ON
paaji wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 4:45 pm
I have these they are ok. Had slipped couples of times
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4487 posts
518 upvotes
I have used these to change oil on an acura rdx and hyundai accent.

The clearance on the RDX is much better. The accent has enough clearance to get the job done.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Mar 31, 2008
610 posts
338 upvotes
Airdrie
I've used the scepter ones with a Toyota echo, Subaru sti, Mazda cx3, dodge caravan, and subaru crosstrek multiple times without issue.

These are great products, very secure and easy to use.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17602 posts
2314 upvotes
Langley
I use these under my GMC diesel. The truck weighs 8000lbs, around 5000lbs on the front wheels and 3000 on the back wheels.
Jul 19, 2004
804 posts
150 upvotes
Vancouver
I used the other ramps that were on sale at Canadian Tire and they always seem to slip as I try to go up it. Do these do the same thing? Or is there something I'm supposed to do before I use them so it doesn't slip?
Mar 31, 2008
610 posts
338 upvotes
Airdrie
someone16 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 8:34 pm
I used the other ramps that were on sale at Canadian Tire and they always seem to slip as I try to go up it. Do these do the same thing? Or is there something I'm supposed to do before I use them so it doesn't slip?
Not sure what you are doing, but you want to park your car and put the ramps right up tight to your wheels before driving up them.

If you're taking a running start you might push them.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2818 posts
464 upvotes
Water loo
dilligafeh wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 4:56 pm
Truck.
And it never will if I keep using common sense.
I guess humanity can rest easy knowing you are safe and sound and their future is as well.
You have to be quite dumb to store these outside under the elements and expect them to not deteriorate.
I offered my personal experience for those who would care for it and are looking at purchasing such a product that's completely safe if used and stored as recommended.
I'd personally go for a titanium alloy, no way I'd put myself under a bunch of scrap steel.
Then again, maybe Adamantium would be even better, but I'm not sure how it stacks against Vibranium...anyone more experienced in the field care to weigh the pros and cons ?
Still sounds very dangerous, risking your life under some rusting chunk of metal trash. I pay a professional to use a professional grade lift as I watch from behind a glass wall (of course I'm at least 6 feet away from the glass).

I have an earlier version of this ramp that has re-enforcing plastic webbing underneath it and is not stack-able. This one appears to be, so they must have a much stronger frame then they used to make it.
edit: I think I have have the "Scepter Pro Ramp", but I paid $29 on sale 5 years ago .. prices have definitely jumped! My tires fit "on" the ramp, the rhinos seem to have the tire hang a bit over the ramp from the photos.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2004
1357 posts
96 upvotes
ss7 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 9:21 pm
I was considering these a while back, but then saw a bunch of bad reviews on Amazon mentioning failure..
Jesus - I was going to take a look at these in store but forget that now. I understand the vast majority of people have no issue but to roll the dice and risk being one of the people who has this happen to them... some of these just splintered and disintegrated with a vehicle up on them. One guy says he was pinned under the vehicle. Nope.

Direct link to Amazon.com page showing one-star picture/video reviews of failed product. Be sure to check out page 2: https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/ ... geNumber=1
Mar 31, 2008
610 posts
338 upvotes
Airdrie
Scary stuff there, I never actually looked at the new rhino ramps. Looks like that redesign created a bunch of failure points on it. Not sure who thought it would be a good idea to have all those deep crevices in it. I'll stick with scepter branded ones.
Oct 10, 2014
111 posts
94 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I have those, they are strong enough for my SUV
Mar 4, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
Good ramps. been using this for 5~6 years for oil change. With the decline on my driveway, theres a good amount of clearance on a miata and corolla. More than paid for itself by now.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15522 posts
5783 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 9:13 pm
They are very sturdy way stronger than jackstands.

Most cars nowadays are unibody frame which makes them riskier to use
LOL let's not get carried away. These plastic ramps are not going to be stronger than metal jackstands.

To be fair the ramps and jackstands also serve different purposes. Ramps are the easiest solution when working on your vehicle and you do not need a wheel off. Jack stands are necessary when needing a wheel off. I can see many people having both.
Mar 21, 2009
201 posts
132 upvotes
Hamilton
CoolDudeClan wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 11:28 pm
It's true though.. you could set a house on stacked wood, and people do. I use wood and think its 100% better.

Not saying there is anything wrong with these ramps but don't even pretend wood isn't safer.
Plus you can make the wood ramps very cheaply from some 2x10s and customise the height. I am a little surprised about the comments here from the truck owners. My 4x4 f150 is high enough I can change the oil sitting on the ground. I also added a Fumoto valve ,(ball valve instead if drain pan bolt) to make it easier.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3468 posts
858 upvotes
Ottawa
computer01 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 12:08 pm
Jesus - I was going to take a look at these in store but forget that now. I understand the vast majority of people have no issue but to roll the dice and risk being one of the people who has this happen to them... some of these just splintered and disintegrated with a vehicle up on them. One guy says he was pinned under the vehicle. Nope.

Direct link to Amazon.com page showing one-star picture/video reviews of failed product. Be sure to check out page 2: https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/ ... geNumber=1
It appears a lot of people are having user error with these. Driving over the back of them or having them collapse because they've been used on a gravel or dirt surface doesn't make it a bad product. There are, however, a few reviews that raise concern. I've got an older webbed version of these that I've been using for about 15 years and have never had any concerns with them but I just don't like the look of the current product.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2818 posts
464 upvotes
Water loo
dirtmover wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 2:43 pm
It appears a lot of people are having user error with these. Driving over the back of them or having them collapse because they've been used on a gravel or dirt surface doesn't make it a bad product. There are, however, a few reviews that raise concern. I've got an older webbed version of these that I've been using for about 15 years and have never had any concerns with them but I just don't like the look of the current product.
I also have a webbed version. I'm not sure I would trust these with just a pair of plastic side walls to hold the weight.