[Canadian Tire] Pennzoil Synthetic Engine Oil

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 9:35 pm
Jul 31, 2010
107 posts
108 upvotes
KevCnew wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:33 pm
Ten years isn't even that old. Synthetic oil has it's benefits (more protection, better low temp performance, high heat performance), its more expensive but you can run longer oil change intervals (10-15k+). Just make sure your car doesn't burn/consume oil; you won't be able to take advantage of the long oci and might as well stick with conventional.
Phoriver wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:34 pm
Definitely overkill, I would at least double that with a good filter. Fram XP, Napa Gold, CarQuest Blue, M1, Wix XP, etc.
Never blindly double your oil change interval because you are using synthetic. There are many factors in how quickly an engine can degrade motor oil. Things like small sump capacity or use of forced induction (especially turbocharged engines) can degrade motor oil much faster. If you plan on keeping your vehicle long term, do an oil analysis to properly determine how long you can run an oil before the additive pack of the oil deteriorates too far.
Jun 13, 2011
613 posts
206 upvotes
xbr50 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:01 pm
Never blindly double your oil change interval because you are using synthetic. There are many factors in how quickly an engine can degrade motor oil. Things like small sump capacity or use of forced induction (especially turbocharged engines) can degrade motor oil much faster. If you plan on keeping your vehicle long term, do an oil analysis to properly determine how long you can run an oil before the additive pack of the oil deteriorates too far.
We can safely assume he has a beige Corolla.
Jul 31, 2010
107 posts
108 upvotes
Phoriver wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:30 pm
We can safely assume he has a beige Corolla.
Well in that case he could probably quadruple his OCI. It's a Toyota after all.
Mar 13, 2017
235 posts
171 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:38 am
Is your vehicle still under warranty?
If yes, I would stick to that OCI until the warranty period is over!
No warranty - 200k+ kms on the car.

I'm going to take a closer look at my oil when I do the next change. I've had conventional oil turn to sludge in my car before at around 10k km. I screwed up and didn't change the oil for too long.
It's probably a good idea to stick close to the manufacturing OCI (definitely not going to go double)
Jan 4, 2010
237 posts
68 upvotes
Waterloo
So I'm gonna go on vacation for 5 weeks and the car is gonna be garage parked for that time period. I put in Pennzoil Platinum in November....it's now over 6,500km. Car is new and underwarranty. Should I change the oil before or after I get back?
Jun 18, 2005
144 posts
225 upvotes
No harm changing it before you go. If there's contaminants and crap in the oil it won't be sitting in your engine for 5 weeks. I think Ford even recommends an oil change if a vehicle will be parked for 3+ weeks.

You might also want to consider a quality battery tender/maintainer to keep it topped up while you're away. An idle battery will lose its charge.

CTEK chargers are used by all the stupidly expensive car makers and will not only maintain a healthy battery but can recondition and bring life back to a weakened or dying one.

I use an MUS 4.3 Polar which is good to -30C https://www.amazon.ca/CTEK-56-958-Autom ... 00GODCLYU/

Not cheap but I've had shit luck with the green Tender brand.
Last edited by dingus on Feb 14th, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1283 posts
717 upvotes
also top up the tank and add a fuel stabilizer!