Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Sodastream CO2 Refill $19.99 (w/ exchange) & Earn $7.20 Cdn Tire Money

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2018 2:25 pm
Jan 31, 2010
343 posts
103 upvotes
St. John's
john2922222 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 9:42 pm
You're not concerned about getting it from a paintball place? I wouldn't want to ingest any possible contaminants as it's not designed for human consumption.
Not really, no. Besides, this particular place advertises that they re-fill sodastream and other co2 tanks such as those used for dispensing beer.
Feb 22, 2009
126 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
OrangeBerry wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 9:37 pm
I was refilling all the time when I first bought my SodaStream but then I came across this co2 adapter that connects to a co2 tank (5lb or 10lb) straight to the nozzle of the sodastream and I can go 6 months without having to refill the tank. This is using the machine to produce 6L of fizzy per day.

You can purchase the co2 adapter from eBay or Amazon ($60-$80)
Purchase the co2 tank from a homebrew supply store or do what I did and visited Herbert Williams and bought a 10lb for $140 filled or 5lb for $90 filled.
Refilling the tank costs between $35-$45

hope you told your insurance company.... or dont live in a condo, i checked with mine, they flat out said bad idea and no coverage if it explodes

Upfront costs might seem relatively high but long term this setup yields longer amounts of soda water.
Feb 22, 2009
126 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
you dont need something to be flammable to explode. thats why house hold fire extinguishers are smaller.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2004 posts
438 upvotes
Do you guys really change the plastic bottle on the expiry date printed on it? Is it dangerous to keep using it after the expiry. Let's say you buy a 3 pack of bottles expiring in June 2021. If you use the first bottle until that expiry date that would be 4 years. Does that mean you can use the 2nd bottle 2021-2025 and the last one 2025-2029? I'm assuming you only use one bottle at a time and keep the unused ones in a closet safe from direct sunlight. Where's the best deal for those bottles? Everywhere i check seems to be $19.99 for 3.
HSBC World Elite Mastercard
3% travel/1.5% everything else, Mastercard acceptance
31 day medical insurance, trip cxl, trip interrupt
Discuss here
Oct 11, 2004
616 posts
73 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
minimalist wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 12:09 am
Do you guys really change the plastic bottle on the expiry date printed on it? Is it dangerous to keep using it after the expiry. Let's say you buy a 3 pack of bottles expiring in June 2021. If you use the first bottle until that expiry date that would be 4 years. Does that mean you can use the 2nd bottle 2021-2025 and the last one 2025-2029? I'm assuming you only use one bottle at a time and keep the unused ones in a closet safe from direct sunlight. Where's the best deal for those bottles? Everywhere i check seems to be $19.99 for 3.
My bottles expired in 2011 and I still use them.
Whatever you do, don't wash them in the dishwasher. They will explode along with the sodastream, and almost take an eye out. Don't ask how I know that.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
2273 posts
3175 upvotes
Laval
minimalist wrote:
there on sale at Amazon for $ 13.99

SodaStream 1-Litre Source Carbonating Bottles, 3-Pack, Black

https://www.amazon.ca/SodaStream-1-Litr ... B00KZM7XHQ
Jul 1, 2017
137 posts
37 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
LOL I didn't even know there was an expiry date on those bottles? that's hilarious. What a cash grab.
The pressure exerted on that bottle is so minimal you can barely make a case for slapping an expiry on it. Even if the structural integrity of it is compromised, what will happen? just a little explosion of water? plastic shards?

I've also been using my one forever and its in mint condition.
Mar 11, 2012
110 posts
12 upvotes
I am buying these 12 pack of no sugar carbonated water with some taste (like lemon, berry, etc). Would this be a smart buy? Are they in any way shape or form similar in taste/fuzziness?
Dec 1, 2006
549 posts
24 upvotes
Do you guys think it's safe to pour boiling water in the plastic bottle? I want to boil tap water with a kettle to get the tap water smell, I want to pour it in the plastic bottle, and let it rest in the fridge, but I wasn't sure if it's safe enough.
Jul 28, 2011
215 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
This is the place where I go for refills. https://www.sodamistic.com/. I think it's only around $10. It's convenient for those who don't want to pay too much for genuine Sodastream refills, or don't have room for a larger canister + adapters. Only downside is that they work 9-5 so it's hard to find time to get there if you have a full time job. I have two small canisters so I don't have to go there that often.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4169 posts
717 upvotes
Kingston
Lyper wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 3:35 pm
I am buying these 12 pack of no sugar carbonated water with some taste (like lemon, berry, etc). Would this be a smart buy? Are they in any way shape or form similar in taste/fuzziness?
I don't have a sodastream, but I have something similar just different brand. These carbonaters work great for that. You can put any flavor in that you want and you can put a little fizz or alot depending on how you like it.

There are lots of ways to do it too. You can put fresh fruit in, or those flavor crystal packages, or juice from a jug, or the frozen juice concentrate.
You can definitely use this for more then just soda syrup. You can carbonate any drink you want. I've seen people carbonate milk just to see what it's like.
Now, not everything carbonated will taste good lol

Keep in mind with these things they recommend only carbonating water. They say this because the nozzle that shoots out the co2 will get dirty and may get clogged depending on what's in the drink. Make sure to clean it very good. Also carbonate it slow and release the pressure SLOW. Or else you may have a big mess to clean up!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4169 posts
717 upvotes
Kingston
john2922222 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 9:42 pm
You're not concerned about getting it from a paintball place? I wouldn't want to ingest any possible contaminants as it's not designed for human consumption.
Viperoni wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 9:44 pm
Is there such a thing as "Food Grade" co2?
badOne wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 9:50 pm
There is such a thing as cross-contamination if you fill up a canister for paint ball, then use the same machine for your soda stream co2 canister.
I bought a Primo flavor station because it doesn't need special adapters or canisters. I didnt want to be stuck buying expensive sodastream refills.

I tried looking for food grade co2 and couldn't find it anywhere. :( I was actually looking for alot bigger tank too. I asked around and people said it didn't matter. I ended up getting my canister refilled at Bronson & Bronson for like $10 I think. It tastes just fine to me.

This is what I've read about the different co2:

Medical grade co2 has 99.99% purity rating. Both beverage and food grade co2 both have a 99.95% purity rating. Industrial co2 has a 99.90% purity Rating. All co2 is made the same. Its all about how the co2 is stored and handled, and the FDA has put compliance laws on food grade co2, making distributers store the gas in specific tanks just for food grade.
Nov 3, 2016
128 posts
99 upvotes
Klikerko wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 5:30 pm
This is the place where I go for refills. https://www.sodamistic.com/. I think it's only around $10.
Thanks! They're pretty close to me and that's a good price, I'll check them out this week.