Off Topic

Cannabis Grow Tent & Equipment Questions / Post your Setup!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2019 5:42 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 29, 2006
465 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa

Cannabis Grow Tent & Equipment Questions / Post your Setup!

Hey everyone!

With cannabis now legal in canada I've been looking into growing it myself at home. I'm in Ontario which allows you to grow 4 plants at once.

I've been doing a ton of research online but wanted to check here if anyone had some suggestions on reliable brands for equipment.

I'm looking specifically for tents, lighting, fans, carbons filters and anything else you'd recommend.

I'm just starting off so keeping the equipment to the essentials would be ideal.

Also recommendations on nutrients would be helpful.

Thanks!
Last edited by devastata on Oct 31st, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
108 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9956 posts
1347 upvotes
Toronto
There’s at least one person in the Cannabis ask me anything thread that has a setup.

Myself, I am also thinking about it and well, what is your budget. Mine for starters is $1000

The lights I am going to go with if I do it are 2xViparSpectra 600W. Also an in-line fan with carbon filter. The tent I don’t think it really matters as long as it is big enough for 4 if you’re going to do 4.

I’ll be going with a 4’x4’ tent
[OP]
Oct 29, 2006
465 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
XtremeModder wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 10:25 am
There’s at least one person in the Cannabis ask me anything thread that has a setup.

Myself, I am also thinking about it and well, what is your budget. Mine for starters is $1000

The lights I am going to go with if I do it are 2xViparSpectra 600W. Also an in-line fan with carbon filter. The tent I don’t think it really matters as long as it is big enough for 4 if you’re going to do 4.

I’ll be going with a 4’x4’ tent
Any specific brands you're going with? From what I read actually the tent isnt something to cheap out on. The difference between a cheap and quality tent isnt much more $ wise but it's the difference between ripped zippers, light leaks and just overall stronger material.

4x4 sounds looks an awesome size especially if you dont want everything crammed in there. Unfortunately I'm a bit limited with size and will be going with a 3x3.

What are you thinking height wise. At first I was looking at 60" but after factoring in the room the light and filter take up and the suggested distance between the light and plant I'm now looking at 70" & 75" models.

Curious to get input on what people think is adequate height. Obviously the taller the better but would people's absolute minimum be.

Thanks!
[OP]
Oct 29, 2006
465 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks - I was hoping to start a thread geared more towards everything to do with equipment and less to do with "what activities to do when high?" :P

I'll still have a read through it though but if people wanted to use this thread for equipement related questions and suggestions that would be great!

Or maybe we can even use it as a "Post your setup" thread? Thoughts?
[OP]
Oct 29, 2006
465 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
Title updated - let me know your thoughts on a dedicated setup thread?! I think it would be a great place for people to show their setup and tips and tricks they've learned along the way.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2006
465 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
aviador wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 11:35 am
Yup. Peeps are discussing this topic in that thread already.
Just went through the entire thread and have to admit there isn't very much information on growing - I'm thinking this would be a great thread for people to discuss their at home setups!
[OP]
Oct 29, 2006
465 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
Yea those are some of the higher end tents i was mentioning - especially the Gorilla Tents! Looks like a good site a bit on the pricier side for some things though.

I'd also check out GrowLights.ca which come highly recommended on some of the other boards.

I'm personally looking into purchasing some VivoSun equipment that people have been raving about. They come in at a great price without sacrificing quality. Their in-line fans are also reviewed as one of the quietest out there if that's important to you. It was one of my requirements and how I actually came across the brand.

They're stuff is also listen on Amazon which is perfect if you've got Prime and can take advantage of their free 1-day shipping.

VivoSun Amazon Store

Would love to start seeing people post some reviews of products they have!
Jul 18, 2009
86 posts
8 upvotes
London
Checked out growlights.ca and they definitely seem to be a couple hundred bucks cheaper for a 3x3 kit.
Looked at vivosun and they also look good but I really need a turnkey kit.
Definitely lots of quality options out there.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2006
465 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
mintchris wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 2:49 pm
Checked out growlights.ca and they definitely seem to be a couple hundred bucks cheaper for a 3x3 kit.
Looked at vivosun and they also look good but I really need a turnkey kit.
Definitely lots of quality options out there.
Yup definitely alot of different options out there and probably the main reason why i haven't jump the gun on any just yet. Would love to get some input from people who currently have some setups. More importantly what they like/don't like and what they would have done differently!
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1170 posts
351 upvotes
I bought my setup over the summer time. I bought a Growneer 5x5x7 tent although it says I bought a 4x4x7 version. I don’t mind the tent but it does have a few leaks around the zipper linings. So I had to tape them off to block the light leaks now that I’m in flowering. Then I bought an all in one kit that is no longer sold on Amazon. It contained a 6” carbon filter, fan, fan speed controller knob, ducting, and hydrometer. Also needed a fan and I went with an 40” floor standing oscillating fan which is too strong to blow on the plants but can still work just blowing on the tent wall. Need to have that air circulating and now have that fan hanging on the right side of my tent. Needed it off the floor with my plants now into flowering and taking up almost the entire tent floor (but I’m growing 8 plants at the moment) Also bought 2 Viparspectra 600w LED Lights For 4 plants they will be plenty bright for them, but again with my 8 I’m in need of more light for the flowering stage. So I’m going to admit that I have recently purchased a HLG 600H Quantum Board but they are about a grand to purchase. They are sworn by many growers to be the way to go for serious growers with great light penetration during the flowering stage.

