[Canadian Tire] Pennzoil Synthetic Engine Oil

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 9:35 pm
Aug 10, 2008
513 posts
138 upvotes
DealRacer wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:55 am
Partsource now 45% off. pm at CTC if you wish.
Yes, that was my plan to pm with Partsource and buy from Canadian tire. Thanks for the valuable tips.
May 16, 2017
38 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
What's the difference between buying from CT and partsource? Will pm bring down the price 10% like home center?
Aug 10, 2008
513 posts
138 upvotes
ironman21 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 11:20 am
What's the difference between buying from CT and partsource? Will pm bring down the price 10% like home center?
Yes they give 10% back in CTire money and for me personally, CT location is closer.
May 16, 2017
38 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
I tried PM at CT yesterday during waiting for my wife. The lady refused PM as the flyer of Partsource shows 0W-20, and she said it gotta be exactly the same to do PM.
Xstian wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 11:57 am
Yes they give 10% back in CTire money and for me personally, CT location is closer.
Mar 16, 2016
71 posts
48 upvotes
Please mind my ignorance, what's the difference between the platinum (synthetic) and the conventional? Will there be any value added if the platinum is used with a 10 year old car?
Mar 13, 2017
223 posts
154 upvotes
xtriawke wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:53 am
Please mind my ignorance, what's the difference between the platinum (synthetic) and the conventional? Will there be any value added if the platinum is used with a 10 year old car?
I have a 12 y/o car and recently did the switch from conventional to Synthetic.
No issues at all (I was initially worried about leaks if my seals were a bit shot).

I did frequent oil changes before the switch however, so the engine was well cared for.
Before the switch, I used one of those 'blends' for high mileage cars. Not sure if this was really necessary.

I'm currently on about 8000km on the first synthetic oil change. I didn't want to run it this long but the car appears to be running much smoother that it did if I used conventional.

I have consistently been checking for leaks and no issues so I'm not turning back. From what I've read, I believe the additives in synthetic to be good for longevity of the engine overall.

I intend to keep the same recommended OCI (6500km) as specified in the manual, which might be overkill for synthetic oil.
Jan 18, 2017
95 posts
19 upvotes
xtriawke wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:53 am
Ten years isn't even that old. Synthetic oil has it's benefits (more protection, better low temp performance, high heat performance), its more expensive but you can run longer oil change intervals (10-15k+). Just make sure your car doesn't burn/consume oil; you won't be able to take advantage of the long oci and might as well stick with conventional.
Jun 13, 2011
588 posts
189 upvotes
Jimmydeals wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:09 pm
No issues at all (I was initially worried about leaks if my seals were a bit shot).

I did frequent oil changes before the switch however, so the engine was well cared for.
Before the switch, I used one of those 'blends' for high mileage cars. Not sure if this was really necessary.

I'm currently on about 8000km on the first synthetic oil change. I didn't want to run it this long but the car appears to be running much smoother that it did if I used conventional.

I have consistently been checking for leaks and no issues so I'm not turning back. From what I've read, I believe the additives in synthetic to be good for longevity of the engine overall.

I intend to keep the same recommended OCI (6500km) as specified in the manual, which might be overkill for synthetic oil.
Definitely overkill, I would at least double that with a good filter. Fram XP, Napa Gold, CarQuest Blue, M1, Wix XP, etc.
Mar 13, 2017
223 posts
154 upvotes
Phoriver wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:34 pm
Definitely overkill, I would at least double that with a good filter. Fram XP, Napa Gold, CarQuest Blue, M1, Wix XP, etc.
Unfortunately, I just bought a whole bunch of regular Wix filters.
I might just extend the OIC to 9k or there abouts.
Jun 13, 2011
588 posts
189 upvotes
Jimmydeals wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:08 am
Unfortunately, I just bought a whole bunch of regular Wix filters.
I might just extend the OIC to 9k or there abouts.
Nothing to worry about, I'm pretty sure regular Wix = Napa gold, Carquest blue. It's a good filter that can easily do a long oci, much longer than 9k.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17555 posts
5649 upvotes
Ottawa
Jimmydeals wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:09 pm

Is your vehicle still under warranty?
If yes, I would stick to that OCI until the warranty period is over!
Oct 15, 2012
106 posts
25 upvotes
Sudbury
I submitted 1 receipt for 3 jugs back in November's special (28 bucks then per jug CTC); recently received $30.00 cheque rebate. What's funny is that when I went to their rebate site link, I saw an ad for $10.00/off per litre-- I advised them and said I'd take a truck load at that price; the "Team" was asked to respond to my comment and nothing happened for weeks and I kept going back having received no response-- finally, after a month or 2, they got back and said it was an error, thank you..lol And as for Fram filters, which I have bought throughout my life, I am now concerned after watching several comparisons of oil filters on YouTube... :(
Images
  • $10.00 off Rebate Shell.jpg