Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Pennzoil Platinum Full Synth - $31.19 minus $10 MIR

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 8:27 pm
Jan 1, 2008
449 posts
122 upvotes
Brossard
Thanks OP. Got the deal this morning (0w20 at the Greenfield Park location). They had the regular price posted on the shelf, but it scanned in at the right price at the cash.

Only a few bottles of 0w20 left, quite good quantities of the others.
Apr 26, 2010
148 posts
412 upvotes
BC
Strange that it only lets you submit 1 5L jug of platinum and/or 1 5L jug of platinum ultra at a time. I bought 5 jugs, 3 ultra and 2 platinum, and I had to submit the form 3 times with the same receipt. Hopefully they won't give me any grief over that.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6925 posts
2304 upvotes
Markham
Phoriver wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 10:37 pm
Picked up a couple jugs of 5w20 yesterday. Noticed the jug design is completely different. I feel like someone is going to put oil in their rad Crying Face.
Before the design change, the Pennzoil dino juice was in a yellow bottle too.

The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
[OP]
Oct 2, 2011
876 posts
233 upvotes
Edmonton
I normally do 8k change intervals on my LR2 with a Mann filter (~$14) which is apparently what the dealerships use. I decided to try the Fram Ultra Synth filter (which was also on sale for ~$21) from CT when I picked up the oil. It says up to 24,000km change interval on it.

Now Land Rover Canada says the OCI for the 3.2L LR2 is 8,000km. Land Rover USA says 7500 miles which is 12,000km. I can only assume the difference because of our harsher winters. I know oil lasts a really long time but its the filters that cause it to get contaminated quickly. Should I keep doing 8K intervals or get more mileage out of the oil if using a better filter? Price isn't an issue...especially when I can get this oil for $21~ after rebate haha, just curious.

Also at some point do I have to look at switching to a high mileage oil? I just hit 130k on the vehicle. Doesn't seem to burn any oil or leak.

Thanks for the input.
Dec 12, 2012
191 posts
154 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Dodge has an OCI of 16,000km or 1 year for their 2013+ Grand Caravan's using 5W-20. Though, I had to go down to 12-13,000km due to the fact the filter was delaminating from the glued filter peats, having a topside cartridge filter makes oil changes and inspection of the filter easy.

Oil does last a long time, though I wouldn't go to the extreme OCIs to what the guys on BITOG run. The oil might be fine, though, the detergents, additives, and harsh weather conditions in the majority of Canada will likely have an adverse effect on the longevity of the oil within your engine.

You only need high mileage oil, in my experience, when you car starts losing oil from older seals or when it burns oil. But, honestly at that stage you should probably start looking for a new engine or vehicle in the future.

I'm assuming the warranty on the car has long expired, so you should be able to run at least a 10-12,000km OCI with a decent filter or yearly with regular driving habits (whatever comes first).
Aug 13, 2003
79 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary
gw105 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 11:15 am
Strange that it only lets you submit 1 5L jug of platinum and/or 1 5L jug of platinum ultra at a time. I bought 5 jugs, 3 ultra and 2 platinum, and I had to submit the form 3 times with the same receipt. Hopefully they won't give me any grief over that.
I just submitted it once with the scan of the receipt showing 4X 5L jugs. I think I did that last year too. They can tell from the receipt how many jugs were bought.
Apr 4, 2017
191 posts
31 upvotes
Can't enter proper postal code. It keeps only bringing up to enter numbers only. Using mobile device.
Jun 5, 2016
306 posts
325 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 5:28 pm
Can't enter proper postal code. It keeps only bringing up to enter numbers only. Using mobile device.
It has to be capitals with a space in the middle X1X 1X1
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1019 posts
592 upvotes
I stock up on this oil all the time when its on sale.

There was a post here on rfd about someone buying this and found there was used oil in the jug.
Suspected someone bought the new oil, put it in their car and returned the old oil in the same jug for a refund then was put back on the shelf.

Point is, check the tamper ring on the cap to make sure its not broken. On the old jugs, you can't tell by looking at it, you have to open the cap slightly to find out if its broken or still good.
Have not checked the new jugs, but you still should check it carefully.
Mar 31, 2008
319 posts
139 upvotes
Airdrie
Has anyone ever seen this in 0w40 at canadian tire?

Or 5w40?

Or whatever pennzoils euro spec is?
Last edited by mcwilly on Jul 2nd, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 17, 2016
12 posts
10 upvotes
gw105 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 11:15 am
Yea i did the same thing - but hopefully they'll be able to tell via the receipt and ignore the redundant submissions....
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
2584 posts
974 upvotes
Toronto
The form isn't working. Everytime I click past the first screen where you enter your information and then click "next" is just takes me back to the same screen but everything is empty.
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1028 posts
121 upvotes
Milton
CoolDudeClan wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 11:57 am
The form isn't working. Everytime I click past the first screen where you enter your information and then click "next" is just takes me back to the same screen but everything is empty.
Check if you have any ad blockers, privacy protection, noscript etc add-ons running in your browser.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6925 posts
2304 upvotes
Markham
mcwilly wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:53 pm
Has anyone ever seen this in 0w40 at canadian tire?

Or 5w40?

Or whatever pennzoils euro spec is?
I've only seen Castrol Edge with those viscosities.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.