Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Pennzoil Platinum Full Synth - $31.19 minus $10 MIR

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 8:27 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1074 posts
479 upvotes
Edmonton

[Canadian Tire] Pennzoil Platinum Full Synth - $31.19 minus $10 MIR

5W30, 5W20, 0W20 available.

$21.19 + tax after factoring in MIR.

Ultra Platinum also available for $34.79 minus $10 MIR. (Unnecessary IMO, just go for Platinum which is still full synth)

Rebate link: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/promotion ... E3L2NhLw==

***If you spend $50+ online or in store until eod July 2 you will get a coupon for $0.10 per litre of gas at CT Gas stations as well!***
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 30th, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title edit
63 replies
Jun 13, 2011
784 posts
502 upvotes
Picked up a couple jugs of 5w20 yesterday. Noticed the jug design is completely different. I feel like someone is going to put oil in their rad Crying Face.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
2106 posts
3926 upvotes
Surrey
So we could buy a max of 4 x 5 litre jugs to receive $40 rebate per address?
Aug 16, 2015
198 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I use Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Synthetic Motor Oil, 0w-20 for my honda cr-v.
Is this better than Mobil 1?
Dec 12, 2012
337 posts
392 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Phoriver wrote: Picked up a couple jugs of 5w20 yesterday. Noticed the jug design is completely different. I feel like someone is going to put oil in their rad Crying Face.
If they do and post their experience on Reddit, I'm quite sure people would be face-palming really hard. Jokes aside, antifreeze doesn't always come in a yellow bottle with the exception of Prestone (yellow, black, and grey bottles).
jaksdj22 wrote: So we could buy a max of 4 x 5 litre jugs to receive $40 rebate per address?
You should be able to buy 5 (@ $2 per L rebate) and get the maximum of $48 dollars back for the year.
Avisnak wrote: I use Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Synthetic Motor Oil, 0w-20 for my honda cr-v.
Considering both are synthetic, it would be difficult to tell if one is better or not without first trying the oil and/or doing an oil analysis (Blackstone Labs). Some engines may favour a different type oil or manufacturers. The amount of choices between most synthetic oils are mainly based on the additive packages they may or may not include. Pennzoil Platinum & Platinum Ultra are for the most part the same with the exception of additional detergents, friction modifiers, etc., which they may include.

Ultimately, if you are not under the powertrain warranty, go with whatever oil that seems to work best with your car. For me, Pennzoil is only one that is typically always available, on sale often, and has yearly MIRs.
Last edited by SagaraS246 on Jun 30th, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 26, 2010
375 posts
1600 upvotes
BC
The rebate link doesn't seem to be working.
May 10, 2014
58 posts
77 upvotes
ON
Avisnak wrote: I use Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Synthetic Motor Oil, 0w-20 for my honda cr-v.

If you do a Google search for "bitog m1 vs pp" you'll find forum threads of people with thousands of posts arguing which is better... Realistically, they're both top tier synthetics and will probably be comparable for your application.

A lot of people will likely suggest that you buy whichever is cheaper, unless the peace of mind of sticking with what you know is worth the price premium to you.
Dec 12, 2012
337 posts
392 upvotes
Saskatchewan
gw105 wrote: The rebate link doesn't seem to be working.
Still works for me, try private browsing, incognito mode, or a different browser.
Apr 26, 2010
375 posts
1600 upvotes
BC
SagaraS246 wrote: Still works for me, try private browsing, incognito mode, or a different browser.
Thanks. I just ended up searching for it in the google machine :)
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1788 posts
2625 upvotes
I've had enough of these Pennzoil deals. I'M WAY TOO STOCKED UP ON OIL! Lol Gotta love this community! :D
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
204 upvotes
SYN oil is oil is oil. they meet standards. No need to spend time to come up with the best brand; thats like debating which brand gas is the best. As far as I see from engineering they are equally effective for everyday cars.

