• Jul 20th, 2010 3:47 pm
Tags:
None
15 replies
Sep 30, 2001
27704 posts
6793 upvotes
Toronto
This is excellent news. We must continue to keep up the pressure, though I really have to question CT on how genuine they're being. As part of the council for this band of hippies, surely they must have had a say in this tax and how it was going to be implemented. Blaming the government seems like an easy deflection imo.

edit: i think we should also applaud Wal-Mart for not gouging consumers. i would think with their clout in the marketplace they were able to influence CT's thinking.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1496 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
So do not all retailers charge this? I haven't read up enough on it yet. I know Futureshop and Coscto charge eco fees on certain products.

I got an eco fee on speakers of all things.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8800 posts
2200 upvotes
London
Yabbut the fee is still there, they're just "absorbing" it. It just a matter of time until it's passed along.. If CT and other retailers want to impress me, launch a legal challenge..
Jul 5, 2004
23790 posts
3315 upvotes
I can't wait for the next provincial election. I'm fairly confident the Liberals will be voted out this time. They are taxing us to death. There's soon going to be no such thing as a middle class in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1589 posts
199 upvotes
I voted PC, these liberals should not even run in the next election out of shame.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1347 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Actually if you read the press release from Canadian Tire it says they stopped charging the eco fee until the eco-gods can be persuaded to come back from vacation and provide a concrete schedule of fees.

"Mike Arnett, president of Canadian Tire Retail says Waste Diversion Ontario set up a very complicated structure for charging eco fees and left much of the interpretation up to the retailers.

Arnett acknowledged that Canadian Tire, which apologized last week for overcharging some of its customers, didn't do a good job of implementing the fees either, largely because of how complex they were.

"Although we quickly fixed any incorrect fees, we still have customers every day asking us why two nearly identical products have different fees," he wrote.

"We don't have good answers — because the program itself isn't built to be intuitive for either customers or retailers."

The store won't be charging any eco fees until "we can sort out a better system with Stewardship Ontario and the government of Ontario," he wrote.

Apparently the head of the Stewardship council took vacation as the plan was implemented - as you would expect from someone who's funded by taxpayers.

To fire them all would cost us millions in severances too.
I've been on RFDs for over a decade. My award-winning thread from 2006 is still going strong and one of the most popular on this site!
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2357 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 4:42 pm
I can't wait for the next provincial election. I'm fairly confident the Liberals will be voted out this time. They are taxing us to death. There's soon going to be no such thing as a middle class in Ontario.
It will be no different than last election. The LIEberals will latch on to a platform proposed by the PCs and demonize it. People will vote Liberal because they _think_ the alternative is worse.

Watch, during the next election campaign, the Liberals will probably claim that the PCs want to introduce Di-Hydrogen Monoxide into our atmosphere and only the Liberals can do something about it.

But to get back on topic, wasn't CT using this as a potential cash cow and just got caught? The eco fee is supposed to be a manufacturer's fee.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1332 upvotes
Brampton
That's great news but I just bought something yesterday & paid an extra .51 cents :mad:
It's going back to CT today & I'll just re-buy it again without the fee :rolleyes:
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Sep 27, 2006
3193 posts
444 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
MrDisco wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 4:46 pm
Electronics was phase 1. The uproar is the new phase 2 which impacts thousands of different products.

Walmart has not passed on this tax as of yet.
No, speakers weren't in the original eco fees. They were added later. July 1 was in reality probably about phase 4 in the eco fee hikes and editions. :(
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19025 posts
1480 upvotes
The whole thing from Canadian Tire sounds like it has nothing to do with consumers at all, just their cost to implement it, and they are spinning it.

[QUOTE]the company “can no longer support passing along a recycling fee to customers that has inconsistencies between products and is difficult to explain.”

For example, different bottles of bleach can have different eco fees depending on their ingredients and Ph level.[/QUOTE]

Well, of course it would. More dangerous bleach, higher fee. How is that confusing? Sure it will be a PITA for the store to implement though...

[QUOTE]
“Because these eco fees are based on ‘materials’ instead of ‘products,’ it means that two similar brands of cleaning products could have two different eco fees depending on slight variations in their ingredients.”[/QUOTE]

So? That's the whole point of the fee - to encourage people to buy less toxic crap. Two bottles of cleaners will have different fees because one doesn't have the toxic ingredients.

If the fee was printed on store shelves in front of the bad products, no one would be confused in the least, and the fee would do exactly what it is supposed to - encourage awareness of the crap going into our lakes and streams.

The government is going about this the wrong way though. The tax should be applied to the product before it even hits the store shelf, at the supplier level. This way the prices go up in a way that is hidden to consumers, so no confusion, yet the same discouragement of buying this stuff is accomplished.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8141 posts
1092 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Jul 20th, 2010 6:39 am
The whole thing from Canadian Tire sounds like it has nothing to do with consumers at all, just their cost to implement it, and they are spinning it.

Well, of course it would. More dangerous bleach, higher fee. How is that confusing? Sure it will be a PITA for the store to implement though...

So? That's the whole point of the fee - to encourage people to buy less toxic crap. Two bottles of cleaners will have different fees because one doesn't have the toxic ingredients.

If the fee was printed on store shelves in front of the bad products, no one would be confused in the least, and the fee would do exactly what it is supposed to - encourage awareness of the crap going into our lakes and streams.

The government is going about this the wrong way though. The tax should be applied to the product before it even hits the store shelf, at the supplier level. This way the prices go up in a way that is hidden to consumers, so no confusion, yet the same discouragement of buying this stuff is accomplished.
Some very good points and I believe the CT one is correct, they only killed it because they couldn't implement it properly. Why would they care if you had to take one up the bum since the other retailers would be doing this to you as well?

What I don't agree is to have this eco-fee/tax at all hidden or displayed otherwise. It's no secret that the stewardship agency is run by lieberal-friendly people and that money will probably all go toward paying salaries, benefits and pensions before it will ever go to the environment. However, the eco-fee is not dead merely postponed as it is being "retooled." If the lieberals get back in the next provincial election, we will be seeing this fee again.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3261 posts
461 upvotes
Hamilton
Shaner wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 4:42 pm
GEZZ I hope your right. I hope everyone remembers this crap. I always vote, but this time around I am going to actually encourage and make sure others vote (regardless of their opinion)