"Canadian Tire takes it offline" !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2009 10:43 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]Using old computers does not make their inventory system obsolete. [/QUOTE]

AS400 systems are still capable of doing what Canadian tire needs, it's perfect actually.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42654 posts
3228 upvotes
Richmond Hill
euphoria18_79 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2009 1:53 pm
I am disappointed in the fact that they will no longer be doing online sales. Many times i did purchase online, for a few reasons. The closest CT is an hour drive. Thats not bad, if they have the product in stock. Many times, i would order a sale item online, because there is no stock, and i would rather not deal with the hassel of a rain check.
But, either way, i still love walking thru their store, buying things i truely do not need...lol.
The article states they are looking for "in store pickup" options instead. I think this is the way to go - they tackled the right idea here. Most of the stuff at CT are too big and shipping costs too much.

There's a reason why online purchasing hasn't expanded yet like we want it to, and that's because shipping is only worthwhile for items that are physically small but large in value, ie. electronics.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
2895 posts
58 upvotes
Home
HBP wrote:
Jan 20th, 2009 2:59 pm
Crap.

Crap.

I live 5 mins away from a CT and this is still annoying.
How is this annoying if you live closer to CT? :confused:
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it was, and always will be yours. If it never returns, it was never yours to begin with :|
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24949 posts
5223 upvotes
googoo wrote:
Jan 20th, 2009 6:47 pm
AS400 systems are still capable of doing what Canadian tire needs, it's perfect actually.
But is it capable of this?:
Gibson said the company is testing the possibility of someday allowing customers to place orders online, and pick up the items at the nearest store.
I've never actually ordered anything online from CT, so I'm definitely not going to miss their online sales provided they keep product/pricing/stock info online.

I would love in-store pickup on web orders though (at any store)--much preferrable to waiting around for your order to be processed and shipped.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
1822 posts
508 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 21st, 2009 9:00 am
I've never actually ordered anything online from CT, so I'm definitely not going to miss their online sales provided they keep product/pricing/stock info online.

I would love in-store pickup on web orders though (at any store)--much preferrable to waiting around for your order to be processed and shipped.
+1

I don't live very close to any CT store but I often go by one when I'm going somewhere so ISPU would work for me.
Nov 19, 2004
556 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
First off, my apologies for starting a new thread about the shuttering of the CT online store.

Now, on to the subject at hand. I think this is a big mistake, strategically, on the part of CT. If anything, they should adapt their online shipping policies to reflect the realities of shipping to consumers... there are at least 10 North American vendors that sell "heavy" items (such as tires) to consumers and thrive online. They capitalise on the benefits of online retailling (crowdsourcing, reviews, viral recommendations) to the point that the end user is willing to pay for shipping costs. In fact, at some point, CT may consider consolidating some of those 473 odd stores they mention in the press release to focus on delivery to everyone... at everyone's convenience, not stores that close at 9pm.

If I need to order my winter tires at 1:30am, I will not go to CT bricks and mortar - I will go to [insert online tire store] here and have them shipped if the cost premium doesn't exceed the convenience.

All IMHO, of course...
Feb 17, 2004
248 posts
54 upvotes
GreyingJay wrote:
Jan 20th, 2009 4:28 pm
I
Or, it could very well be that they have one or two boxes sitting on a shelf back there in the warehouse. Good luck to the poor guy trying to find it. You ever seen what it looks like back there? I have, it's worse than your father's basement. They'll take a token look and then say "sorry, I couldn't find it." Which, frankly, is the truth, unless you expect them to disappear for 20 minutes while they rummage everywhere (and then you'd complain about how long it took! :) )
Why do they even have a "back there"? Everything I ever want from that place is either sold out or "back there". If you're not going to have a Costco style store where you just put everything out in the open, let me rumage around in the back for a change - I'm sure I'll be able to find it -
Jan 26, 2009
483 posts
44 upvotes
North York
I work for an online affiliate marketer and I can tell you that CT has removed all commissions for everything except GC's because of this. This is a bad move in my opinion. We deal almost exclusively with US retailers because of these sorts of decisions. Online shopping is absolutely massive in the US because of sheer volume and competition. Unfortunately, Canadian retailers realize that for the most part, competition doesn't exist in Canada (on a comparable per-capita scale to the US) and therefore the need to have an "online" presence is completely unnecessary. That's why you see sites like Walmart.ca as information based only. Do you honestly think that they could get away with that in the US? Of course not. Target and dozens of other merchants would pounce. I won't even address the coupons that are available as well. I know, I know; different markets but sad for us nonetheless.

