Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake

Canadian Tire Return Policy Question

So I bought a ratchet set from CT today because it was on sale, anyways, I get home, remove the plastic wrap and proceed to gently remove the cardboard wrapping making sure I don't damage it... turns out the set is a POS and now I want to return it.

I read on the receipt that you can't return opened items, but this thing is really crap. What are my chances of being able to return this item?

The only that was 'removed' was the plastic wrap. The cardboard box it came in is still in perfect condition to resell.

Any suggestions as to what I should say? I've only heard horror stories about CT's return policy.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
Here's a crazy thought, why not tell them the truth

Also which set is it, and what makes it a POS? Lemme guess its a Mastercrap set?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
hitman_24 wrote: Here's a crazy thought, why not tell them the truth

Also which set is it, and what makes it a POS? Lemme guess its a Mastercrap set?
That's what I intend on doing, but was wondering if their known for not giving a crap. Unfortunately it is :( .
Banned
Mar 30, 2011
2339 posts
1044 upvotes
Return it and claim that it was a gift and that the person happened to already have the same set.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: So I bought a ratchet set from CT today because it was on sale, anyways, I get home, remove the plastic wrap and proceed to gently remove the cardboard wrapping making sure I don't damage it... turns out the set is a POS and now I want to return it.

I read on the receipt that you can't return opened items, but this thing is really crap. What are my chances of being able to return this item?

The only that was 'removed' was the plastic wrap. The cardboard box it came in is still in perfect condition to resell.

Any suggestions as to what I should say? I've only heard horror stories about CT's return policy.
I'm not quite sure why you think it's "crap" as a ratchet is a pretty simple item and should be fairly easy to pick out without having to hold it in your hand but your best bet is to return it to the Canadian Tire in a polite and honest manner. Don't go in there all upset because you can't pick out a product, instead go in there and be polite and honest about your reasons. If the clerk doesn't want to do your return just politely ask to speak to their supervisor and/or try another store.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Canadian Tire returns. They are always accommodating the few times I have gone in to return something. It's all about because a nice person because the person behind the counter has, at a minimum, the ability to make you stand there for 15 minutes while a manager is found to deal with you.
Jan 13, 2007
184 posts
76 upvotes
I agree..
99.99999% of the time, raging doesn't work.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
41 upvotes
Simple answer when it comes to Canadian Tire returns..

YMMV!!!!

It really depends on the store, the cashier, the manager, the wind direction, the weather etc. They really like to make up policies on the spot and consistency doesn't exist. Most frustrating returns experience of any chain store.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
I didn't mention raging anywhere in my post... Also, the ratchet set is crap because it's poor build quality. The sockets don't stay on the bloody ratchet it self, constant slips, etc... So no, it wasn't a poor decision on my part. You would think a $150+ set would be decent, hence why I got it on sale.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
I've found that return policies can vary greatly between CT stores. It all comes down to who is working that day.

All I can suggest is trying a different store if one store won't take the return. Eventually you will find one that takes the return.

Their website is pretty vague on the issue with opened items. Being a ratchet set, I don't think you'll have any problems.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/Navigati ... mLocale=en

[QUOTE]Returns Policy

Unopened items in original packaging returned with a receipt within 90 days of purchase will receive a refund to the original method of payment or will receive an exchange. Items that are opened, damaged and/or not in resalable condition may not be eligible for a refund or exchange.

Valid photo ID may be required to confirm this information.[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Managed to return it. I used the gift excuse.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: Managed to return it. I used the gift excuse.
I've returned a few opened items to CT before, always all Yardworks stuff. I just tell them the truth, say I wasn't happy with the quality (Yardworks is so garbage) and they always take it back. I do make an effort to try to return it to it's original packaging as much as possible at least.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Mar 13, 2013
3 posts
They will take it back or exchange it. I found out that when items are returned open they have to throw it out instead of putting back on the shelf... which has led to me buying a rotary tool for $10 from a co-worker whose wife works at a CT in Scarborough. Glad they returned it for you!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I keep all my receipts for stuff purchased at crappy tire. Stuff is poorly made and doesn't last. When it breaks I exchange it for a new one.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1921 posts
807 upvotes
Calgary
thatgirl420 wrote: They will take it back or exchange it. I found out that when items are returned open they have to throw it out instead of putting back on the shelf... which has led to me buying a rotary tool for $10 from a co-worker whose wife works at a CT in Scarborough. Glad they returned it for you!
I used to work at a CT store and that's exactly what happened, all returns would either be returned to vendor or "returned to adjusting". The latter was simply taking the return slip and filing it, while the product was to be compacted. There was a period of two years where management actually turned a blind eye to anyone taking stuff out of this section in the back provided they filed the slip in the right place. You would be amazed the amount of stuff that is returned that is perfectly fine. Now the store actually sorts through the stuff and resells it "as-is" for cost.

Edit: I realize that some of you may see this as "stealing", however floor managers are sifting through this stuff, while the store recoups cost from the parent company anyways through "adjustments". I see this as a win win situation, the store is not losing profit while you are saving product that is perfectly fine from entering the landfill.
May 22, 2013
214 posts
33 upvotes
Canadian Tire's return policy has only recently changed, has it not? For years I've read their policy as being that goods are accepted for full refund (within X number of days) provided they are accompanied by the receipt and are in new/resellable condition. It's only today for the first time, when I decided to recheck their policy online before going to the store to buy an electronics item, that I see the only way you're guaranteed a refund is if the item has never been opened.

The frustrating thing about that with CT is that more and more they don't even have display units of the things they're selling (or if they do, the display unit is an outdated version of that catalog number that no longer resembles what's now being sold.) Everything's in sealed boxes and their store Gestapo will pop up from nowhere and start screaming at you if you try to open the box in the store to take a look. All you're supposed to go on is whatever photos and description the manufacturer has chosen to show on the box. So how the hell are you even supposed to know whether the item will satisfy your needs or expectations?

I think Canadian Tire has just become my retailer of last resort. They have truly got "customer-unfriendly" down to a fine art!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)