I use 0W-20 as my trips are short and I don't drive that much. I wouldn't notice any benefit from Extended or Plat plus with my driving (10K/year)
Aug 16, 2015
198 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How long can i keep the oil jug in my basement without open it? 5 years?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1788 posts
2625 upvotes
Avisnak wrote: How long can i keep the oil jug in my basement without open it? 5 years?
That's the consensus. But engine oil technically does not have an expiration date. Personally, I just keep mine in the basement - stable cold temperature and away from sunlight.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
not bad, i bought it last month i think , it was 36$ or 38$...rebate from penzzoil is pretty fast and easy u just upload the receipt and they send u a check for 10 bucks! i think i still have that check in my wallet lol

might have lost check i dont see it in my wallet...does CT take CT gcs as payment for online purchases? i have gcs from shell 7x promo
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Dec 12, 2012
337 posts
392 upvotes
Saskatchewan
mikka2017 wrote: not bad, i bought it last month i think , it was 36$ or 38$...rebate from penzzoil is pretty fast and easy u just upload the receipt and they send u a check for 10 bucks! i think i still have that check in my wallet lol

might have lost check i dont see it in my wallet...does CT take CT gcs as payment for online purchases? i have gcs from shell 7x promo
Canadian Tire does not accept gift cards for online purchases for their Pay & Pickup program.

Uploading the receipt is really easy, though, the turn around time for sending the cheque can be hit or miss. The first time around it took about 3-4 months to process the rebate and send out the refund by mail. Second time, was a much better experience, it took about a month to 1.5, not too bad for $30 bucks.

Source: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/in-store-pickup.html (last drop down FAQ).
Jan 1, 2008
576 posts
230 upvotes
Brossard
Thanks OP. Got the deal this morning (0w20 at the Greenfield Park location). They had the regular price posted on the shelf, but it scanned in at the right price at the cash.

Only a few bottles of 0w20 left, quite good quantities of the others.
Apr 26, 2010
375 posts
1600 upvotes
BC
Strange that it only lets you submit 1 5L jug of platinum and/or 1 5L jug of platinum ultra at a time. I bought 5 jugs, 3 ultra and 2 platinum, and I had to submit the form 3 times with the same receipt. Hopefully they won't give me any grief over that.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4570 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Phoriver wrote: Picked up a couple jugs of 5w20 yesterday. Noticed the jug design is completely different. I feel like someone is going to put oil in their rad Crying Face.
Before the design change, the Pennzoil dino juice was in a yellow bottle too.

Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1074 posts
479 upvotes
Edmonton
I normally do 8k change intervals on my LR2 with a Mann filter (~$14) which is apparently what the dealerships use. I decided to try the Fram Ultra Synth filter (which was also on sale for ~$21) from CT when I picked up the oil. It says up to 24,000km change interval on it.

Now Land Rover Canada says the OCI for the 3.2L LR2 is 8,000km. Land Rover USA says 7500 miles which is 12,000km. I can only assume the difference because of our harsher winters. I know oil lasts a really long time but its the filters that cause it to get contaminated quickly. Should I keep doing 8K intervals or get more mileage out of the oil if using a better filter? Price isn't an issue...especially when I can get this oil for $21~ after rebate haha, just curious.

Also at some point do I have to look at switching to a high mileage oil? I just hit 130k on the vehicle. Doesn't seem to burn any oil or leak.

Thanks for the input.
Dec 12, 2012
337 posts
392 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Dodge has an OCI of 16,000km or 1 year for their 2013+ Grand Caravan's using 5W-20. Though, I had to go down to 12-13,000km due to the fact the filter was delaminating from the glued filter peats, having a topside cartridge filter makes oil changes and inspection of the filter easy.

Oil does last a long time, though I wouldn't go to the extreme OCIs to what the guys on BITOG run. The oil might be fine, though, the detergents, additives, and harsh weather conditions in the majority of Canada will likely have an adverse effect on the longevity of the oil within your engine.

You only need high mileage oil, in my experience, when you car starts losing oil from older seals or when it burns oil. But, honestly at that stage you should probably start looking for a new engine or vehicle in the future.

I'm assuming the warranty on the car has long expired, so you should be able to run at least a 10-12,000km OCI with a decent filter or yearly with regular driving habits (whatever comes first).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)