Anyway, all I can say is thank goodness for RFD or we wouldn't stand a chance as consumers in Canada.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1989 posts
147 upvotes
If they go ahead with the "store pick-up" thing, that will be great.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4123 posts
967 upvotes
yu119995 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2009 8:43 am
I work for an online affiliate marketer and I can tell you that CT has removed all commissions for everything except GC's because of this. This is a bad move in my opinion. We deal almost exclusively with US retailers because of these sorts of decisions. Online shopping is absolutely massive in the US because of sheer volume and competition. Unfortunately, Canadian retailers realize that for the most part, competition doesn't exist in Canada (on a comparable per-capita scale to the US) and therefore the need to have an "online" presence is completely unnecessary. That's why you see sites like Walmart.ca as information based only. Do you honestly think that they could get away with that in the US? Of course not. Target and dozens of other merchants would pounce. I won't even address the coupons that are available as well. I know, I know; different markets but sad for us nonetheless.

Anyway, all I can say is thank goodness for RFD or we wouldn't stand a chance as consumers in Canada.
Just because there are large volumes of people shopping, does not make it price effective.

You will find that in this economic slowdown that more and more companies will be examining their online presence. The money isn't there in large amounts and they pass the costs onto their brick and mortar stores. Quite simply, they believe (or believed) that they HAD to compete online in order to keep market share.

Well, it's a lot cheaper to consumers to have stores to go to. Think of the inefficiencies of delivering items out in small quantities across North America.

CT is ahead of the curve, and I applaud them for making decisions based upon financial reasoning.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2003
1307 posts
20 upvotes
Count me as against this move by CT. Whenever there is anything that's really on sale (usually the only things I buy there), there's a 50/50 chance its sold out by friday evening. With the online shop, you could always get the items.

Business wise, I understand because of those of us here who have abused their free shipping coupons. I think that fundamentally, CT has a different philosophy than Walmart, one that is more compatible with online shopping. Walmart doesn't have many sales, but everything is relatively cheap so they want you to come into the store and buy buy buy. CT has very high regular prices (artificially high) and its only worth buying what's on sale. I never find myself going in and getting anything that's not in the flyer.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1030 posts
18 upvotes
synaptech wrote:
Jan 20th, 2009 9:30 am
http://www.thespec.com/Business%20News/article/499290

Wonder if any others will follow?
I love when companies say that they are "enhancing their site." That's retailer doublespeak for making it cheaper and cruddier. Every time the Globe and Mail said that it was "enhancing" the TV section, they eliminated any real information, shrunk te the type so you needed a magnifying glass and printed it on cheaper paper.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
49 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Jan 20th, 2009 2:52 pm
It's unfortunate that we are losing a Canadian online retailer. Online shopping should be expanding in Canada not shrinking. Those of us in urban areas forget that in a country this size, there are many that don't live near retail locations.
This is typical of Canadian culture. They still want the online site for browsing but shop in store. The site was horrendous if you remember their old flyer. They introduced the "Real" flyer somewhere in Dec 2006 or Jan 2007. I liked buying online from them but not as much as BS/FF/Amazon/Ebay. They still do not have the actual receipt/invoice online with your order, like FS/BB. They used to charge after order received and not when item was hipped like everywhere else.

With all this, I am loyal CT customer for years and still visit CT every Sunday.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.