• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 6:43 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
660 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto

Cancun AI resort

We're torn between JW Marriott Cancun vs Royalton vs The Grand at Moon Palace. It'll be with my spouse and a baby in January. Would really like a resort where you don't need to hop onto a shuttle to get to beach or to eat. Preferably less than half an hour from the airport. Would appreciate your input, if you've been. TIA!
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1099 posts
354 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Kayceern wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:06 pm
We're torn between JW Marriott Cancun vs Royalton vs The Grand at Moon Palace. It'll be with my spouse and a baby in January. Would really like a resort where you don't need to hop onto a shuttle to get to beach or to eat. Preferably less than half an hour from the airport. Would appreciate your input, if you've been. TIA!
I would go with the Royalton just based on size.

I love Moon Palace though, but be advised it's a big complex so if that's a big factor wait until the baby is older.

Keep in mind neither Moon Palace or the Royalton have a great beach (seaweed, a bit rocky) So if that's important to you, look elsewhere.

May I suggest checking out the Dreams Playa Mujeres? May check all the boxes- compact resort (lots of amenities), equal luxury to Royalton/Moon Palace, nice beach, less then a half hour from the airport.
May 24, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
Far as I know JW Marriot is not all inclusive. I’ll go to Cancun in January too and I booked Riu Cancún. I considered moon palace too but reviews say the beach there is horrible.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1416 posts
753 upvotes
If I was to go back to Mexico, and in this case Cancun, I'd stay at the Hard Rock.

The Hard Rock has spent a lot of money in recent years perfecting their Hotels, Resorts & AI Experiences* ... Catering to BOTH Couples as well as families.

https://www.hrhcancun.com/

* especially so in the Caribbean Region (Mexico = 5 Resorts -- DR = 1 Resort -- Panama = 1 Resort)
Apr 28, 2003
36 posts
12 upvotes
Brampton
We just got back from the Royalton with a four month old. It was really good. Very kid friendly, only 20 minutes from the airport. Great food and pools and the beach is only a short walk away. The beach is nice but the ocean water is choppy. We stayed by the pools mostly.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
660 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:46 pm
I would go with the Royalton just based on size.

I love Moon Palace though, but be advised it's a big complex so if that's a big factor wait until the baby is older.

Keep in mind neither Moon Palace or the Royalton have a great beach (seaweed, a bit rocky) So if that's important to you, look elsewhere.

May I suggest checking out the Dreams Playa Mujeres? May check all the boxes- compact resort (lots of amenities), equal luxury to Royalton/Moon Palace, nice beach, less then a half hour from the airport.
Thanks so much for all the info. Wow you're right. Dreams Plata Mujeres looks amazing. We do have a budget of around $2000pp. Can go a bit higher but the resort you suggested is just a little bit over what we'd like to spend. Lol Do you have any experience with other Dreams resorts, ones on our price range? We prefer the Cancun area as we might have family who'll be in the area when we're there.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
660 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
CindyG11100528 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:25 pm
Far as I know JW Marriot is not all inclusive. I’ll go to Cancun in January too and I booked Riu Cancún. I considered moon palace too but reviews say the beach there is horrible.
What made you book Riu Cancun? Family members didn't have very good experiences with Riu, but in Aruba and Jamaica, no Mexico. We would love an oceanfront room too and the resorts I mentioned wouldn't have a particularly nice Caribbean Sea views...
[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
660 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
spanky wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:48 pm
We just got back from the Royalton with a four month old. It was really good. Very kid friendly, only 20 minutes from the airport. Great food and pools and the beach is only a short walk away. The beach is nice but the ocean water is choppy. We stayed by the pools mostly.
What made you pick Royalton over the others? There's so many to choose from! I'm now beyond confused. I'm glad you had a good time with your 4-month old. And congrats! We have a 7-month old and just now starting to feel comfortable doing (booking, not quite "doing" lol) trips.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
660 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:48 pm
If I was to go back to Mexico, and in this case Cancun, I'd stay at the Hard Rock.

The Hard Rock has spent a lot of money in recent years perfecting their Hotels, Resorts & AI Experiences* ... Catering to BOTH Couples as well as families.

https://www.hrhcancun.com/

* especially so in the Caribbean Region (Mexico = 5 Resorts -- DR = 1 Resort -- Panama = 1 Resort)
I've heard nothing but great things about Hard Rock. It is a little too much for what we'd like to spend though :(
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1099 posts
354 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Kayceern wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:22 am
Thanks so much for all the info. Wow you're right. Dreams Plata Mujeres looks amazing. We do have a budget of around $2000pp. Can go a bit higher but the resort you suggested is just a little bit over what we'd like to spend. Lol Do you have any experience with other Dreams resorts, ones on our price range? We prefer the Cancun area as we might have family who'll be in the area when we're there.
Dreams resorts are all really nice properties- but you need to be careful because along Cancun/Riv Maya some beaches are better the others.

