• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 7:56 pm
[OP]
Jan 26, 2012
190 posts
75 upvotes
Ontario

Canadian Tire's 5 Cents Off Per Litre Event

The local Canadian Tire had an insert in their flyer last week promoting 5 cents off per litre of gas on May 15th from 7am-7pm. I decided to go and fill up based on how high gas prices have gotten, and was bracing for something extra that they were trying to get out of this promotion other than good will.

Anyway the lineup for gas was packed and when I got a spot to fill my car, I noticed that they had a bunch of staff with clipboards talking to everyone as they filled their cars. The guy came up to me and gave me a promotional scratch card and asked how I'd feel about saving 10 more cents per litre today and 5 cents per litre in future visits. I knew where he was going with it and said if it involved signing up for a credit card, then I had absolutely zero interest. We cut the conversion short at that point and he moved onto the next car.

I overheard a guy inside mentioning that he was told he'd get 10 more cents off per litre when he was paying, and realized he must have signed up for their credit card offer for the extra savings. I found the whole situation uncomfortable - I get that it's everyone's choice whether to sign up for a card or not, but I feel like Canadian Tire tried to take advantage of the public by pushing their credit card on unsuspecting people in a vulnerable place after reeling them in with their gas promotion. There was no way to avoid being approached by them if you went to get gas that day. I guess it's a lesson of knowing not to trust that companies are doing something for our benefit. There is always something more to it that will benefit them in the long run.

Does this kind of tactic bug anyone else? The last thing I want to do when pumping gas is deal with someone trying to sell me something that I don't need. I worry for people who fell for the sales pitch and will rack up debt on their card that they agreed to on the spot.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5288 posts
2918 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya... credit card PUSHING is one of the biggest complaints about Cdn Tire
Otherwise, we still find them to be a decent Cdn Retailer
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8564 posts
1845 upvotes
London
moss27 wrote:
May 16th, 2018 11:43 pm
I found the whole situation uncomfortable - I get that it's everyone's choice whether to sign up for a card or not, but I feel like Canadian Tire tried to take advantage of the public by pushing their credit card on unsuspecting people in a vulnerable place after reeling them in with their gas promotion.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1185 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
No wonder they require you to go inside to pay. The flyer I got says you can't pay at the pump. I already have a Canadian Tire credit card so I just tell them that.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Apr 10, 2017
574 posts
196 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
May 17th, 2018 2:03 am
Ya... credit card PUSHING is one of the biggest complaints about Cdn Tire
Otherwise, we still find them to be a decent Cdn Retailer
ANY retailer.

At Walmart, they leave you no choice because they offer it as you cash out. At least @ CT stores, it's people walking around, you can still avoid it.

Just decline and move on.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9097 posts
1754 upvotes
I have gassed up at least 100 times at CT, and countless store visits, and have never seen anyone pushing a mastercard.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5288 posts
2918 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
rocking23nf wrote:
May 17th, 2018 4:12 pm
I have gassed up at least 100 times at CT, and countless store visits, and have never seen anyone pushing a mastercard.
There is a BIGGER than usual push on now, cause they just rolled out their Triangle Rewards / CT Money Program... and the affiliated Credit Cards.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
1885 posts
982 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
May 17th, 2018 4:12 pm
They do it whenever they have a gas promo and there's a huge captive audience of drivers crowding the place. My rule of thumb is, if approached by somebody with a clipboard I always answer "not buying it dude" and then walk on (or stare off into space if I'm busy pumping gas) as if they became invisible. The conversation is over and if they keep talking I won't answer. If they try to get in my face I'll then say "The conversation is over. Have a good day" then return to blank stare mode.

Never offered a MC in the store? I find they tend to troll the furthest, more obscured aisles and corner you if you stop in one of those aisles to look for something. Like gardening/seasonal stuff, hardware/electrical, or kitchen appliances. If you stick to the automotive areas near the checkouts (which are much more open concept) you won't see them as much

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)