• Jun 21st, 2018 5:29 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
2925 posts
617 upvotes
Miami

Canadian Tire's Triangle Rewards Discussion Thread

I got a push notification telling me about new offers. This is the first set of offers I've gotten from this new program.

50x on BBQ accessories
50x on Portable BBQs
50x on Hammocks, Loungers
50x on Bike safety
And many more 50x offers

I also got a spend $50 earn $10 CTM offer which can be stacked with the 50x offers.

The new program is looking great so far (despite the issues with the app & website)
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
35 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
2925 posts
617 upvotes
Miami
This weekend was my first time using the new Triangle offers and the lady at the counter told me that the 50x offers aren't stackable with the spend/earn offer.

I still have to wait a few days for it to post before I earn the rewards.

Anyone else use any of these? Can you confirm whether they can be stacked or not?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1068 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
I already have a Canadian Tire MasterCard but I got an email to switch to a triangle rewards Elite MasterCard. Does anybody know the difference between the two? I don't understand why I should switch. They never said so in the email. I also go a promo letter in the mail telling me I should switch but, again, they never said why I should switch.

MayorOfToronto wrote:
May 22nd, 2018 8:39 am
This weekend was my first time using the new Triangle offers and the lady at the counter told me that the 50x offers aren't stackable with the spend/earn offer.

I still have to wait a few days for it to post before I earn the rewards.

Anyone else use any of these? Can you confirm whether they can be stacked or not?
Usually with Canadian Tire, you would see the points right away. I would suggest to log in online after 3 days to check your points.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
2925 posts
617 upvotes
Miami
ds2chan wrote:
May 22nd, 2018 9:21 am
I already have a Canadian Tire MasterCard but I got an email to switch to a triangle rewards Elite MasterCard. Does anybody know the difference between the two? I don't understand why I should switch. They never said so in the email. I also go a promo letter in the mail telling me I should switch but, again, they never said why I should switch.

Usually with Canadian Tire, you would see the points right away. I would suggest to log in online after 3 days to check your points.
Strange. When I use my CT credit card it usually takes a few days.

The Elite offers (for no annual fee)
4% at CT/Marks/Sport Chek
3% at grocery stores (Walmart excluded)
1% on everything else
Roadside Assistance Gold Plan

There might be other benefits I missed.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1068 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
MayorOfToronto wrote:
May 22nd, 2018 9:28 am
Strange. When I use my CT credit card it usually takes a few days.

The Elite offers (for no annual fee)
4% at CT/Marks/Sport Chek
3% at grocery stores (Walmart excluded)
1% on everything else
Roadside Assistance Gold Plan

There might be other benefits I missed.
Maybe I never took advantage of those "bonus" points for some of their deals. I thought I did.

Thanks. Maybe I should switch then. My MasterCard is already free (no annual fee) but I'm not sure if I would get that many points at SportChek, Marks, and grocery stores.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
2925 posts
617 upvotes
Miami
ds2chan wrote:
May 22nd, 2018 9:38 am
Maybe I never took advantage of those "bonus" points for some of their deals. I thought I did.

Thanks. Maybe I should switch then. My MasterCard is already free (no annual fee) but I'm not sure if I would get that many points at SportChek, Marks, and grocery stores.
It's definitely worth it even just for the roadside.

I also had the CT Options Mastercard before getting the World Elite one.

From what I remember, the Options card gave you 4% at CT and 0.8% everywhere else.
Aug 27, 2005
653 posts
33 upvotes
I'm surprised there is not more discussion on CT --> Triangle in general.

As an immigrant myself, I am aware many newcomers to Canada get a Canadian Tire card as one of the first "store" CC - just to build credit rating. It ended up being the one I used all the time.