If you stay in Playa Mujeres it's less then 30 minutes from Cancun Airport- 15 minutes to Cancun resort area. Look out for deals because I frequently see it on sale.

If you want something in Cancun I would suggest the Beach Palace or The Paradisus Cancun.

The RIU's in Cancun are okay at best- the Riu Palace Peninsula is the newest, RIU Caribe has been renovated and is "okay". Both are not on the strip (about 10 minutes away from that). The older ones Riu Palace Las Americas is in dire need of an upgrade and has a tiny beach. RIU Cancun next door tends to attract a more party crowd. The best RIU's in that area are down in Playa del Carmen (Playacar) area. I would look at the RIU Yucatan or the RIU Palace Mexico.

The best Hard Rocks are in Punta Cana followed by Puerto Vallarta. Hard Rock Cancun was okay- and the one in Mayan Riv is on a cove and does not have a beach.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
660 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:56 am
Dreams resorts are all really nice properties- but you need to be careful because along Cancun/Riv Maya some beaches are better the others.

If you stay in Playa Mujeres it's less then 30 minutes from Cancun Airport- 15 minutes to Cancun resort area. Look out for deals because I frequently see it on sale.

If you want something in Cancun I would suggest the Beach Palace or The Paradisus Cancun.

The RIU's in Cancun are okay at best- the Riu Palace Peninsula is the newest, RIU Caribe has been renovated and is "okay". Both are not on the strip (about 10 minutes away from that). The older ones Riu Palace Las Americas is in dire need of an upgrade and has a tiny beach. RIU Cancun next door tends to attract a more party crowd. The best RIU's in that area are down in Playa del Carmen (Playacar) area. I would look at the RIU Yucatan or the RIU Palace Mexico.

The best Hard Rocks are in Punta Cana followed by Puerto Vallarta. Hard Rock Cancun was okay- and the one in Mayan Riv is on a cove and does not have a beach.
Holy cow you're the AI guru! Thank you so much! So I finally decided on Paradisus. Then when we're ready to book, there's no more availability for the dates we want. Expressionless Face
So I looked into Beach Palace. I loved it but it's a bit small. I know we have access to the other Palace hotels but that wouldn't be as easy with a baby in tow. Do you have other suggestions similar to Paradisus? Nice beach (because I decided I want oceanview room after all lol), close to airport, nice amenities, possibly a spa but most importantly AMAZING food. Still around $2000 because it looks like we need to add $200-$300 to get a decent flight, i.e. No need to wait for room to be ready, no redeye, preferably not the 0615h departure. Thanks again!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4118 posts
1017 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ocean Riveria paradise..the azuls are nice too
Palace chains used to offer credits
[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
660 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
airmail wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:55 am
Ocean Riveria paradise..the azuls are nice too
Palace chains used to offer credits
Palace still has credits. But I read you can only use $500 for spa. We're not doing any excursions so o think it'll be a waste. $1500 resort credit for 7 day stay is definitely eye catching though!
[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
660 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
Paradisus was sold out on Costco Travel and Sunwing but we were able to find it on Expedia. Was able to pick good flight too through West jet. So we are now booked. Thanks so much for all your help!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1099 posts
354 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Kayceern wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:18 pm
Holy cow you're the AI guru! Thank you so much! So I finally decided on Paradisus. Then when we're ready to book, there's no more availability for the dates we want. Expressionless Face
So I looked into Beach Palace. I loved it but it's a bit small. I know we have access to the other Palace hotels but that wouldn't be as easy with a baby in tow. Do you have other suggestions similar to Paradisus? Nice beach (because I decided I want oceanview room after all lol), close to airport, nice amenities, possibly a spa but most importantly AMAZING food. Still around $2000 because it looks like we need to add $200-$300 to get a decent flight, i.e. No need to wait for room to be ready, no redeye, preferably not the 0615h departure. Thanks again!
I'm down there all the time for work (& vacation! Haha). I've stayed at 15 resorts there in 2017 alone!

You will love the Paradisus! Beautiful resort - great food - amazing beach ... you won't go wrong. Just stayed there in August. If possible upgrade to an ocean view- awesome views! You are short bus ride/ taxi to the malls if that's your thing.