[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1717 posts
287 upvotes
Saskatoon

Canadians produce more garbage than anyone else

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadi ... -1.1394020
The 720 kilos per capita of waste produced annually by every Canadian is about twice what is produced per capita in Japan, and as much as 10 times what is produced by a half-dozen countries in Africa. More alarmingly, our production is seven per cent higher than per capita ouput of waste in the United States, which all but invented consumer excess.

“As our greatest concentration of people,” says Hird, “Toronto is basically garbage central — a pretty fair representation of what’s happening, or not happening, with domestic waste throughout the country.”

Beyond the city’s annual processing of 200,000 tonnes of recyclables, its residents produce household garbage (the stuff we put in green bags) at a rate of 10,000 tonnes a week, or half a million tonnes a year. For maximum efficiency, tractor trailers, each bearing nearly 40 tonnes of compacted garbage, are meticulously clocked out of Toronto so as to arrive at the city’s Green Lane landfill near London, Ont. at a rate of one every 10 minutes, hour by hour, weekday after weekday.
http://wellingtonwaterwatchers.ca/canad ... n-garbage/
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9728 posts
7019 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ukrainiandude wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 10:15 pm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadi ... -1.1394020
The 720 kilos per capita of waste produced annually by every Canadian is about twice what is produced per capita in Japan, and as much as 10 times what is produced by a half-dozen countries in Africa. More alarmingly, our production is seven per cent higher than per capita ouput of waste in the United States, which all but invented consumer excess.

“As our greatest concentration of people,” says Hird, “Toronto is basically garbage central — a pretty fair representation of what’s happening, or not happening, with domestic waste throughout the country.”

Beyond the city’s annual processing of 200,000 tonnes of recyclables, its residents produce household garbage (the stuff we put in green bags) at a rate of 10,000 tonnes a week, or half a million tonnes a year. For maximum efficiency, tractor trailers, each bearing nearly 40 tonnes of compacted garbage, are meticulously clocked out of Toronto so as to arrive at the city’s Green Lane landfill near London, Ont. at a rate of one every 10 minutes, hour by hour, weekday after weekday.
http://wellingtonwaterwatchers.ca/canad ... n-garbage/
Sorry not buying this

Might be true for Toronto the GTA ...

BUT every time I go to the USA, I am alarmed by how few cities / places have any sort of recycling

And considering they have 10x the population

They gotta be producing tones more waste than us
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17657 posts
1736 upvotes
Space for rent
PointsHubby wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 2:23 am
Sorry not buying this

Might be true for Toronto the GTA ...

BUT every time I go to the USA, I am alarmed by how few cities / places have any sort of recycling

And considering they have 10x the population

They gotta be producing tones more waste than us
Per capita.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5444 posts
1642 upvotes
Aurora
My conscience is clear. We are a family of three. Bi-weekly, we put out one garbage bag whereas most other houses have three, four or five. Weekly we put out 1 blue box (small ones, not the big Toronto bins), and one green organic bin; most neighbours have two of each. I know our family is well below the GTA norm.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1556 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
I also can't believe this. I was in Japan last year and the amount of packaging they use for everything is astounding. I get the whole Japanese presentation thing but it's not uncommon for them to package something like foodstuffs in individual units and then repackage the individual units into one big unit.

And then there's the grocery items like peaches, strawberries, oranges... Each individually packaged in plastic. So unnecessary.

Packaging in the hotels was even worse. All toiletries were packaged in plastic and then boxed to boot. The slippers were packaged in plastic and so were the disposable cups. I was surprised that the robes weren't packaged.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10251 posts
2555 upvotes
Markham
People are not recycling enough but throwing everything to garbage.
Even they recycling, they are not cleaning it prior and polluate all other good recyclable materials.....
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30751 posts
2572 upvotes
Winnipeg
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 10:59 pm
Even they recycling, they are not cleaning it prior and polluate all other good recyclable materials.....
china stopped taking most of the recycling.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22576 posts
2645 upvotes
Montreal
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 10:59 pm
Individual garbage is only part of the story.

Businesses produce massive amounts of package waste. Restaurants trash tons of food. Hospitals have moved to pretty much all single use disposal consumables. Electronic obsolescence means PCs and phones are dumped by the million. Fast fashion outlets dump unsold clothing. And it goes on...
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10251 posts
2555 upvotes
Markham
mr_raider wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 10:16 am

Businesses produce massive amounts of package waste. Restaurants trash tons of food. Hospitals have moved to pretty much all single use disposal consumables. Electronic obsolescence means PCs and phones are dumped by the million. Fast fashion outlets dump unsold clothing. And it goes on...
Right, commercial waste is even worse.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Penalty Box
Apr 19, 2017
828 posts
634 upvotes
So.
CucuCovers, GreatCanadianRebates, LendingLoop, Mintos, PayMi, Stack, Tangerine, TransferWise, Uber, Wealthsimple
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
5363 posts
662 upvotes
I'd say this is partly due to retailers who use shipping options and manufactures who produce goods with excess packaging. As someone who just cleaned out their closet full of boxes, I wouldn't put the blame on consumers or Canadians for that matter but external parties.

To measure someone's garbage is pretty ridiculous as this ties to spending habits.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1708 posts
481 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 10:16 am

yup, and travelling? Look at all the waste that is generated in an airport with packaged foods. You see it when you are there, but all of that happens every day
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12557 posts
1941 upvotes
City of Vancouver
gqbluez wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 12:31 am
I also can't believe this. I was in Japan last year and the amount of packaging they use for everything is astounding. I get the whole Japanese presentation thing but it's not uncommon for them to package something like foodstuffs in individual units and then repackage the individual units into one big unit.

And then there's the grocery items like peaches, strawberries, oranges... Each individually packaged in plastic. So unnecessary.

Packaging in the hotels was even worse. All toiletries were packaged in plastic and then boxed to boot. The slippers were packaged in plastic and so were the disposable cups. I was surprised that the robes weren't packaged.
Exactly what I was thinking. I am so skeptical that Canada produces the most garbage. Japan has got to be up there.
De gustibus non est disputandum