Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Locked: [ON] Cannet Telecom 100/10 Internet $39.99/month + $30 sign up fee + free modem rental

May 18, 2008
777 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
DanCarter wrote: I received the same newsletter. They're obviously not throttling my services if the company is going to launch a statement like that; it would be fraud. It's all just competitors spreading here say to detract customers. I'm not worried about the throttling issue it hasn't been a concern from me.
Keep believing their promises, hopefully they'll deliver for your sake. They already lost their chance with me along with the other customers that experienced the throttling first hand
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
I'm not saying they throttle. But CaNNeT can easily claim they DO NOT throttle by just leaving the throttling job to CIK. It's the same as CarryTel claiming they don't block torrent sites.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
May 18, 2008
777 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
bogolisk wrote: I'm not saying they throttle. But CaNNeT can easily claim they DO NOT throttle by just leaving the throttling job to CIK. It's the same as CarryTel claiming they don't block torrent sites.
Exactly. Thus with this update "promise", nothing will be changed.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
Kaeoue wrote: Exactly. Thus with this update "promise", nothing will be changed.
Basically, they did not 'promise' anything but one thing for sure their shills will come in full force for the foreseeable future.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2015
1104 posts
1183 upvotes
Sounds like there are hiccups for some while they do the upgrades. They need to do these upgrades as their customer base grows (as listed at the bottom of the email). There will be some growing pains and congestion in certain areas will be part of it.
Public Mobile $13 plan
Thanks to RFD
Jan 13, 2013
157 posts
148 upvotes
AURORA
Ewwww, CIK...
Aug 28, 2016
135 posts
75 upvotes
Shaw guy came and fixed my internet and now it works. Removed my thumbs down and going to give them another chance. We will see what happens this time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8474 posts
4467 upvotes
Canuckland
More updates, tech support is definitely from India and they are rude/useless.

Also, to give you more proof that they throttle check out and look for CikTel

https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/

For customers

check out https://fast.com between 7PM-12AM
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1272 posts
765 upvotes
I'm not getting throttled down to 100kbs like you DealCanuck but I also noticed I'm not getting the advertised speed anymore. Even on speedtest, hardwired, I'm getting like 18mbs down/10 up.

Will see how it looks after March 2.
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Penalty Box
Nov 8, 2016
114 posts
92 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: Image

Got this deal through Cannet so I thought would share it with ya'll

Basically, when you get a rep and ask for the 100/10 Internet they'll tell you that it is $49.99 after their "promo code" and some ridiculous $99 fee for installation.
However, if you mention them that a reseller* (which I cannot speak of) is offering $29 sign up fee, $39.99/month and $5/$7modem (pick your modem, they will match them).

*You don't even need to mention its name because they already know about it, they are just playing dumb. if you really wanted to find out, google it; they will be the first one.

Here are your options on modem (Unfortunately you cannot bring your own modem)

Wireless Modem Cisco DPC3848 $7/month

Hitron CDA3 $5/month (YOU WANT THIS ONE)*

Update just found out in the contract .
They are contract lease to own modem for a $5 or $7 on a 2 year contract term.

Cisco=$168
Hitron=$120

*Chances are you already have a wireless router at home so you don't need another one.

vs

Full disclosure: I am not associated with Cannet in any way.

THEY THROTTLE YOUR INTERNET

Whether they want to admit or not, they slow down your connection on peak hours.
Speedtest.net tests don't mean anything when you cannot even watch NetFlix!

Wanna find out if you are being throttle? Go to this link https://www.battleforthenet.com/internethealthtest/

Is it worth it? Yes, I'll take cannet over any other ISP but their dishonesty is sad.
Their "Supervisor of Tech Support" assured that there was no throttling but their parent company CikTel does throttle, where does that leave customer?

Cannet employess will keep down voting my post but what gives...

UPDATE 26-Feb-2017

Useless and rude Tech support, they are from India and have no idea what they are talking about.
Stay away until after March 2nd, if this continue I'd say go with someone else.

