Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Schwinn 45 lumen bike light set in store clearance $15.93 Burnaby South

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2019 3:01 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7861 posts
2743 upvotes
Washington, DC
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 12:23 am
In your experience, how long does this thing actually last? Thought about getting one of these for a while but never pulled the trigger.
When the battery packs are new about 3-4 hours. You can order spare packs for $10 on ebay.

I'd recommend having a packup battery pack in your pack because you may run out mid trail.
Also keep a flashlight or your cellphone charged just in case.
P_20181207_180700_LL.jpg
Last edited by lincoln on Oct 21st, 2019 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Apr 8, 2017
768 posts
451 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
lincoln wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 1:55 am
When the battery packs are new about 3-4 hours. You can order spare packs for $10 on ebay.

I'd recommend having a packup battery pack in your pack because you may run out mid trail.

P_20181207_180700_LL.jpg
Ahh, ok, thought it might last a little longer. A little ways back I got on the Armtek Elf C2 deal on amazon for $50. I like it because you can easily use it as a headlight as well as a flashlight or mounted on a bike... And usb rechargeable so could just plug it into a power bank if needed. It lasts about the same amount of time at 1000 lumens, which is more than enough i'd say.
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7861 posts
2743 upvotes
Washington, DC
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 2:10 am
Ahh, ok, thought it might last a little longer. A little ways back I got on the Armtek Elf C2 deal on amazon for $50. I like it because you can easily use it as a headlight as well as a flashlight or mounted on a bike... And usb rechargeable so could just plug it into a power bank if needed.
These headlamps/bike lights are incredibly bright, so 3-4 hours on a lithium pack is average. I don't think you truly understand how much these light up the trail.

Imagine riding in daylight... in the middle of night.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7861 posts
2743 upvotes
Washington, DC
lincoln wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 1:54 am
If it was legally allowed I could ride a downhill trail at Blue Mountain with one on my helmet and one on my handlebars.
Abraham Lincoln
Apr 8, 2017
768 posts
451 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
lincoln wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 2:16 am
These headlamps/bike lights are incredibly bright, so 3-4 hours on a lithium pack is average. I don't think you truly understand how much these light up the trail.

Imagine riding in daylight... in the middle of night.
Well for $10 I might see how it compares to my 1000 lumen one... But your link says 8000 lumens... Would you say it's anywhere near that? The others I see that look exactly the same say 1800 lumens :P
Nov 20, 2017
338 posts
466 upvotes
lincoln wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 2:26 am
If it was legally allowed I could ride a downhill trail at Blue Mountain with one on my helmet and one on my handlebars.
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 2:38 am
Well for $10 I might see how it compares to my 1000 lumen one... But your link says 8000 lumens... Would you say it's anywhere near that? The others I see that look exactly the same say 1800 lumens :P
Am curious to see how this experiment goes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5430 posts
2255 upvotes
at around 45 Lums this is just to let others see there is someone there at night. You cannot use it for steering your bike.

If you have the time, you can order off aliexpress and get 100 Lum+ for a fraction of this price. The back lights for example are around $5 and around 150 Lumens with a lithium battery.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7861 posts
2743 upvotes
Washington, DC
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 2:38 am
It is insanely bright. Like I said, I use two of these lights for trail riding in the pitch dark.

You really only need one set, but having a second set on your helmet allows you to look around.
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7861 posts
2743 upvotes
Washington, DC
P_20170310_194045.jpg
P_20181207_180700_LL.jpg

That's an older picture without the Surly Lou 4.8" tires, but you can see how bright the lights are.
Abraham Lincoln
Apr 8, 2017
768 posts
451 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
lincoln wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 10:16 pm
It is insanely bright. Like I said, I use two of these lights for trail riding in the pitch dark.

You really only need one set, but having a second set on your helmet allows you to look around.
I've read some reviews on these today (under a different brand but they're all the same). The failure rate doesn't seem great, for the device and the battery packs, especially as far as durability and waterproofness go. Also, people gauge them around 1000 lumens, which is like mine anyway. It'd be at least $20 for the light with the battery pack anyway, which is a little pricey for cheap chinese bike lights. I'll probably wait out for further versions before I grab one. My Elf C2 is quite good as it is. 10 year warranty is nice, too!

No need to get so salty because I wont buy your cheap light. The reviews even show there is basically a thin layer of plastic with cardboard protecting the "waterproof" battery pack.
Last edited by OutsideYourWorld on Oct 27th, 2019 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2115 posts
608 upvotes
Ottawa
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2019 12:55 am
I've read some reviews on these today (under a different brand but they're all the same). The failure rate doesn't seem great, for the device and the battery packs, especially as far as durability and waterproofness go. Also, people gauge them around 1000 lumens, which is like mine anyway. It'd be at least $20 for the light with the battery pack anyway, which is a little pricey for cheap chinese bike lights. I'll probably wait out for further versions before I grab one. My Elf C2 is quite good as it is. 10 year warranty is nice, too!
I think if you already have an Armytek Elf then you are set for the flood aspect. Maybe get a more throwy light so you can see whats coming up?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7861 posts
2743 upvotes
Washington, DC
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2019 12:55 am
I couldn't care less what the reviews say as I've owned three sets for four years and for $20 each including the battery pack these are an insane deal for four years.

I give up, you should go buy retail lights for $200+ to warranty your 10 year confidence. Best of luck.

P.S. Lithium recharge cycles are around 500 and NI-MH are around 800. Batteries start deteriorating after 24 months. Offering a 10 year warranty is on the LED only, so you're a sucker for believing that. The retail shops are laughing at you.
Abraham Lincoln
Apr 8, 2017
768 posts
451 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
lincoln wrote:
Oct 27th, 2019 2:45 am
I couldn't care less what the reviews say as I've owned three sets for four years and for $20 each including the battery pack these are an insane deal for four years.

I give up, you should go buy retail lights for $200+ to warranty your 10 year confidence. Best of luck.

P.S. Lithium recharge cycles are around 500 and NI-MH are around 800. Batteries start deteriorating after 24 months. Offering a 10 year warranty is on the LED only, so you're a sucker for believing that. The retail shops are laughing at you.
I paid $50 for it. Not sure where you get $200 from. And it's sealed/watertight. Your light that somehow advertises 8000 lumens has a battery pack covered in a thin layer of plastic and cardboard that water definitely gets into.

No need to get so defensive about it. You get what you pay for. Enjoy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7861 posts
2743 upvotes
Washington, DC
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 27th, 2019 3:00 am
I paid $50 for it. Not sure where you get $200 from. And it's sealed/watertight. Your light that somehow advertises 8000 lumens has a battery pack covered in a thin layer of plastic and cardboard that water definitely gets into.

No need to get so defensive about it. You get what you pay for. Enjoy.
Battery pack is sealed and has been performing in rain, snow and sub -20C weather

As for lumens, one light is enough to see 100 feet down the trail. Two handlebar lights and a helmet light are equivalent to LED car lights.
Abraham Lincoln