Hot Deals

[ON] Cannet Telecom 100/10 Internet $39.99/month + $30 sign up fee + free modem rental

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2017 3:01 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
1214 posts
113 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:34 am
If competition has forced them to unthrottle, at least that's a win for us consumers.
I'm with you, they are probable losing customers due to slow peak speeds. The well is now poisoned. I commend the op for sticking it out. My carrytel installation date is April 2 and will say goodbye​ to them. Also noticed a improvement in speed but not worth it. Wasted $30 and 2 months fees on these guys.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
6999 posts
953 upvotes
London
maddawg wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:01 am
I'm with you, they are probable losing customers due to slow peak speeds. The well is now poisoned. I commend the op for sticking it out. My carrytel installation date is April 2 and will say goodbye​ to them. Also noticed a improvement in speed but not worth it. Wasted $30 and 2 months fees on these guys.
The structure between the two companies are different in terms of how they provide the service. In any case, peak hours bandwidth is a major expense of any ISP, main purpose of peak hours throttling is to maximize profit, as long as they are not greedy like before, their customers should be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
6999 posts
953 upvotes
London
maddawg wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:01 am
Time will mend the wounds, I was one of the gang who were bashing Carrytel in 2015 when they had this "oversold bandwidth" problem but I still observe them from time to time to see if they have improved. After all the price is good if they can provide reasonable service. Who knows, maybe one day I'll sign up with Cannet service. I learnt my lesson of being a so called "loyal customer" of Teksavvy, now I am a loyal subject of my wallet and The Queen if that matters.
Oct 11, 2004
227 posts
39 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 8:19 am
Apparently they found the issue and no throttle for yesterday.

I doubt it will stay that way.
Did they provide any insight into the issue? I, and like others, have experienced no performance hits as substantial as you and others during peak hours. Would be really interested to hear what the issue ultimately was. But perhaps it will never be disclosed, at least progress is being made so that is a win. I'm surprised you hadn't bailed already; I probably would have in your situation.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
3357 posts
816 upvotes
Canuckland
kanata2004 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:16 am
If you are throttled before and you are ok now. What did cannet do?

No matter they do it by mistake or intentionally, you are qualified for the $100 bonus. You found a throttle case for them. It's equal to 2 months free.

If it's still slow, time to say goodbye.
Do you have a source that I can refer him to?
Feb 24, 2004
969 posts
170 upvotes
Kanata, Ontario
DealCanuck wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:33 am
Do you have a source that I can refer him to?
Yes, I didn't copy the whole e-mail, but I did paste the "$100 bonus for finding a throttle" in post 912 above in this thread (page 61).

Maybe they didn't do it intentionally, but they do it by mistake and it does throttle you as you said. It's a fact.
F.L.O.W. - Finally Let Out Worry - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Become life's effortless flow. Relax & let it glow...
May 23, 2016
33 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
Interesting, will see if the throttle is still ongoing at peak today. Maybe I'll attempt to cash in on the $100.
Jun 28, 2013
16 posts
5 upvotes
LyGuy wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 8:40 am
Just curious, what is your monthly bandwidth usage like with your previous ISP? Also what location are you from? Trying to see if we can establish any patterns here for Cannet's selective throttling.

I am a relatively light user, about 300gb/month and in Yonge/Steeles area. Have been with Cannet for a month and testing on fast.com throughout past 2 weeks on peak hours on fast.com getting 41-45mbs through wireless router. I'm guessing on wired ethernet it's a bit higher.
i was with ebox dsl 25/10 1000gig 39.99+tax - where i would average 200-500gb a month
yorkdale area

reason i switched is because i wanted to hook up my IPTV and you def need unlimited for that and 100/10 for 39.99 sounded good

it is solid between 12:00am to 6pm i was not about test yesterday but i did miss a call from cannet and dealcancuk says its fix so i will test it out today.
Jan 31, 2017
148 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:52 am
Time will mend the wounds, I was one of the gang who were bashing Carrytel in 2015 when they had this "oversold bandwidth" problem but I still observe them from time to time to see if they have improved. After all the price is good if they can provide reasonable service. Who knows, maybe one day I'll sign up with Cannet service. I learnt my lesson of being a so called "loyal customer" of Teksavvy, now I am a loyal subject of my wallet and The Queen if that matters.
Yea it's unfortunate you left so soon have you been following the thread, there were a lot of problems that were solved through investigated through the president via email that were solved and were non-throttle related. He even offered a $100 bonus to anyone who could prove the thottling but non the less you were getting bad reception so can't really blame you for looking elsewhere. I was naive to think that just because my reception was fine others automatically were too it's just hard to distinguish between real on this site, with everyone jumping on me for liking CanNet and all it's hard to tell who are pawns and who are real customers.
Jan 31, 2017
148 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
LeakingDollar wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 1:31 pm
Interesting, will see if the throttle is still ongoing at peak today. Maybe I'll attempt to cash in on the $100.
I'd say go for it for sure :) You seemed very confident before
Dec 30, 1969
18 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
At fast.com I am at 3MB right now was at 100MB during the day. Wired connection. So I called and asked wheres my $100 and lol got hung up
Jun 13, 2008
879 posts
100 upvotes
Burlington, ON
cgeorge1969 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 8:00 pm
At fast.com I am at 3MB right now was at 100MB during the day. Wired connection. So I called and asked wheres my $100 and lol got hung up
Thanks for posting your results. I was getting same as you last week so I called and canceled. After hearing some reports that the problem might have been fixed, I was going to give them another try (I still haven't mailed the modem back in yet), but sounds like it might be all fluff and no substance, still same slow problem at peak times.
Dec 30, 1969
18 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
LyGuy wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 8:40 am
Just curious, what is your monthly bandwidth usage like with your previous ISP? Also what location are you from? Trying to see if we can establish any patterns here for Cannet's selective throttling.

I am a relatively light user, about 300gb/month and in Yonge/Steeles area. Have been with Cannet for a month and testing on fast.com throughout past 2 weeks on peak hours on fast.com getting 41-45mbs through wireless router. I'm guessing on wired ethernet it's a bit higher.

I used about 300-450 gb a month and am in Mississauga. I am being throttled like crazy can't watch Netflix or simple HD streaming on Youtube. I am getting 2-3mbs on fast.com wired direct but 80-100 mbs during the day. 6pm to 12am seem to be the hours of throttling. I have made several screenshots of the different times and days over the last month to prove that this throttling does happen and am forming a formal complaint with CRTC.
Dec 30, 1969
18 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I cancelled too my install date with Carrytel is April 1st ( I hope I am not being played the fool again) . I got a call today asking me to reconsider cancelling from customer service and mentioned to them I had not received my return label. I mentioned that I was considering a formal complaint with CRTC and they told me they operate within the law. However 3 mins after their phone call the shipping label magically appeared in my mailbox.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel