Real Estate

Locked: Canadians really don't understand how cheap and good we have it here compared to other global cities

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2019 11:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1203 posts
496 upvotes

Canadians really don't understand how cheap and good we have it here compared to other global cities

Watch and then we can discuss. It's worth watching the whole thing and gets better towards the end imo. Maybe then people will start realizing and understanding why Chinese/Hong Kongers are investing so much into real estate here.

I hope we're never going to be like HK but given our social system, benefits etc. I honestly doubt we ever will, God bless. I'm just trying to demonstrate how silly and ignorant we sound overall as Canadians when we complain, bitch and whine about paying $1000 psf in the downtown core or when we have to pay $900k for a 2000 sq ft townhouse in the burbs while enjoying all of our great social benefits and freedoms. This is the reason why people in Asia see Canadians/NAs as lazy and entitled and why China is killing us globally in terms of competition.

Share:
285 replies
Aug 5, 2018
60 posts
66 upvotes
If other global cities jumped off a bridge would you follow?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1203 posts
496 upvotes
JosephB012 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 10:02 pm
and Hong Kongers / Canadians

"As of 2014, Hong Kong has the highest concentration of Canadian citizens in Asia, with approximately 300,000 Canadian citizens of all ethnic backgrounds living in the city.[4]
In Canada, the majority of Hong Kong Canadians reside in the metropolitan areas of Toronto and Vancouver."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_Canadians
Let's be real, most of these are just Canadians of convenience who treat Canada as a safe haven for its social benefits and political stability as they get older into retirement. Not to mention the passport...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1203 posts
496 upvotes
Staffah wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 10:11 pm
If other global cities jumped off a bridge would you follow?
I'm not sure that warrants a response. You're just proving my point. Just continue to bitch, whine and complain.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
1686 posts
431 upvotes
Vancouver
moofur wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 9:46 pm
Watch and then we can discuss. It's worth watching the whole thing and gets better towards the end imo. Maybe then people will start realizing and understanding why Chinese/Hong Kongers are investing so much into real estate here.

I hope we're never going to be like HK but given our social system, benefits etc. I honestly doubt we ever will, God bless. I'm just trying to demonstrate how silly and ignorant we sound overall as Canadians when we complain, bitch and whine about paying $1000 psf in the downtown core or when we have to pay $900k for a 2000 sq ft townhouse in the burbs while enjoying all of our great social benefits and freedoms. This is the reason why people in Asia see Canadians/NAs as lazy and entitled and why China is killing us globally in terms of competition.

I am not going to post how I see them.
Apr 14, 2017
825 posts
382 upvotes
DT Calgary
If we’re so lazy, entitled, and whiney why have they chosen to live amongst us? Surely if we were those traits our country wouldnt be a desirable location.

This poor behaviour you speak of reminds me of all the rich, whiney, and spoiled kids from China driving their daddy’s super cars. Didn’t some kid living in Vancouver just recently complain about the taxes on his $5M super car his dad bought for him?
Last edited by FreshCo on Apr 13th, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1203 posts
496 upvotes
FreshCo wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 10:56 pm
If we’re so lazy, entitled, and whiney why have they chosen to live amongst us? This poor behaviour you speak of reminds me of all the rich, spoiled kids from China driving their daddy’s super cars.
Because they're Canadians of convenience. Look at JosephB012's post.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1480 posts
340 upvotes
Cause there's no global city in Canada? It's not like New York is cheap to live in right?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30361 posts
2486 upvotes
Winnipeg
moofur wrote:

Not sure what you exact us to say except that the poor continuing to breed more than they afford to take care of. It is pretty obvious that HK is full and makes it very expensive to live, in the video it also says that everyone is aware of it, yet people continue to breed and complain about not able to afford the space. Their option is to make more money to afford the space, or move to somewhere else like Canada where space is cheap, or reduce their space requirements by not adding more people.
Sep 6, 2018
212 posts
88 upvotes
People in RFD love to compare Toronto to HK and NYC.

:facepalm:

Honestly just compare the services
Healthcare - quality of healthcare even in USA is far superior to Canada. Very little wait times to see doctors.
Real Estate - most major US cities are much cheaper than Toronto
Jobs - most jobs pay much more in USA than Toronto
Taxes - HK residents have very low tax..and no tax on foreign income... USA has much lower income tax and sales tax than Canada.

moofur wrote:

Dec 30, 2012
827 posts
881 upvotes
Toronto
Let’s compare Toronto to other Western cities and not to a third world dystopia where people think bear gall bladder confers magical powers.

How does Toronto RE compare to Berlin, or Amsterdam, or Milan? That’s what I want to know.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2953 posts
2342 upvotes
BadSitcoms wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 6:26 am
People in RFD love to compare Toronto to HK and NYC.

:facepalm:

Honestly just compare the services
Healthcare - quality of healthcare even in USA is far superior to Canada. Very little wait times to see doctors.
Real Estate - most major US cities are much cheaper than Toronto
Jobs - most jobs pay much more in USA than Toronto
Taxes - HK residents have very low tax..and no tax on foreign income... USA has much lower income tax and sales tax than Canada.
One of the worst, most uneducated posts on RFD
Dec 30, 2012
827 posts
881 upvotes
Toronto
This seems pretty whiny to me. What do you think moofur?

www.businessinsider.com.au/china-proper ... 018-10/amp

“Dozens of angry homeowners descended on the sales office of a complex [in Shanghai] that offered 25% discounts to demand refunds, causing clashes that damaged the sales office,” the FT said, citing social media posts that have since been removed by Chinese censors.

In one post from Pingdingshan, a city in China’s north, one protester carried a banner that read: “property owners tearfully cry out on their knees for the government to serve the people”.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2953 posts
2342 upvotes
Did anyone watch this until the end?

6 Million Canadian for a golf membership in HK.

I have a music degree and I always remember music teacher telling me don't aim low. Aim very, very high so at least you land somewhere in the lower end.

I didn't listen to his advice and when I started my business I aimed low.... happy to have freedom and salary just to get buy.

I regret it now :)
Last edited by BiegeToyota on Apr 14th, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 10, 2017
505 posts
280 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 7:35 am
Did anyone watch this until the end?

6 Million Canadian for a golf membership in HK.

I have a music degree and I always remember music teacher telling me don't aim low. Air very, very high so at least you land somewhere in the lower end.

I didn't listen to his advice and when I started my business I aimed low.... happy to have freedom and salary just to get buy.

I regret it now :)
Well Said.