Check speed on fast.com and reports from https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport

Fast.com got me 3mb/s

Doesn't look good for Cannet AKA Ciktel they are the same COMPANY

UPDATE 23-Feb-2017

Phoned them up and they claim they are upgrading their network and that March 2nd will be normal speeds. YMMV

UPDATE

They throttle weekends between 7:00-12:00 AM based on my findings.

Downloads for big files decrease significantly and high quality videos are not playable without waiting (kodi movies for example)
Also, steam downloads

Off peak hours I'd get 12-15mb/s downloads

Update 2

It seems that they throttle steam very badly 7-12 am.
Watching Kodi is fine though

UPDATE 3 - More throttling

At the same time

I just called tech support and they are from India and they are totally useless. I have to wonder does management even bother to call their own tech support to see if the people they are outsourcing to are even doing their jobs properly......
DON'T FORGET the terrorist ATTACKS on 9/11/2001.

On September 11, 2001 TERRORISTS attacked NEW YORK CITY.

It was PURE EVIL!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8474 posts
4467 upvotes
Canuckland
LyGuy wrote: I'm not getting throttled down to 100kbs like you DealCanuck but I also noticed I'm not getting the advertised speed anymore. Even on speedtest, hardwired, I'm getting like 18mbs down/10 up.

Will see how it looks after March 2.
Did you try fast.com?

Speedtest is rigged
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
So currently what's the cheapest way to sign up for the cable service? Is it to go through the reseller? In my case (Burlington) it's $50 for the 60/10 and I'll rent the modem for $3 and pay installation of $30 (I want to rent the modem at first and see how the service is and if it's OK, I'll probably purchase it in a couple of months).
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2369 posts
569 upvotes
York
flyboy320 wrote: So currently what's the cheapest way to sign up for the cable service? Is it to go through the reseller? In my case (Burlington) it's $50 for the 60/10 and I'll rent the modem for $3 and pay installation of $30 (I want to rent the modem at first and see how the service is and if it's OK, I'll probably purchase it in a couple of months).
That's the deal I got except I went through a reseller. I am also in Cogeco land but I decided to purchase the modem outright for $70.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
The Destroyer wrote: That's the deal I got except I went through a reseller. I am also in Cogeco land but I decided to purchase the modem outright for $70.
OK, I'll just go through the reseller then (the prices I mentioned above were from the reseller). Was it the Hitron modem you got, is that the one I need?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2369 posts
569 upvotes
York
flyboy320 wrote: OK, I'll just go through the reseller then (the prices I mentioned above were from the reseller). Was it the Hitron modem you got, is that the one I need?
Yes, it should be the Hitron CDA modem they'll send you for the 60/10. I believe you can only get the CDA3 modem on speeds 100 and above.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Jan 20, 2017
145 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
Cannet DNS is NOT working at this moment.
Thank you RFDer for:
Zoomer $36 plan 2GB Data 400 Minutes Free HUAWEI GR5
Cannet $35 plan 30M/5M Free Modem
Total GCR cashback $356.41

NEVER argue with a negative person.
You will always lose.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2001
5032 posts
774 upvotes
Toronto
realbaobei wrote: Cannet DNS is NOT working at this moment.
Explains why I have ben having issues the last few days. Damn regretting my decision to sign up with thoese folks.
You can give a person knowledge, but you can't make them think. Some people want to remain fools because the truth requires change.
Jan 20, 2017
145 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
maddawg wrote: Explains why I have ben having issues the last few days. Damn regretting my decision to sign up with thoese folks.
First time for me,
Let's see how long it will last.
If this keep happening, I will definitely cancel it.
Thank you RFDer for:

You will always lose.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
realbaobei wrote: Cannet DNS is NOT working at this moment.
Did you try OpenDNS or Google DNS?
Jan 20, 2017
145 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
seems working for me now.
Thank you RFDer for:

You will always lose.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)