• Jun 25th, 2014 6:59 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 2, 2005
609 posts
25 upvotes

Canadian tire screwed me again on Emission Test

i drive a sentra 2001 model, failed first emission test at meadowvale Canadian-tire. Did a tune up, took the car to Heartland Canadian-tire, failed again!

here is what really grinds my gears:
Tune up cost 300$,
Heartland CT charge me 35$ again for the test(they told me 2nd times is half price).
Heartland CT suggested to do a "Computer" analysis for $150. Just the analysis without fixing.

oh boy. can someone who knows about car tell me what can i do to lower my cost?
note:
1st. Test: Failed curb idle: my Co%=7; limit= 0.7
Tune UP: air filter, spark plug, wires.(not sure what else)
2nd Test: Failed curb idle: my Co%=4.17; limit= 0.7
30 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jiepie wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2008 3:08 pm
i drive a sentra 2001 model, failed first emission test at meadowvale Canadian-tire. Did a tune up, took the car to Heartland Canadian-tire, failed again!

note: failed curb idle: my Co%=4.17; limit= 0.7
Did they not provide you with a chart that indicates what is not working correctly to cause the high CO reading?

I had one from a few years ago, but can't seem to locate it at the moment.

Just to add, CT is the last place I would go for an emissions test. I have used the test centre at Meadowvale, where all they do is emission testing and no repairs. Seems less biased to requiring un needed repairs.
Jun 28, 2006
15 posts
Agreed. I've always taken my vehicles to a dedicated emission testing centre in the town where I live. Several dealers and mechanics recommended going there versus other operations that also do repairs. I'm not saying most places are trying to rip your off, but why take a chance.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1225 posts
338 upvotes
I recall having read a few years back that there can be a great deal of variability in a car's performance on these omissions tests. If your car is properly warmed up, apparently it tends to pass the test more frequently than when it's been sitting in the CTC parking lot for a couple of hours. The last time that I had an older car tested, I took it out for a 20 km run at 80 km/h to get it warmed up, and then had it tested straight away. It passed, no problem.

YMMV
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2001
1125 posts
18 upvotes
Also if you put in premium gas it burn's cleaner, but doing a test on a hot engine is much better.

And also don't use Canadian Tire for anything including oil changes.
Mar 10, 2008
25 posts
Hamilton ON
jiepie wrote:

here is what really grinds my gear:
Tune up cost 300$,
Heartland CT charge me 35$ again for the test.
Heartland CT suggested to do a "Computer" analysis for $150. Just the analysis without fixing.

Wow thats high. My 97 Dodge ram 1500 pickup 5.9l v8 engine only had .03 Co% curb idle. It could be a bad Cat maybe O2 sensor. I did use seafoam a week before the test. My HC ppm was 7 limit 200at idle.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
jiepie wrote:

Tune up cost 300$,

Firstly, what was the readings on your first fail? A tune up may not be what was needed. New plugs is and a few filters is not necessarily a fix to bad emissions.
Secondly, who did the tune up and did you tell them why it was needed?
Thirdly, your tune up did not help the emission readings so that was not the problem. Maybe a computer scan was in order right away?

High CO= Rich condition, CO is partially burned fuel
Causes
-High fuel pressure
-Leaky injectors
-faulty temp sensor
-thermostat stuck open
-clogged air filter
-sticking choke
-high float level
-leaking accelerator pump or power valve
-charcoal canister full, fuel to topped off, faulty purge solenoid
-Fuel in the crankcase

low CO/high O2 =Lean condition
-to little fuel
-to much air
-low fuel pressure
-plugged fuel filter
-bad fuel pump
-plugged injectors
-vacuum leaks
-low float level;
-plugged or wrong jets

The whole story may back up your title claim but all I read is a guy who has a problem with his car and is trying to blame someone for it.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
jiepie wrote:

Tune up cost 300$,

note:
1st. Test: Failed curb idle: my Co%=7; limit= 0.7
Tune UP: air filter, spark plug, wires.(not sure what else)
2nd Test: Failed curb idle: my Co%=4.17; limit= 0.7
If they screwed you before, why did you go back to be screwed again? :confused:
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1060 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
I would not take a donkey to Crappytire..lol...my friend last year got a oil change there and oh they forgot to put oil back in it.. :mad: Like most have said take it to the testing centre that does no repairs..And if your unhappy with canadian tire .call and complain it might help.. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2006
3455 posts
877 upvotes
Toronto
Being a member since 2005 I thought you'd know better than taking your car to CT :evil:

1. seafoam your engine
2. change oil/air filter
3. premium gas
4. bring it to dedicated test centre
5. cross fingers
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11198 posts
1421 upvotes
jiepie wrote:
i drive a sentra 2001 model, failed first emission test at meadowvale Canadian-tire. Did a tune up, took the car to Heartland Canadian-tire, failed again!..
In Mississauga, take your car here:
http://www.aquitaineautocentre.aaro.ca/index.php?p=home

He (Jim) told me any reasonably working car will pass Drive Clean by a wide margin. If a car is borderline, usually there's something really wrong that needs to be fixed anyway.
Jan 5, 2004
581 posts
15 upvotes
Laval
How did they screw you? You car is not up to standards, and is emitting more pollution than allowed
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15146 posts
1581 upvotes
voodoo401 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2008 4:39 pm
Also if you put in premium gas it burn's cleaner, but doing a test on a hot engine is much better.
Premium gas burns quicker... not cleaner? And if the car computer isn't tuned for the gas; might end up with worse results?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2103 posts
32 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2008 11:54 am
In Mississauga, take you car here:
http://www.aquitaineautocentre.aaro.ca/index.php?p=home

He told me any reasonably working car will pass Drive Clean by a wide margin. If a car is borderline, usually there's something really wrong that needs to be fixed anyway.
Agreed. Jim is a good guy.

This isn't the cheapest shop around, but they do good work.
× < >