Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9835 posts
4205 upvotes
Toronto
jandb wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 10:56 am
Which camera system did you buy?
swann link 8 channel 4 camera system. I purchased an extra cam so I have 5 running right now. Doing my configuration is sketchy, I didn't realise that with some systems, when you buy another cam separately, you need to make sure it's compatible. I had all my cams installed and all the cables ran, but couldn't get all the cams on my screen when powered up. Called tech support, told me the cam was incompatible. Uninstalled everything, brought it back to the store and purchased a new complete set with additional cam.
Apr 19, 2015
172 posts
132 upvotes
So if I'm reading this right, Rogers Smart Home devices such as motion or door/window sensors don't work with ANY other smart home hub device? So if you wanted to cancel with Rogers, it's basically burnt money?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1019 posts
438 upvotes
CALGARY
Sorry to bump this thread, Planning to take Rogers as they have a promo and give some hardware free. Is that true that the hardware is useless without Rogers? is it good to have own monitoring system built or any other monitoring services recommended other than Rogers?
May 12, 2003
716 posts
183 upvotes
Useless without Rogers smart home monitoring.
cec4111 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 1:13 pm
Sorry to bump this thread, Planning to take Rogers as they have a promo and give some hardware free. Is that true that the hardware is useless without Rogers? is it good to have own monitoring system built or any other monitoring services recommended other than Rogers?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2736 posts
552 upvotes
Oshawa
irrsan wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 1:03 pm
Hi, I have cancelled my rogers home monitoring service, I have two cameras ,I have pre-installed ADT sensor which rogers toke control over it, I want to know if there is any hub that I can control the Rogers camera, I do not need the sensor to be working , I only want the cameras and control them. Please advice.

Would Samsung SmartThings Smart Home Hub can pair up Rogers camera..?

Thank you.
Equipment from Rogers ONLY works with Rogers.

Do what I did.

I cancelled my Rogers Smart Home Monitoring. Then through their online chat ... I used my wife's name and got a new installation under her name.

When the guy came to install the new equipment, he installed the equipment from my account.

Rogers wouldn't give me a deal since I was an existing client ... so i did what they say is "illegal practice" in the industry ... something called SPINNING. Big F-ing deal.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1425 posts
169 upvotes
Markham
AV-Fishing wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 5:00 pm
Equipment from Rogers ONLY works with Rogers.

Do what I did.

I cancelled my Rogers Smart Home Monitoring. Then through their online chat ... I used my wife's name and got a new installation under her name.

When the guy came to install the new equipment, he installed the equipment from my account.

Rogers wouldn't give me a deal since I was an existing client ... so i did what they say is "illegal practice" in the industry ... something called SPINNING. Big F-ing deal.
Maybe I’m missing something but can you tell me what benefit you got out of this?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4022 posts
1339 upvotes
2K6TSX wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 10:37 pm
Maybe I’m missing something but can you tell me what benefit you got out of this?
Most likely got a deal only for new activations
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1425 posts
169 upvotes
Markham
Red_Army wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 10:39 pm
Most likely got a deal only for new activations
So we’re talking about saving on monthly fees only right? I am looking into another setup and am not getting as good a deal as I got years ago..
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2736 posts
552 upvotes
Oshawa
2K6TSX wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 10:37 pm
Better pricing ... all brand new equipment.

I was on a grandfathered planned and if I renewed my contract they would not give me new equipment.

Ended up cancelling my account ... the equipment that were mine were 1 camera, 1 motion sensor, 3 door/window sensors.

Under my wife's account ... got the Assure package for $34.99+taxes on a two year contract. Equipment included: 1 camera, 1 motion sensor, 3 door/window sensors, 1 smart bulb, 1 Weiser Touchpad Door Lock ($50 ... paid up front).

The tech installed the equipment that was included on the new installation and also installed the equipment under my cancelled account. He also replaced all the batteries in my old equipment.

Since Rogers was NOT willing to give me new equipment on my renewal ... I took this route. I have had SHM ever since they launched on the market. So my equipment is OLD! I asked for new equipment and would not mind being on a new contract ... but they declined.

When we got married ... she kept her maiden name.

On our address ... we set up her account with a basement apartment.

Rogers have NO right to ask for proof of relationship even though we are married.

Basically ... all those stupid companies out there are in for NEW customers. They don't care about existing customers. This is the easiest way to get the best deals.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!