Home & Garden

Cancel rogers home monitoring service

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 9:52 am
[OP]
Sep 5, 2017
2 posts

Cancel rogers home monitoring service

Hi, I have cancelled my rogers home monitoring service, I have two cameras ,I have pre-installed ADT sensor which rogers toke control over it, I want to know if there is any hub that I can control the Rogers camera, I do not need the sensor to be working , I only want the cameras and control them. Please advice.

Would Samsung SmartThings Smart Home Hub can pair up Rogers camera..?

Thank you.
26 replies
Jan 15, 2013
856 posts
145 upvotes
Mississauga
Instead of going with Rogers I just built my own. I'm approaching 1k but at the very least it's tailored to what I wanted plus a ton of extras.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2017
2 posts
samsung zigbee hub should work rite..? Rogers use zigbee system,... has anybody tried it before I buy the samsung zigbee hub..
Thank you.
Aug 10, 2006
49 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
If you are with Rogers can you use other cameras with their system.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2499 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
Brookside05 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 5:11 pm
Instead of going with Rogers I just built my own. I'm approaching 1k but at the very least it's tailored to what I wanted plus a ton of extras.
Where do you live, that 1k worth of cameras ect is necessary?
It blows my mind ..
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5359 posts
404 upvotes
$1k is not a lot when it comes to cameras and security system. Even if you build a smartthings system, all those sensors and hub costs add up. When you talk about wired IP camera for exterior, professional installation alone will cost a lot.
Jul 22, 2012
299 posts
22 upvotes
Maple
irrsan wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 1:03 pm
Hi, I have cancelled my rogers home monitoring service, I have two cameras ,I have pre-installed ADT sensor which rogers toke control over it, I want to know if there is any hub that I can control the Rogers camera, I do not need the sensor to be working , I only want the cameras and control them. Please advice.

Would Samsung SmartThings Smart Home Hub can pair up Rogers camera..?

Thank you.
any one figure this out?
Jun 11, 2010
403 posts
179 upvotes
ottawa
MrsPotato wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 8:37 pm
It blows my mind ..
This is my thought as well - I spent $40 on the Xiaomi cameras with fang hacks.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2499 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
It would be cheaper to hire some human to
Walk around your home after hours, as “security”;
Damn. You must be hiding a lot of jewels and chests of gold in your semi-detached townhouse! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16250 posts
2013 upvotes
irrsan wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 2:19 pm
samsung zigbee hub should work rite..? Rogers use zigbee system,... has anybody tried it before I buy the samsung zigbee hub..
Zigbee is for remote control not for streaming camera video. Likely the Rogers cameras are locked to a propretiary protocol, encrypted streams, or hard coded to only send streams to their monitoring center.

But since the wires are in place, it should be pretty easy to swap the camera for an off the shelf camera.
MrsPotato wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 8:37 pm
It blows my mind ..
A mid-range consumer surveillance system will run about $300 a camera with installation, so $2,500 - $3,000 is about the price you'll pay for a 8 camera system. This is excessive for most people ... and of course there are cheaper options.

Since installing a system several years ago, I've caught the following on my cameras:
  • Shooting on the street
  • Drive by shooting get-away car (yes, shooting #2)
  • House explosion
  • Car crash into stop sign
And other random miscellaneous things. Personally I think it's worth it, it's nice to be able to watch the front door when in the basement or keep an eye on the kids in the backyard. It's all about peace of mind.
Just random weirdness in the neighborhood, and I supposedly live in a good part of town!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15293 posts
1134 upvotes
Thornhill
golden wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 1:50 pm
$1k is not a lot when it comes to cameras and security system. Even if you build a smartthings system, all those sensors and hub costs add up. When you talk about wired IP camera for exterior, professional installation alone will cost a lot.
+1... each wireless contact for windows and doors is already (retail) $175... or maybe that was a motion sensor... but either way, each piece adds up quickly.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Apr 30, 2013
349 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 6:44 pm
Zigbee is for remote control not for streaming camera video. Likely the Rogers cameras are locked to a propretiary protocol, encrypted streams, or hard coded to only send streams to their monitoring center.

But since the wires are in place, it should be pretty easy to swap the camera for an off the shelf camera.

A mid-range consumer surveillance system will run about $300 a camera with installation, so $2,500 - $3,000 is about the price you'll pay for a 8 camera system. This is excessive for most people ... and of course there are cheaper options.

Since installing a system several years ago, I've caught the following on my cameras:
  • Shooting on the street
  • House explosion
And other random miscellaneous things. Personally I think it's worth it, it's nice to be able to watch the front door when in the basement or keep an eye on the kids in the backyard. It's all about peace of mind.
Just random weirdness in the neighborhood, and I supposedly live in a good part of town!
So you're in the U.S?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26984 posts
3295 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
coolspot wrote:

• Shooting on the street
  • House explosion
Damn, you need to move.

I installed 10 cameras to cover the perimeter of my house. The police knocked on my door two weeks after installation because some one hit a street sign and abandoned their car. I caught the whole thing on video.

I paid a more than $3,000 for my setup, but it is worth it.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2499 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote:

• Shooting on the street
  • House explosion
I sincerely feel sorry for you.
I live in South American (Ecuador), and I’ve never ever ever seen anything like that here. And it’s “supposed” to be dangerous here.