Hot Deals

Locked: [CanNet] [Sponsored] 75M Unlimited Internet First 3 Months $29.98/m + FREE Wi-Fi Modem + $60 BONUS for Carrytel Customers

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2018 3:59 pm
May 23, 2016
76 posts
27 upvotes
GTA
Just throwing my 2 cents on my experience with Cannet. I see a lot of negative impressions but I'm sure there are those like myself out there who are fine with their service so far.

Signed up in early 2017 during their cable promo 100M for $39.98/m + $4.98/m modem rental, 2 years price guarantee, no contract. If you dig back at the old rfd thread, there were many people that experienced throttling like myself initially. From prime time until midnight, they would cap the speed down to 3mbps for some services like YouTube and Netflix (buffered even on 720p). Reached out to their tech support a couple of times, all were not helpful at all. Blamed congestion, Netflix data servers were overloaded, and that if I am getting 100mbps on speedtest.net then everything is fine (which we all know is not true). After a lot of backlashes around almost a month after I joined, almost considered moving to the other C, throttling randomly stopped and most people got normal speed during prime time. My service has been smooth sailing since then, minimal hiccups just as when I was with Rogers or Start.

It was disappointing to see that Cannet was being deceptive on the "no throttling policy". They tried to cover up their actions and never even admitted or apologized for the initial throttling at all.

Then came along the other C 75M promo, was tempting to sign up (moved my parents from Bell to them, great so far). Decided to contact Cannet to see what they can do on matching or beating competitor's offer. The rep could match 75M offer speed and price but demanded $200 deposit to change plan (seriously?). Negotiated back and forth with them to match other C deposit, they finally agreed for $50. Gave me another option to keep my 100M speed and match other C's 75M price + modem rental and no deposits, which I accepted. So all in all, now paying 75M price + $5 for modem rental and I get to keep 100M. Also extended my price guarantee for another 2 years no contract, comparing to other C no guarantee.

Take it as you will. In the spirit of RFD, as long as I am saving money and receiving reasonable service, I am happy. Despite the poor customer service and hurdle at the beginning, I am no longer having any issues. This is a decent offer especially for those with the other C.

TLDR;
Pros:
-Decent service (can attest to rogers cable area)
-Competitive pricing and promotions

Cons:
-Poor customer service
-Poor company's image (was the initial throttling for me)
Red Flag Snag:
Spotify $34/year
Koodo $40/6gb
Apr 18, 2004
655 posts
121 upvotes
Free-to-use Wi-Fi modem (No need to return if it is a CGN3 modem, after 1 year) (Limited stock!)

be careful, this is a misleading Ads,you will be screwed up when you cancelled after 1year.
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China
Sep 4, 2007
145 posts
8 upvotes
GTA
CanNetRFD wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 12:28 pm
Let me see if I can look into the issue for you. it should be a monthly bonus credit of $5. Maybe he explained it wrong. Please PM me your order number
I'm using carrytel FTTN INTERNET. Can I get this Bonus if I sign up?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
39724 posts
1676 upvotes
Richmond Hill
LeakingDollar wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 4:52 pm
Just throwing my 2 cents on my experience with Cannet. I see a lot of negative impressions but I'm sure there are those like myself out there who are fine with their service so far.

Signed up in early 2017 during their cable promo 100M for $39.98/m + $4.98/m modem rental, 2 years price guarantee, no contract. If you dig back at the old rfd thread, there were many people that experienced throttling like myself initially. From prime time until midnight, they would cap the speed down to 3mbps for some services like YouTube and Netflix (buffered even on 720p). Reached out to their tech support a couple of times, all were not helpful at all. Blamed congestion, Netflix data servers were overloaded, and that if I am getting 100mbps on speedtest.net then everything is fine (which we all know is not true). After a lot of backlashes around almost a month after I joined, almost considered moving to the other C, throttling randomly stopped and most people got normal speed during prime time. My service has been smooth sailing since then, minimal hiccups just as when I was with Rogers or Start.

It was disappointing to see that Cannet was being deceptive on the "no throttling policy". They tried to cover up their actions and never even admitted or apologized for the initial throttling at all.

Then came along the other C 75M promo, was tempting to sign up (moved my parents from Bell to them, great so far). Decided to contact Cannet to see what they can do on matching or beating competitor's offer. The rep could match 75M offer speed and price but demanded $200 deposit to change plan (seriously?). Negotiated back and forth with them to match other C deposit, they finally agreed for $50. Gave me another option to keep my 100M speed and match other C's 75M price + modem rental and no deposits, which I accepted. So all in all, now paying 75M price + $5 for modem rental and I get to keep 100M. Also extended my price guarantee for another 2 years no contract, comparing to other C no guarantee.

