Hot Deals

Locked: [ON] Cannet Telecom 100/10 Internet $39.99/month + $30 sign up fee + free modem rental

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 3:53 pm
Apr 27, 2014
547 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DealCanuck wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:53 am
I'm not, I am getting full speed for the past 2 days.
I've never had them throttle. I've had two outages for 10 mins each in the last week but I checked online and it was more a rogers issue than a cannet issue, I wouldn't give the customer service any thumbs up though, they're pretty incompetent.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3483 posts
815 upvotes
Canuckland
alkaint wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:56 am
I've never had them throttle. I've had two outages for 10 mins each in the last week but I checked online and it was more a rogers issue than a cannet issue, I wouldn't give the customer service any thumbs up though, they're pretty incompetent.
Incompetent is an understatement...

They wanted me to be 3 days without Internet because they gave me the wrong modem :facepalm:

After explaining them that my new modem can be easily activated, I got them to do it with 2 hours of outage.
Last edited by DealCanuck on Mar 17th, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1065 posts
200 upvotes
Kanata, Ontario
DealCanuck wrote:
Full speed will be wired speed only, I believe.

Their "dual band" Cisco modem offer only 50m to 60m wifi speed with latest iPhone 7. The "free" wired Asus RT-N12 router will give you max 30m. Go get a $100+ AC router yourself if you want full 100m by wifi.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3483 posts
815 upvotes
Canuckland
kanata2004 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:59 am
Full speed will be wired speed only, I believe.

Their "dual band" Cisco modem offer only 50 to 60 wifi speed with latest iPhone 7. The "free" wired Asus RT-N12 router will give you max 30m. Go get a $100+ AC router yourself if you want full 100m by wifi.
I don't run Wi-Fi and I have my own modem

Also, IIRC the free router was only for 50mbps sign ups
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1700 posts
614 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote:
Everybody, don't listen to the shills. Do what the OP did! call Jordan and complain. CIK is capable of targeted throttling and has done it before. Unless you don't want what you pay for (what they advertised) then call in and complain. The shills ** will try to make you believe there's no throttling because it would cost them more money for each account they stopped throttling. Well, CanNet might not throttle but CIK will and does. That how they figure to get around CRTC's rules. CIK own CanNet, it's like Fido/Rogers.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
May 23, 2016
56 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
DealCanuck wrote:
Waiting to hear back from Jordan. Wondering if you were able to squeeze the $100 out of them as well?
Jun 13, 2008
943 posts
113 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Well I'm going to give them another try. I hadn't mailed in the modem yet after canceling last week, so I thought I would email Jordan and see if they can fix the issue. Right now on Friday night 10:00pm, I'm getting 2Mbps on fast.com, even worse than last week.

I'll give them the weekend to see how it pans out.....keeping my fingers crossed.
Jun 13, 2008
943 posts
113 upvotes
Burlington, ON
So I thought I would follow up with my slow internet issue that has been ongoing for the last week. I emailed support (Jordan) at info@cannettel.com and he was very fast at getting back to me. I HIGHLY recommend using email to get help instead of calling in and getting a call center half way around the world and in my experience agents who are of no real help. Jordan was emailing me several times last night while at the same time conversing with his engineering guys. After a short while my speeds last night during peak times went from 1.9Mbps to around 65Mbps. Here is part of the email exchange with Jordan (for some reason they had three IP address showing on my account)
The issue is caused by IP. Because wherever there is an IP change, our system needs 24 hours to synchronize and move the IP to our network. Your issue was the IP was not in our network, it is not due to throttling. This issue was identified last Friday and our IT already found solution and will deploy batch to get this bug fixed. But even so, we still need 24 hours to get it right profile.

Your IP is almost static, but not 100%. That means whenever you are changing router or disconnect the modem for 7 days or Cogeco network change, your IP may be changed and it may need maximum 24 hours to get your IP into our network.
I'm not a IT guy so I don't really understand what they are doing, but in the end my speed is back to where it should be, so for now I'm happy. I'll keep an eye on it for now and report back if there are any other issues. I have put a stop on the account cancellation I requested last week so long as I can get the speeds I should.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7297 posts
1088 upvotes
London
flyboy320 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 12:43 pm
So I thought I would follow up with my slow internet issue that has been ongoing for the last week. I emailed support (Jordan) at info@cannettel.com and he was very fast at getting back to me. I HIGHLY recommend using email to get help instead of calling in and getting a call center half way around the world and in my experience agents who are of no real help. Jordan was emailing me several times last night while at the same time conversing with his engineering guys. After a short while my speeds last night during peak times went from 1.9Mbps to around 65Mbps. Here is part of the email exchange with Jordan (for some reason they had three IP address showing on my account)

I'm not a IT guy so I don't really understand what they are doing, but in the end my speed is back to where it should be, so for now I'm happy. I'll keep an eye on it for now and report back if there are any other issues. I have put a stop on the account cancellation I requested last week so long as I can get the speeds I should.
The reply that you quoted is not true but I wouldn't blame them either, after all, you are not expecting an answer like "We'll stop throttling you!". In any case this is a win win situation, Cannet prevented customers from jumping ship and their customers are now happy.
Last edited by apvm on Mar 18th, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jun 13, 2008
943 posts
113 upvotes
Burlington, ON
apvm wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 2:34 pm
The reply that you quoted is pure bull but I wouldn't blame them either, after all, you are not expecting an answer like "We'll stop throttling you!". In any case this is a win win situation, Cannet prevented customers from jumping ship and their customers are now happy.
It almost seems like they can select specific IP addresses and route them differently so they don't experience any slowdowns, but that's just a guess on my part. Like you said win-win, so I'll stay with them for now.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1065 posts
200 upvotes
Kanata, Ontario
flyboy320 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 3:46 pm
It almost seems like they can select specific IP addresses and route them differently so they don't experience any slowdowns, but that's just a guess on my part. Like you said win-win, so I'll stay with them for now.
They realized problem and WILL fix it for all users. If anybody has problem , just complain to CEO email. The more complains, the faster they will fix the throttle problem.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1700 posts
614 upvotes
The issue is caused by IP. Because wherever there is an IP change, our system needs 24 hours to synchronize and move the IP to our network. Your issue was the IP was not in our network, it is not due to throttling. This issue was identified last Friday and our IT already found solution and will deploy batch to get this bug fixed. But even so, we still need 24 hours to get it right profile.

Your IP is almost static, but not 100%. That means whenever you are changing router or disconnect the modem for 7 days or Cogeco network change, your IP may be changed and it may need maximum 24 hours to get your IP into our network.
Pure bull. It basically says:
We throttle every single IP by default. If you call and complain, we'll white-list your IP. But if some how Cogeco changed your IP address, you'll no longer be in the white-list and your speed will be back to sh!tty. You'll have to call in and complain again.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7297 posts
1088 upvotes
London
flyboy320 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 3:46 pm
Throttle may not be IP based if they are not offering static IP, maybe based on your modem mac address or your username within their system.
Nov 7, 2013
16 posts
5 upvotes
no one here is willing to cancel their service yet all of you complain in every post... funny people
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel