Shopping Discussion

Canadian tire & Simoniz, what a load of #@#$

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2013 8:03 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 17, 2008
14 posts
I bought a 1700 model for my mother and it turned out into another piece of crap. Followed the instructions, primed the machine with water before turning it on, vollia, it siezed up solid within the first 5 seconds. Happy to report - took it back to CT for a full money refund and invested in a quality Karcher.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2893 posts
53 upvotes
gd to know for future reference.

Always knew these pressure washers by simoniz may not be up to par in terms of performance...
May 6, 2008
22 posts
A quick note to add to this thread. A couple months ago I was in the market for a pressure washer and saw this discussion, decided to stay FAR away from Canadian Tire.

Ended up getting a Karcher 5.85m from Costco for $200. I just bought a new house this summer, and of course I wanted to clean EVERYTHING (was cleaning the sidewalk out front this weekend and the wife started looking at me a little funny).
Anyway, after over a month of fairly heavy use, I've had absolutely zero problems with the unit. The price was decent, the unit works well, and I know that Costco stands behind the products it sells with a really good warrantee.

I do often shop at Cdn Tire, but I would HIGHLY recommend skipping them for the pressure washer, and going to Costco.

My only other word of advise, if you think you'll be using the washer more than 1-2 times per year, get a gas-powered one. You can get a decent one (at Costco again, of course), for around $350. The extra money it absolutely worth it when you are using it heavily or for tough jobs like driveways and decks.
Jul 7, 2007
516 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Called Simoniz and they told me to go to FIX IT AGAIN SAM, 416 425 7272, 911 Millwood Dr, brought it there and they performed the warranty work.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
ernwes wrote: > :( My simonz s1500 pressure washer hasn't shut down in mid use. It just won't start until I give it a good swift kick just above the off/on switch. This is a pain in the ass, as well as the toe. I guess I'm just gonna continue to use it this way, until I get fed up or break a toe. Then I'll take it apart to see if I can fix it , or I may just trash it and go and buy another brand.
When I bought my Simoniz POS the owner's manual specifically mentioned that occasionally the pump required a boost to start. They suggested a very large allen key to spin the pump. If I didn't do that all I got was a loud buzzing noise (sound of a siezed motor) and then the breaker would trip. So what you are describing may be normal for the POS.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1433 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
I must be lucky. I have a 1600psi simoniz pressure washer and i use it about 1 - 2 times a month and it's still works after 3 years.

The unit was not perfect though. The thing came with a cheap crappy hose + wand. The hose developed multiple leaks after less than a year of usage. The gun cracked shortly after (probably my fault since i dropped it though). I ended up replacing the gun + hose with the $35 Simoniz wand+hose combo from crappy tire. The new one was much better quality and has been working great for a couple years now. It just needs to be treated gently. Avoid dropping the wand and never pull on a tangled hose because it will kink+break.

Anyways, other than the crappy attachments and accessories, the simoniz pressure washer was not bad for $125. I'd buy it again but only if it was $100ish.

BTW, just to comment on crappy tire. I think the company is full of crap. For example, early this year Crappy Tire had to recall a ton(approx 40,000 units) of battery boosters w/ counterfeit CSA marks. By law crappy tire was not allowed to sell any of them because they weren't certified to applicable safety standards. Some of the boxes had the CSA mark crossed off w/ a sharpie so it was very obvious someone somewhere knew what was going on. In crappy tire's recall notice they pretended the recall was voluntary and also claimed it was due to a "defect" not because the product wasn't certified + beared a counterfeit CSA mark. There was a design flaw due to someone sneaking the product onto the shelf w/out proper safety certication but there was never a "defect". That's a shady PR move, don't you think? IMO, they weren't as innocent as they claim to be. See the links below for more information.

http://www.csa-international.org/regula ... cleID=9258
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c3291.html
Jun 11, 2006
72 posts
1 upvote
We sent ours to be repaired (somewhere in the States)

We have called them multiple times, but no answer and tried to use their online help, but never got a response.

This company is as useless as their products!
Nov 25, 2007
214 posts
24 upvotes
Scranton, PA
Received a Simoniz 1400 as an xmas gift from my parents 4 yrs ago. I remember the CT sale when this was advertised...something like 125 bucks so back then this was a steal!

After first year the nozzle where the hose and trigger attach cracked and leaked...Don't have the receipt so Called Simoniz...no help, nothing. So I picked up a replacement nozzle/hose for 35 bucks at CT. Second year, first car wash of the year, the connection between the wand and nozzle leaked. Keep in mind that I have "gently" used this thing over a dozen times...at best. So, now I'm pissed..bought yet another nozzle/hose at CT, packaged up the leaky one and returned it to CT (ya ya...not the right thing todo but hey, Simoniz wasn't going to help).

Third year, leaked a bit at the nozzle....held on for the year...maybe half a dozen uses

Forth year..now the compressor keeps turning on and off while turned on. Most likely a seal went on it. Pressure is down a bit too. I don't use it much anymore because the sound is so bloody annoying.

Glad I got it for free...Simoniz is JUNK!!!!

Unless you get it for free, stay away.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Haven't read the whole thread, but how are you folks storing your pressure washers in the winter? In a un-heated garage? If so, some of the residual water may still be inside, freezing internally and ruining all sorts of seals and rings as a result.

Just something to keep in mind.
Deal with it.
Jun 19, 2008
2 posts
OK I need a spray handle for my Simoniz machine. I look on their website and it does not have that model number. I phone their service and the guy says that my machine is a S1400 & he has to transfer me to another department. I wait & get that department and the lady asks for my serial number and then tells me it is wrong???? I explain to her it is not wrong as I am starring at it. She then explains it must be made by Karcher and even thou my machine has Simoniz all over it and on the serial number plate and on the manual Simoniz knows nothing about it. Tells me to phone Karcher at 1800 465-4980, which I do. All I get is a recording now to phone RJ at 1800 383 6584.

