None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6540 posts
262 upvotes
York

Cancelling Fido Through Rogers?

Just a quick question. Was thinking of terminating my cell phone contract from Fido for the remaining 9 months and looking to go with Mobi or Wind. Was seeing which would be cheaper: called Fido and learned that it costs $100 to cancel the contract. I've seen on this forum that Rogers cancels contracts for $12.50? Something like that? Since Fido is the sister company, can I somehow cancel through Rogers for the $12.50? Then the cost would be justified for switching over to Mobi/Wind. Right now, Fido is cheaper if it takes $100 to cancel.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6205 posts
733 upvotes
You only have half the story.

Rogers charges its clients the left over cost of the phone + $12.50. That's under the new conditions. Your old contract conditions are set and cannot be altered until it ends.

The only thing you can do is switch rogers, and sign a new 3 year and they will wave the fido contract.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6540 posts
262 upvotes
York
Oh I see. The phone is bought out already a long time ago, it's a flimsy flip phone from '08, nothing special. No more contracts! I guess I'll wait it out, pay the monthly bill until September and then switch.

Thanks for the help, EPcjay.
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6284 posts
442 upvotes
Help me
dankup wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 3:34 pm
Oh I see. The phone is bought out already a long time ago, it's a flimsy flip phone from '08, nothing special. No more contracts! I guess I'll wait it out, pay the monthly bill until September and then switch.

Thanks for the help, EPcjay.
If the phone is paid for, then you'll have to pay $12.50 to cancel.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6540 posts
262 upvotes
York
Mr.Sea wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 3:40 pm
If the phone is paid for, then you'll have to pay $12.50 to cancel.
I don't remember the details 2.5 years ago. We might have gotten it for free by signing the 3 year contract? How would I definitely find out for sure? If it was free or bought out or paid for (discount for signing contract), how would I transfer to Rogers without paying the $100 to Fido?
Oct 9, 2005
398 posts
26 upvotes
Thornhill
dankup wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 3:58 pm
I don't remember the details 2.5 years ago. We might have gotten it for free by signing the 3 year contract? How would I definitely find out for sure? If it was free or bought out or paid for (discount for signing contract), how would I transfer to Rogers without paying the $100 to Fido?

From fido website:
Device Savings Recovery Fee (applicable to term commitment customers only for any new term entered into on or after January 22, 2012)

A Device Savings Recovery Fee (DSRF) applies to all subscribers who have been granted an Economic Inducement (as defined below) upon entering a committed-term service agreement (Fido Agreement), if, for any reason, your service or your new term is terminated prior to the end of your Fido Agreement. The DSRF is the amount of the economic inducement (which may take the form of a discount, rebate or other benefit granted on the price of your Equipment), as stated in your service agreement (Economic Inducement), less the amount obtained by multiplying such Economic Inducement by a fraction representing the number of months elapsed in your Fido Agreement as compared to the total number of months of your Fido Agreement (plus applicable taxes). In other words, DSRF = Economic Inducement – [Economic Inducement × (# months elapsed in your Fido Agreement ÷ Total # months in your Fido Agreement)] + applicable taxes. An Additional Device Savings Recovery Fee (ADSRF) also applies if, for any reason, your data option, or your data option’s commitment term (Data Term), is terminated prior to the end of your Data Term. The ADSRF is the additional Economic Inducement you received for subscribing to your data option, less the amount obtained by multiplying such Economic Inducement by a fraction representing the number of months elapsed in your Data Term as compared to the total number of months of your Data Term (plus applicable taxes), and applies in addition to the DSRF for termination of your service agreement. If you subscribe to a plan combining both voice and data services, both the DSRF and the ADSRF apply, up to the total Economic Inducement.

Service Deactivation Fee (applicable to term commitment customers only for any new term entered into on or after January 22, 2012)

Not applicable to Residents of Québec or Manitoba: A Service Deactivation Fee of $12.50 per line applies if, for any reason, your service is deactivated prior to the end of your Fido Agreement. This fee is in addition to any applicable DSRF or DSRF and ADSRF.

Applicable only to Residents of Québec or Manitoba: If your service is deactivated prior to the end of your Fido Agreement and there is no Economic Inducement stated in your service agreement, then you will be charged a Service Deactivation Fee. The Service Deactivation Fee is an amount permitted under provincial legislation, being the lesser of $50 or 10% of the monthly service fees for the services that you have subscribed to on a Fido Agreement and Data Term, as applicable, but not provided as of the termination date (plus applicable taxes).

Early Cancellation Fee (applicable to any term entered into prior to January 22, 2012)

An Early Cancellation Fee and/or Data Early Cancellation Fee will be calculated and charged as set out in the service agreement you received upon entering that term.
It depends on when you renewed your contract.
Hi
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6540 posts
262 upvotes
York
xeoreg wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 5:07 pm
It depends on when you renewed your contract.
I signed the contract in September of 2010.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6540 posts
262 upvotes
York
Can anyone help me out?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6205 posts
733 upvotes
dankup wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 5:25 pm
I signed the contract in September of 2010.
Like I said, your probably under the old terms. 20$ a month up $400, or 100$ minimum. You can't change your terms within your contract period. Better suck it up, or wait for a port in credit promotion with the new guys.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20688 posts
1294 upvotes
Aurora
Have you calculated how much you would save over the 9 months by moving to Wind or Mobilicity? If it exceeds $100, then pay the fee to cancel.

I hope you get service in your area. For me, I rather pay the extra to Rogers for the reliability.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6540 posts
262 upvotes
York
EPcjay wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 11:32 pm
Like I said, your probably under the old terms. 20$ a month up $400, or 100$ minimum. You can't change your terms within your contract period. Better suck it up, or wait for a port in credit promotion with the new guys.
Yeah looks like you're right. I'll suck it up and pay for another 9 months, no biggy.
Gee wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 11:44 pm
Have you calculated how much you would save over the 9 months by moving to Wind or Mobilicity? If it exceeds $100, then pay the fee to cancel.

I hope you get service in your area. For me, I rather pay the extra to Rogers for the reliability.
Of course I calculated how much I would save. The figure that I needed confirmation on was the contract termination fee. If it was $12.50, I'd cancel right away, if it was $100, it would be cheaper to stay with Fido. And yes, both Wind and Mobi have service in my area. I don't need the reliability either, my phone calls/texts are very simple.
× < >