This switch may have ramifications.... the old OPTIONS world card gave you free CDW when renting a car etc.....
If you look at the website there seem to be 3 options - Red - Silver and Elite..... the silver one that you get sent as a replacement for your World Options MC appears to have removed some of the card benefits..... companies rarely do something for nothing.......interesting that when I called suggested they just give me an Elite so that I could maintain my current card benefits they said it would be a lot of trouble... I would lose my account ( and therefore "account in good standing" history etc....) and have to open another ....even though I am 100% eligible for the Elite in it's own right...

I think this means I say farewell to my old plastic buddy of the last 15 yrs..... but CTFS.... sorry.... this is just cynical....sneaky....and we spotted you doing it.....
I'm not MEAN!....I'm just careful... ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
2925 posts
617 upvotes
Miami
mizer wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 4:23 pm
I'm surprised there is not more discussion on CT --> Triangle in general.

As an immigrant myself, I am aware many newcomers to Canada get a Canadian Tire card as one of the first "store" CC - just to build credit rating. It ended up being the one I used all the time.

This switch may have ramifications.... the old OPTIONS world card gave you free CDW when renting a car etc.....
If you look at the website there seem to be 3 options - Red - Silver and Elite..... the silver one that you get sent as a replacement for your World Options MC appears to have removed some of the card benefits..... companies rarely do something for nothing.......interesting that when I called suggested they just give me an Elite so that I could maintain my current card benefits they said it would be a lot of trouble... I would lose my account ( and therefore "account in good standing" history etc....) and have to open another ....even though I am 100% eligible for the Elite in it's own right...

I think this means I say farewell to my old plastic buddy of the last 15 yrs..... but CTFS.... sorry.... this is just cynical....sneaky....and we spotted you doing it.....
Haha yeah it was also one of my very first cards.

I too had to reapply and open a new account for the World Elite and just closed my Options account.

It was a lot easier than having to call in and go through the whole routine to get approved. I think the Triangle World card is closest to the old Options card but it's not advertised.. you would have to call in and ask them to upgrade to it.

Anyway, that account in good standing will remain on your report for at least 20 years so you don't have to worry about it affecting the age of your oldest account.
Aug 18, 2011
796 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
I'm disappointed the card isn't a triangle...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
2925 posts
617 upvotes
Miami
Babbelfish wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 7:38 pm
I'm disappointed the card isn't a triangle...
:lol: :lol:
Dec 16, 2015
973 posts
642 upvotes
Canada
Triangle rewards? Sounds complicated...
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4403 posts
2372 upvotes
Got some decent personal offers this week, including another When You Spend Bottom Line one
* Spend $ 125 and Get $ 25 in Cdn Tire Money / Triangle Rewards

As I discovered last week... Personal Offers DO STACK

So, so far, I am liking this NEW MUCH IMPROVED Loyalty Program

Lol, now if only, they’d let one EARN & REDEEM IN THE SAME TRANSACTION (ala PCO Loblaws Group style)

The Triangle Rewards T&Cs, say it is not available ... for now
But the wording does give me a bit of hope:
You will not be able to collect eCTM on that portion of a transaction in respect of which you redeemed eCTM. However, we may, from time to time and at our discretion, have special offers or promotions that would allow you to collect eCTM on that portion of a transaction in respect of which you redeemed eCTM.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5615 posts
267 upvotes
Calgary
just got the silver triangle mc and had major issues using the app/website to register for triangle rewards... you basically have to call in and have them do this manually.. very archaic

on the plus side this is much better than cdn tire physical money.. the offers seem to be good and the mc actually works with android pay...
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4403 posts
2372 upvotes
UPDATE

Got lots of great offers last weekend, including another When You Spend (WUS) Personal Offer

And most importantly, discovered that you can earn & redeem in the same transaction.

Got my points for WUS, at the same time as I cashed in the points I had on hand before the transaction

Awesome

This NEW CT Triangle Rewards Program is waaay better than the old one!

I always liked Cdn Tire, but they are quickly making me a very loyal Customer who will shop there weekly vs monthly