Take it as you will. In the spirit of RFD, as long as I am saving money and receiving reasonable service, I am happy. Despite the poor customer service and hurdle at the beginning, I am no longer having any issues. This is a decent offer especially for those with the other C.

TLDR;
Pros:
-Decent service (can attest to rogers cable area)
-Competitive pricing and promotions

Cons:
-Poor customer service
-Poor company's image (was the initial throttling for me)
Thanks to your post, I was able to get the same $5 discount off the 100/10 promo from last year through chat.
**BRAND NEW** 3M Filtrete Furnace Filters As low as **$5 each!**
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Bosch Orbital Sander
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
737 posts
88 upvotes
yuanw wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 10:28 am
Yes you can get this bonus as well as you switch from any Carrytel plan to any CanNet plan.
Last edited by CanNetRFD on Apr 15th, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
737 posts
88 upvotes
RedFlagDeals.com wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 4:43 pm

[*]Free-to-use Wi-Fi modem (No need to return if it is a CGN3 modem, after 1 year) (Limited stock!)

That should be changed to **All wired and wireless cable modems on rental must be returned with 14 days upon cancellation except CGN3 Wireless modem (CGN3 No need to return after 2 years from activation)

We made a small mistake with that and it should be corrected on Monday morning
Jan 11, 2009
736 posts
608 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
yuanw wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 10:28 am
I was on the cannet 100mbps cable deal with 2yr guarantee, I only lasted 5mths, as it was consistently throttled to 1-5mbps. I wanted to switch to cannet fttn but they had some BS change service fee of $80 at the the time, so I switched to carrytel fttn 50mbps, haven't looked back.
Nov 21, 2017
362 posts
320 upvotes
Putting in a good word for Cannet. I've had the 75u plan for $30 per month for 3 months now and love it. Getting consistent speeds (even more consistent then my previous Fido) and not a single snag so far. I agree that cs can be a bit difficult to understand (due to accent, speed of talking and reading script) but aside from my initial registration I haven't had to deal with them. So far I am extremely satisfied with their service and pricing.
Feb 16, 2003
284 posts
7 upvotes
Are all promo for ON only? Can QC get any of the promos?
WTB:
Nov 21, 2017
362 posts
320 upvotes
It's kind of ironic how, on the one hand, people are dead set against ROBELLUS for their monopoly and obvious price fixing, but as soon as a new, budget oriented ISP has some growing pain pains we take out the knives. Granted, I haven't experienced any Cannet issues early on because I signed up only 3 months ago, but I think for the sake of fostering real internet competition and offering Canadians good alternatives, we should be a bit more patient and forgiving.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
737 posts
88 upvotes
Zen wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 12:12 am
Are all promo for ON only? Can QC get any of the promos?
Hi there,

For QC province we have the following Videotron cable area promotions:
60M/10M $59.98/m for 2 years after $69.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,
120M/10M $79.98/m for 2 years after $89.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,
30M/10M $39.98/m for 2 years after $49.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,
15M/10M $29.98/m for 2 years after $39.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,

All above plans come with unlimited usage and no contract.

Furthermore if you live in Bell area we can offer DSL/FTTN plans up to 50M/10M for $39.98/m for one year. For more details or if you would like to sign up you would have to call in.

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
Last edited by CanNetRFD on Apr 16th, 2018 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
4675 posts
684 upvotes
Sorry, not good enough of a deal to get me to transfer from Carrytel, especially with some of the negative feedback I have been reading about CanNet.
[FS] HP Spectre X360 13" fully loaded w/Warranty:
hp-spectre-x360-13-4197dx-2-1-convertib ... 0-2178407/
Apr 13, 2018
3 posts
CanNetRFD wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 10:17 am
Hi there,

For QC province we have the following Videotron cable area promotions:
60M/10M $59.98/m for 2 years after $69.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,
120M/10M $79.98/m for 2 years after $89.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,
30M/10M $59.98/m for 2 years after $39.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,
15M/10M $59.98/m for 2 years after $29.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,

All above plans come with unlimited usage and no contract.

Furthermore if you live in Bell area we can offer DSL/FTTN plans up to 50M/10M for $39.98/m for one year. For more details or if you would like to sign up you would have to call in.

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
30M/10M $59.98/m for 2 years after $39.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,
15M/10M $59.98/m for 2 years after $29.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,

Better deal after 2 years for QC?
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
737 posts
88 upvotes
Waynegd wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 3:38 pm

Better deal after 2 years for QC?
My bad,

Was too much in a rush this morning and it should be:

30M/10M $39.98/m for 2 years after $49.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,
15M/10M $29.98/m for 2 years after $39.98/m, one-time processing fee $29.95 and free wired modem rental,

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 0 guests)

alisial3, rfdchan, imranalii, keeler, davidblaster