Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Rhino Ramps $65.99

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2019 1:34 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21264 posts
2088 upvotes
Used my rhino ramps today and tragically it failed. It looks like the cold plastic allowed the ramp to slip under the car, causing it to crack and dent the running board. Had used them without issue for a out 4 years previously with a bunch of cars- as light as a Versa to a CX5.

Will need returning to jack stands from now on.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6956 posts
3062 upvotes
ON
Kasakato wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 8:20 pm
Used my rhino ramps today and tragically it failed. It looks like the cold plastic allowed the ramp to slip under the car, causing it to crack and dent the running board. Had used them without issue for a out 4 years previously with a bunch of cars- as light as a Versa to a CX5.

Will need returning to jack stands from now on.
You mean you drove over one of the ramps (one wheel spinning) or both ? I can't picture how it would slip under the car after you've successfully stopped where you should (top of the ramp) because of cold plastic unless you were not on level ground and leaning forward in the ramps (could've pointed the other way and there would be no damage if it slipped).
Either way sounds like operator error to me. Not saying your comment meant the ramps failed but it could go either way.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21264 posts
2088 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 8:55 am
You mean you drove over one of the ramps (one wheel spinning) or both ? I can't picture how it would slip under the car after you've successfully stopped where you should (top of the ramp) because of cold plastic unless you were not on level ground and leaning forward in the ramps (could've pointed the other way and there would be no damage if it slipped).
Either way sounds like operator error to me. Not saying your comment meant the ramps failed but it could go either way.
Nope one ramp stayed on place and the other slipped on the floor, causing it to shoot under the car. The power from the car was used to move the ramp rather than move the car onto the ramp.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2756 posts
482 upvotes
Ajax
Kasakato wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 9:13 am
Nope one ramp stayed on place and the other slipped on the floor, causing it to shoot under the car. The power from the car was used to move the ramp rather than move the car onto the ramp.
It happens.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6956 posts
3062 upvotes
ON
Kasakato wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 9:13 am
That's what I figured.

It's to be expected with FWD cars. What I have found helps is placing a rubber mat under to help with lack of friction between floor and ramp( the Scepter brand ones have rubber pads underneath).
To be honest I've seen it happen in the summer as well, so it ain't cold plastic, it's just plastic.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2566 posts
894 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 9:46 am

It's to be expected with FWD cars. What I have found helps is placing a rubber mat under to help with lack of friction between floor and ramp( the Scepter brand ones have rubber pads underneath).
To be honest I've seen it happen in the summer as well, so it ain't cold plastic, it's just plastic.
Wouldn't ramp slippage be more likely on a RWD vehcile?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6956 posts
3062 upvotes
ON
SizzleChest wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 11:35 am
Wouldn't ramp slippage be more likely on a RWD vehcile?
Not the kind that Kasakato experienced.
That was as a direct result of one wheel spinning when the other didn't . When the front wheels are being pushed by the rear driven wheels, the only way it could slip is by pushing (not pulled by the wheels' rotational force) the ramp forward and no harm is done.

The way I do it it hasn't failed me yet. Instead of setting the ramps up and drive over them, I jam them as much as I can under the front tires , that way there's already quite a bit of grip from the tires and some weight holding them down to the asphalt.
Having huge tires also helps a lot since it will roll over the ramp much easier than small diameter tires that tend to push.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7016 posts
345 upvotes
York
Will always prefer my wood ramps I made. Put a rim under each side just behind the ramps and chalk the front and rear wheels. I even let it sit overnight like this just to be sure there’s no slippage
Images
  • 8D4E2976-285E-434A-A624-30DF87800200.jpeg
Aug 13, 2003
207 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary
dilligafeh wrote:
Placing the ramps on top of a rubber mat or something else that doesn't slip (I personally use a small carpet runner that has a rubber backing) works wonders. This same slippage where the ramp shot backwards happened to me once when I first got the ramps (I have Scepter ones also with the rubber pads underneath but that isn't enough) but with the ramps sitting on my carpet runner or mat, the problem is completely solved. Zero slippage and no more worries.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6956 posts
3062 upvotes
ON
dilligafeh wrote:
That's what I figured.

DentDude wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 1:08 pm
Placing the ramps on top of a rubber mat or something else that doesn't slip (I personally use a small carpet runner that has a rubber backing) works wonders. This same slippage where the ramp shot backwards happened to me once when I first got the ramps (I have Scepter ones also with the rubber pads underneath but that isn't enough) but with the ramps sitting on my carpet runner or mat, the problem is completely solved. Zero slippage and no more worries.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6956 posts
3062 upvotes
ON
dankup wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 12:49 pm
Will always prefer my wood ramps I made. Put a rim under each side just behind the ramps and chalk the front and rear wheels. I even let it sit overnight like this just to be sure there’s no slippage
Is this done for forensic investigative purposes ?
Aug 13, 2003
207 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary
dilligafeh wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 1:16 pm
Is this done for forensic investigative purposes ?
Funny guy. And of course I saw your rubber mat comment that you bolded. That is why I quoted just that section of yours. Just wanted to emphasize again in case others weren't reading that closely that the mat makes everything work with no slippage.
Aug 13, 2003
207 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary
Also, I think the Scepter brand ones that Canadian Tire used to sell seemed stronger. Since these Rhino ones can fit into each other they are hollow and look like they would be weaker because of that. The Scepter ones were not hollow and could not fit into each other. Hope Canadian Tire brings that other brand back eventually.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6956 posts
3062 upvotes
ON
DentDude wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 1:20 pm
Funny guy. And of course I saw your rubber mat comment that you bolded. That is why I quoted just that section of yours. Just wanted to emphasize again in case others weren't reading that closely that the mat makes everything work with no slippage.
I know. Just emphasizing the emphasis for those who can't read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too.
Apr 2, 2015
205 posts
181 upvotes
Siberia
Looking at the reviews on Amazon, I'd never trust my life to some plastic.