I also just purchased more seeds for my next potential grow(s) Great promos/deals right now at Seedsman.com Yesterday they released a Halloween Bundle for any purchase over $75 (which isn’t hard to do) Plus various seed banks also have promos on top of other promos. I think I purchased 16 seeds but I’m getting another 36 seeds for free with the purchase on top of that with the promos. Plus 10% off with code UPA10

Oh forgot to mention as far as nutrients go. I started with a local shops vegetative state formula but wasn’t a big fan. When I started my flower cycle I went with Green Planet Nutrients and I’m loving the results so far. Plus I just recently started adding 3 tablespoons worth of Black Strap Molasses (Sulpher Free) Which will help build the buds with weight and girth

So pictures from my setup (3 1/2 weeks into flowering)
10D95C3D-2F07-4C6C-BA84-B9BC459F69F1.jpeg
30906E42-6FAD-4414-A3F2-1547103D1339.jpeg
18E6A5C9-7A3F-4211-8D58-75D06A001D88.jpeg
Last edited by Invader Gir on Oct 31st, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[external link removed]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9956 posts
1347 upvotes
Toronto
devastata wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 11:23 am
Any specific brands you're going with? From what I read actually the tent isnt something to cheap out on. The difference between a cheap and quality tent isnt much more $ wise but it's the difference between ripped zippers, light leaks and just overall stronger material.

4x4 sounds looks an awesome size especially if you dont want everything crammed in there. Unfortunately I'm a bit limited with size and will be going with a 3x3.

What are you thinking height wise. At first I was looking at 60" but after factoring in the room the light and filter take up and the suggested distance between the light and plant I'm now looking at 70" & 75" models.

Curious to get input on what people think is adequate height. Obviously the taller the better but would people's absolute minimum be.

Thanks!
Can’t remember the brand of tent right now but will look into it when I’m back from my vacation on Friday
[OP]
Oct 29, 2006
465 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
Invader Gir wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 5:37 pm
I bought my setup over the summer time. I bought a Growneer 5x5x7 tent although it says I bought a 4x4x7 version. I don’t mind the tent but it does have a few leaks around the zipper linings. So I had to tape them off to block the light leaks now that I’m in flowering. Then I bought an all in one kit that is no longer sold on Amazon. It contained a 6” carbon filter, fan, fan speed controller knob, ducting, and hydrometer. Also needed a fan and I went with an 40” floor standing oscillating fan which is too strong to blow on the plants but can still work just blowing on the tent wall. Need to have that air circulating and now have that fan hanging on the right side of my tent. Needed it off the floor with my plants now into flowering and taking up almost the entire tent floor (but I’m growing 8 plants at the moment) Also bought 2 Viparspectra 600w LED Lights For 4 plants they will be plenty bright for them, but again with my 8 I’m in need of more light for the flowering stage. So I’m going to admit that I have recently purchased a HLG 600H Quantum Board but they are about a grand to purchase. They are sworn by many growers to be the way to go for serious growers with great light penetration during the flowering stage.

I also just purchased more seeds for my next potential grow(s) Great promos/deals right now at Seedsman.com Yesterday they released a Halloween Bundle for any purchase over $75 (which isn’t hard to do) Plus various seed banks also have promos on top of other promos. I think I purchased 16 seeds but I’m getting another 36 seeds for free with the purchase on top of that with the promos. Plus 10% off with code UPA10

Oh forgot to mention as far as nutrients go. I started with a local shops vegetative state formula but wasn’t a big fan. When I started my flower cycle I went with Green Planet Nutrients and I’m loving the results so far. Plus I just recently started adding 3 tablespoons worth of Black Strap Molasses (Sulpher Free) Which will help build the buds with weight and girth

So pictures from my setup (3 1/2 weeks into flowering)

10D95C3D-2F07-4C6C-BA84-B9BC459F69F1.jpeg30906E42-6FAD-4414-A3F2-1547103D1339.jpeg18E6A5C9-7A3F-4211-8D58-75D06A001D88.jpeg
Thanks for all the info! This was exactly the kind of tips and info I was hoping people would contribute!

A few questions for you:
I've heard alot of people talk about light leaks and I always thought it was more to do with keeping the tent discrete. You mentioned you had to tape them up though now that they're flying. I'm still new to this and wondering why that's a big deal during flowering?

Also for the link you sent for the seeds, on the site it mentions $75 euros. Did you pay $75 euros or canadian dollars?