Shopping Discussion

Canceling Telus internet/tv after they changed pricing?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2017 8:16 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2293 posts
1413 upvotes
Kamloops, BC

Canceling Telus internet/tv after they changed pricing?

Is this possible without penalty?

"customers with three TELUS Home services (High Speed Internet + TV + Home Phone) and TELUS Mobility, the TELUS Bundle Discount will change from $20 to $12 per month."

Now it costs more than the service I switched to Telus from. Seems kinda messed up that they can change the terms like that. I still have a year left on my contract.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1352 posts
689 upvotes
I believe if you sign a CONTRACT, both parties agree to the terms of said contract for the duration of the contract. I do not believe it is legal (it's certainly not ethical!) for a company to change the terms of the contract midway through.

That said, Telus has pulled this type of crap before. I am a long-time Telus Mobility customer. Several years ago, they decided unilaterally to try to alter our contract by charging me for US-bound texting (which I was doing a lot due to business). After a strongly worded email where I basically said "if you're changing the terms of our contract, I want OUT" they agreed to waive the texting charges.

Consumers need to advocate for themselves, otherwise Corporations will take advantage.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
ssjlancer wrote: Is this possible without penalty?

"customers with three TELUS Home services (High Speed Internet + TV + Home Phone) and TELUS Mobility, the TELUS Bundle Discount will change from $20 to $12 per month."

Now it costs more than the service I switched to Telus from. Seems kinda messed up that they can change the terms like that. I still have a year left on my contract.
Yes, this is grounds for contract termination. However... if you received an economic inducement (free TV, significant additional discount), Telus will charge you a termination fee of $XX per month for the number of months remaining on your term. You can't simply negate that obligation.

SO, here's what you do. You call Telus and tell the CSR that you'd like to find out how much it will cost you to cancel your contract. They'll hand you off to their retentions team. Tell the retentions CSR that you'd like to find out how much it'll cost to cancel. When s/he asks why, tell them it's because they reduced the bundle discount and the service now costs more than the competitor you switched from. They will offer you a goodwill discount for 6 or 12 months.

Problem solved.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2293 posts
1413 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Thanks for the advice. I was able to extend my promo price($85 TV/Internet/phone) for another 12 months.
The penalty to break contract is only $10/ remaining months so in most cases it cheaper to cancel.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)