• Jul 17th, 2017 11:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2661 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto

Cancelling a non-refundable flight

Is there any loop hole to this? I bought tickets to Japan for $1200 but has crazy layovers. That was when the prices were 1800 so I didn't think about it. Now I'm a little pissed, and hoping I can cancel it for a couple hundred dollars.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3628 posts
392 upvotes
I can't think of any airline that'll do refunds. Just take the hit ($200-300?) and cancel for credit instead. Just be aware of the credit's expiration date.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6624 posts
1276 upvotes
Toronto
Keep watching, and if some segment(s) has a change of time greater than 2 hr, you can call to try to cancel with full refund. If some segments time change causes some connections to be missed, you have full reason to cancel.
Jul 29, 2007
334 posts
89 upvotes
North America
It depends about the no refund policy. It's a grey area for sure. My friend purchased non refundable tickets and had to cancel their trip.
They did cancel and ask for are fund and was provided a very good partial refund, they were only charged a service fee.
You should call the place where you purchased the tickets and explain you want a refund, be firm but nice about it.
Need advice on anything (college education, flight deals, technology, etc) - PM me

Best RFD Purchases: Flight Deals, Cell/Laptops/Tablets, Clothing/Shoes.
Thanks to RFD for helping me with spending money, I feel so poor now!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2661 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
I went through a travel agency and they told me I couldn't cancel. They did change my flight so my layover is now shortened by an hour due to lack of passengers. Layover is 1 hour 40 and I'm a bit worried I might miss the connecting flight.

Anything I can do?
Oct 18, 2014
961 posts
260 upvotes
New York City
You were pissed that the layover was long. Now the TA provided an alternative and you are worried you may miss the connection, that you want a refund?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4195 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Sepharite wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 6:07 pm
I went through a travel agency and they told me I couldn't cancel. They did change my flight so my layover is now shortened by an hour due to lack of passengers. Layover is 1 hour 40 and I'm a bit worried I might miss the connecting flight.

Anything I can do?
Where is your layover? Busy airport like Hong Kong, 1 hour and 40 mins is more than enough for you to catch a connecting flight
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2661 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
cgtlky wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 7:30 am
Where is your layover? Busy airport like Hong Kong, 1 hour and 40 mins is more than enough for you to catch a connecting flight
Toronto - Detroit(1.5 hours) - LAX (16 hours) - Japan
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1817 posts
914 upvotes
Sepharite wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:26 am
You call that a crazy layover?

Looks like a very decent itinerary to me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2661 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:37 am
You call that a crazy layover?

Looks like a very decent itinerary to me.
I'm no veteran flyer :)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4267 posts
1337 upvotes
Sepharite wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:26 am
Let me get this straight.

You had a 2.5 hour layover in Detroit which was changed to 1.5 and now you want to cancel because you think you might miss the connecting flight? In Detroit? Detroit, Michigan?!?

16 hours in LA isn't the greatest but FFS go to the beach or something. You're seriously trying to get out of this ticket at the cost of several hundred dollars if not the entire price of your ticket?

You can't be serious.
Nov 24, 2008
215 posts
85 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
You should have plenty of time to make your connection in Detroit. It's a very well laid out airport. Since you'll pre-screen in Toronto for US customs, you should be good to just head to your LAX gate. Since your layover in LAX is 16 hours you don't need to worry about missing your connection in Detroit to LAX. I'm sure that there's more than one flight a day to LAX and you'll get your Japan flight with plenty of time to spare.

Detroit has a nice airport. I love the train that takes you from one end to the other and the fountain is cool. It also iirc has one of the best duty-free shops too. I always found some great scotch there.