Cancelling with Bell - what to expect?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 4:00 am
[OP]
Nov 25, 2010
115 posts
34 upvotes

Cancelling with Bell - what to expect?

I've had enough with Bell, they are evil, I've never been really happy with them. I'm going with Freedom now that I can unlock my phone.

I expect to pay the remaining device balance
I expect to pay the (prorated) balance on the service I've used at time of cancellation (one month or less)

I don't expect to pay:

Service Cancellation Fee
Service Cancellation Fee Fee
Early Cancellation Fee
Service Termination Fee
Fee for cancelling during a vernal equinox
etc..

Can anyone comment on their experience? I have been with Bell for 13 years and I've read a few cancellation horror stories, thanks!
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2888 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
There are no early cancellation fees. They did away with that when they switched to 2 year terms.

Good luck with Wind.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12545 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
They'll probably do the hard sell trying to keep your business. Once you're firm and tell them you're going for sure, it'll just be the device balance plus your last month's usage, pro-rated. Don't be surprised if they screw up your billing, so keep an eye on that last bill (Bell is GREAT at screwing up billing).
Public Mobile
May 8, 2009
2283 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Unlike Robbers, Bell is not scared of Freedom. If you threaten to switch to Videotron (even if you're in ON), then they might make some loyalty offers.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3767 posts
648 upvotes
Brampton ON
abitkt7raid wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:34 pm
I've had enough with Bell, they are evil, I've never been really happy with them. I'm going with Freedom now that I can unlock my phone.

I expect to pay the remaining device balance
I expect to pay the (prorated) balance on the service I've used at time of cancellation (one month or less)

I don't expect to pay:

Service Cancellation Fee
Service Cancellation Fee Fee
Early Cancellation Fee
Service Termination Fee
Fee for cancelling during a vernal equinox
etc..

Can anyone comment on their experience? I have been with Bell for 13 years and I've read a few cancellation horror stories, thanks!
When I cancel my bell line and move to virgin paid the device balance only. Now from VirginMobile to FreedomMobile I ported my number yesterday that was my end of billing cycle now waiting for my final bill received lots of loyalty calls yesterday because I still have 1 line in VirginMobile they offer me another $10 off for 12 months from $47 to $37 12 month. Just renew this line last July so device balance still HUGEnot worthy paying it. FreedomMobile works good now LTE starting to pop up near my area iphone 6s and 6s+ getting LTE signal speed is great call still goest to 3g but not thay bad as wind before.
Thank you for your generosity EY CG LJ
Shaw - Freedom Mobile
Virgin Mobile

Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3979 posts
1748 upvotes
Go to Freedom Mobile. Port your number from Bell. Pay the final Bell bill when it is ready. No need to talk to anyone at Bell. Surprisingly, Bell and Virgin Mobile are the best when it comes to final bills. Automatic and instant refunds, unlike the fools at Koodo and TELUS who don't refund unless you contact them.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Dec 9th, 2017 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Foul language
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4480 posts
676 upvotes
I cancelled with Bell and they tried to charge me for a month. Then they charged me later on $30. But got all of that wiped away after I started complaining.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Dec 9th, 2017 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Foul language