It is like you make it impossible to get service and parts for this thing. Why do you not have all this information in the manual so I have to waste all this time trying to figure out that even thou it says Simoniz on it is made by Karcher & when I am told to phone Karcher they recording says they don
Nov 9, 2008
128 posts
18 upvotes
I was going to buy my dad one of these last time it went on sale. Check out CTC's website. They have customer reviews for their products. I was GOING to buy him one but I read the reviews and they were all negative.

I know this doesn't help you out now, but for your next CTC purchase keep this in mind; it saved me!

Good luck and thanks for the warning!

Cheers.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1433 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
[quote="liquorgood" post_id="8478107" time="1237908833" user_id="166502"]OK I need a spray handle for my Simoniz machine. I look on their website and it does not have that model number. I phone their service and the guy says that my machine is a S1400 & he has to transfer me to another department. I wait & get that department and the lady asks for my serial number and then tells me it is wrong???? I explain to her it is not wrong as I am starring at it. She then explains it must be made by Karcher and even thou my machine has Simoniz all over it and on the serial number plate and on the manual Simoniz knows nothing about it. Tells me to phone Karcher at 1800 465-4980, which I do. All I get is a recording now to phone RJ at 1800 383 6584.

It is like you make it impossible to get service and parts for this thing. Why do you not have all this information in the manual so I have to waste all this time trying to figure out that even thou it says Simoniz on it is made by Karcher & when I am told to phone Karcher they recording says they don
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1135 upvotes
Montreal
I bought one of them 2 years ago when it was 50% off. Within the first month, the spray gun was crach and leaking water. I went back to CT, they told me I have to call Simoniz for warrantly. I called them and they send me a replacement right the way within 2 weeks. I guess I am just lucky. My husband stored it in the basement during winter. It is still working well - I only use it 2 -3 times a year.
Jul 20, 2010
3 posts
richmond hill
Crappy Tire blames Simoniz because they own it, and this makes them look like the good guys - this was confirmed by Simoniz USA customer service in an email to me.
Simoniz USA should sue CT for spoiling their name.
Jul 20, 2010
3 posts
richmond hill
When you try return even a new pressure washer CT says there is water in the system and it has been used. Simoniz confirmed that even new washers have a little water left in them because of testing. They sell used merchandise knowing that they will not take it back.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
fredk wrote: When you try return even a new pressure washer CT says there is water in the system and it has been used. Simoniz confirmed that even new washers have a little water left in them because of testing. They sell used merchandise knowing that they will not take it back.
This doesn't even make logical sense; CT won't take _any_ pressure washers back, so how can they sell you a used one?
Jul 4, 2013
1 posts
I also have what my friends and I call a "Canadian Tire Moment" . For whatever reason the natural laws of reason stop at the doors into Canadian Tire. I bought one of the high end Simoniz electric power washer. I think it was a 2900 model. It cost around $300.00. They come with a two year warranty. I used it for 3/4's of a summer and fall, then put the stuff they recommend for winter storage. The next spring I brought it out of storage flushed the thing out and started to use it. Right off the bat it started to trip the circuit breaker in the house panel. It was on a 15 amp breaker, I had put in just for the outside connections. There are three in total, and the one I use for the power washer is the first in line, and only 10 meters from the box in the house. It would run 5 mins then trip the breaker. I tried other wall sockets same deal 5 - 10 mins it would trip. The weird thing is I used it quite a bit the summer/fall before with no issue. I took it back to crappy tire and they told me to take it to a local Simoniz authorised repair shop. This was around mid June. I left it there and was told that when is was fixed they would call. July.......August.......September.....I called mid September and was told they were waiting on a part, and would call when it was done. October........November......I head south for winter I called and got an answering machine I left a message stating I was in FLA for the winter and would check back when I got back. end of March....unsure of status will call when they find it?.......April ...I phoned again and was told it gone. I drive over to their shop and ask in person where it went, well said the idiot at the counter it's out on rental. I guess they thought I wouldn't mind seeing as I was in FLA. I asked how much I was getting for rental of my washer maybe a bit louder than I should have, but it brought out the owner. I always say why talk to the monkey when the organ grinder is ten feet away. He tells me my washer was deemed un repairable and they now own it. I was (according to him) told this last fall and was sent a voucher for a replacement. A bit of back and forth and he finds the voucher that was mailed to me in his office. Needless to say I was not very impressed. I asked him who would rent a power washer that was un repairable? I was asked to take my voucher and leave. I did. The thing about Simoniz is they change the units every year so I basically got a newer style washer which by the way has worked great now for 4 years. I did however relay this information to the owner of the crappy tire I bought it from, as well as Simoniz. The shop is still there, but they no longer deal with Simoniz.. What a dicaround for a stupid power washer...lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
After a couple of unpleasant customer experiences at CT including a Simoniz pressure washer that died (where CT told me to take a hike) I stopped shopping at CT.
There are plenty of other retailers.
The CT flyer gets thrown in my recycling bin (unread) every week.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
glad I bought my karcher back in 1990 from CT, back then it was like 500 dollars and to this day it still runs great.
not the BS 2000 psi marketing hype in todays pressure washer but a true 1000psi.
no complaints except for the noise.
Selling a new never installed or used Edelbrock turbo kit #1500, but lowballers and buyers offering ridiculous 500 bucks for it.http://forums.redflagdeals.com/new-edel ... s-1151134/So now it is installed and in my civic :)