posts
53 upvotes
I wonder if you could SCOP this? :D
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1110 posts
235 upvotes
robster77 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 4:13 pm
As a general rule, I've been watching the subtotal on the cash registers ever since July 1. I'll then confirm with the cashier to see the total to confirm if any eco fees are charged. If there's even one cent in eco fees charged, I'll tell the cashier to cancel it and then just leave the store with the stuff all there. I've done this three times already. Really holds up everything like the line. Follow my lead folks. Do this enough times and the stores will eventually eat the fee. Their own lobbyists runs Stewardship Ontario anyway.
I don't think the cashier will cahge much and I don't think the message you are trying to send will go much beyond the break room.

So is it just Can Tire and Home Depot doing it?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
veryboredguy wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 7:16 pm
I saw a sign posted next to cash registers at rona.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2296 posts
178 upvotes
veryboredguy wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 7:16 pm
I don't think the cashier will cahge much and I don't think the message you are trying to send will go much beyond the break room.

No, cashiers won't care but the store managers will when they see backed up lines and angry customers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6030 posts
583 upvotes
SW Ontario
robster77 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 10:08 pm
No, cashiers won't care but the store managers will when they see backed up lines and angry customers.
If it happens a lot it will make a difference. I'm going to keep a copy of the price list. If it's more than the price on the list I'm causing a scene.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2606 posts
201 upvotes
Markham
robster77 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 4:13 pm
No they won't. The eco tax just get buried in the price and none will be the wiser. That is what SO wants them to do in the first place. This way they can charge whatever they want.

Costco, when I still have the membership, put up visible signs said it is fighting the gov't pressure to include the electronic recycling fee in its sell price.