Canadians can cancel their wireless contracts after 2 years under new CRTC code

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2013 8:05 am
Tags:
Apr 15, 2009
193 posts
19 upvotes

Canadians can cancel their wireless contracts after 2 years under new CRTC code

The wireless code addresses the main frustrations that Canadians shared with the CRTC, which included the length of wireless contracts, cancellation fees, roaming charges and other industry practices. Among other things, individual and small business consumers will be able to:

- terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term
- cap extra data charges at $50/month and international data roaming charges at $100/month to prevent bill shock
- have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full
- return their cellphones, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service
- accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract (i.e., 2-year), and
- receive a contract that is easy to read and understand.

The wireless code will apply to all service providers in Canada. In particular, the code will apply in full to postpaid services (where customers pay a monthly bill after using their services), and where applicable to pre-paid wireless services.

“The wireless code is a tool that will empower consumers and help them make informed choices about the service options that best meet their needs. To make the most of this tool, consumers also have a responsibility to educate themselves,” Mr. Blais added.

The participation of a large number of consumers and the collaboration of the wireless industry will ensure the wireless code’s successful implementation. The CRTC’s public consultation attracted over 5,000 participants, including individual Canadians, who shared their views on an online discussion forum, in writing and at the public hearing held from February 11 to 15, 2013.

For more information about the wireless code, please visit www.crtc.gc.ca/wirelesscode.
360 replies
Jan 26, 2013
209 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
CRTC has ruled this morning that wireless customers will be able to cancel their cell phone contracts after two years without any penalties even if they’ve signed up for longer terms.
• Data charges cap at $50/month
• Internal Data roaming charges cap at $100/month
• May unlock devices after 90 days or immediately if the device is paid in full
• May return cellphones within 15 days if they are unhappy with their device (dependent on carrier’s specified usage limits)

Here's the news story
Dec 31, 2009
72 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Outside of the data roaming caps, I don't see this having much affect. At least at Rogers where I am pretty sure they have implemented the other stuff already.

Cellphone 15 day return policy already in effect at Rogers. And they have changed the semantics on their contracts whereby you can leave at any time, provided you pay back the cell phone subsidy.
Dec 16, 2004
650 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Aren't they just doing "tabs" instead of contracts now to get around this?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
5708 posts
594 upvotes
I wonder what will happen to hardware prices if a customer cancels at the end of the 2nd year if they initially signed a 3 year? I guess the provider will have to detail how much per month hardware subsidy reduces, similar to the tabs of Koodo / Virgin.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
Free ship code?

Just incase you did not know the CRTC and government is OWNED by the wireless cartels...

This is just a farce... You still have to pay full price for the phone... and since there is a new smartphone every 6 months that people MUST have or die... 2 year is plenty time...

NOW! as for unlocking, they never said it would be done free... they still charge you that $50 unlock fee. and as for $50 max data cap?

WTF $50? in other parts of the world $30 gets you unlimited data.... PREPAID! tethering included.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5063 posts
545 upvotes
in a plane
Wait.

- does this mean I can have unlimited LTE for $30 + $50?
- does this mean that if I have a 5 year contract now because of stacking 3 year ones, I can cancel in 2 years from the date of the ruling?
- does this mean that 90 days following something [what?] i can request my phone to be unlocked, without waiting till the end of the contract?

corollary: if the above are all true, it would mean I could sign up for a 3Y plan, unlock the device after 90 days and quit the plan after 2 years, thereby saving a year of subsidy. So I guess I am reading something wrong.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
May 9, 2003
919 posts
154 upvotes
I actually like tabs much better than contracts because you know exactly what you need to pay to get out of it.

Anyway, glad changes are coming especially with data charge caps and unlocks.

I wonder if the carrier will be obligated to unlock your phone once it's paid off if you ask?
Feb 14, 2013
396 posts
42 upvotes
Montreal
Provider already started with the new law... But they will get you back with the cell phone price that you will need to pay in full of the remaining months if you broke the contract.
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
CRTC still did not even address the shady practive of charging people $0.25 for incoming text message.. that should have been striked out.

in the beginning the SENDER payed for the text, but I guess the 3 terrorist organizations figured out it was better to work with spammers and charge people, then offer them a $3 a month "protection" service...

dirty scum
This is why I use, have ever used and will always use PREPAID...
Aug 25, 2011
82 posts
6 upvotes
Montreal
So after 2 years, do you still have to pay off your device balance or is that considered the "cancelation fee"?
My mobility plan to date: TELUS Unlimited North America 55$: Unlimited calling within Canada and to the US, Unlimited Texting, 3GB of Data, Caller ID, Voicemail. 55$+tax= 63$
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4273 posts
204 upvotes
Farm
Pseudo Nim wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2013 10:01 am
Wait.

- does this mean I can have unlimited LTE for $30 + $50?
- does this mean that if I have a 5 year contract now because of stacking 3 year ones, I can cancel in 2 years from the date of the ruling?
- does this mean that 90 days following something [what?] i can request my phone to be unlocked, without waiting till the end of the contract?

corollary: if the above are all true, it would mean I could sign up for a 3Y plan, unlock the device after 90 days and quit the plan after 2 years, thereby saving a year of subsidy. So I guess I am reading something wrong.
I'm pretty sure it will be contracts AFTER December 2 that are in effect. As for the cap, you will probably not be allowed to even use data after you exceed your cap

Also this means that the price of phones will go up.

Instead of the iPhone for $179/3 year, expect it to be $299/2 year or something worse.
× < >