Hot Deals

[ON] Cannet Telecom 100/10 Internet $39.99/month + $30 sign up fee + free modem rental

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2017 3:01 pm
Mar 17, 2017
1 posts
So I was tring to sign up with them over thier chat window. and they are asking for credit card which will be automatically charged everymonth. Is that the only payment option ? Can we not pay ourselves without putting auto debit ? Is it safe to give CC to this company ?
Feb 24, 2004
969 posts
170 upvotes
Kanata, Ontario
crossfir3 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:45 pm
no one here is willing to cancel their service yet all of you complain in every post... funny people
Others guy in carrytel thread said there are 3 criteria when you choose an isp. All credit to him. Sorry I can't find the original post.
1) fast and reliable
2) good support
3) low price

No ISP can meet all criteria . Cannet is trying to meet 1 and 3.

For now cannet only meet 3, are still working on 1. Give them some time and see.

Cannet and other low cost ISP will never meet 2. If they meet , cost go up and they won't meet 3.

Nothing is perfect in the world. God is fair.

If you can't wait , find an ISP such as Teksavvy who meet 1 and 2. Or go with bell rogers. It's a free world. Do whatever you like.
F.L.O.W. - Finally Let Out Worry - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Become life's effortless flow. Relax & let it glow...
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
1214 posts
113 upvotes
crossfir3 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:45 pm
no one here is willing to cancel their service yet all of you complain in every post... funny people
I switched to carrytel, so I'm one.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1565 posts
547 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 9:47 pm
Others guy in carrytel thread said there are 3 criteria when you choose an isp.
here you go
bogolisk wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 10:18 am
You can only have 2 of the following 3s:
  1. product's capabilities
  2. customer service
  3. price
We're paying rock-bottom price (3) for 100Mbps (1), so don't expect much from customer service (2). At least CarryTel seems to be honest, unlike C I K.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Nov 7, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 9:47 pm
Others guy in carrytel thread said there are 3 criteria when you choose an isp. All credit to him. Sorry I can't find the original post.
1) fast and reliable
2) good support
3) low price

No ISP can meet all criteria . Cannet is trying to meet 1 and 3.

For now cannet only meet 3, are still working on 1. Give them some time and see.

Cannet and other low cost ISP will never meet 2. If they meet , cost go up and they won't meet 3.

Nothing is perfect in the world. God is fair.

If you can't wait , find an ISP such as Teksavvy who meet 1 and 2. Or go with bell rogers. It's a free world. Do whatever you like.
Reliability means no down time and acceptable latency. Cannet proven to reach full speed of packages sold during non-peak hours. Everyone is at work and school during non-peak hours, cik or cannet decided to not buy enough bandwidth for their customers, they oversold the bandwidth to maximize profits. CIK oversold their bandwidth to cik customers and the same bandwidth is oversold to cannet customers again. Unless cik/cannet purchases or allocate more bandwidth to cannet the throttling will never stop during peak hours. It's as easy as buying bandwidth, don't give me b***s*** a technician is required to fix it.
Dec 30, 1969
18 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I left them for Carrytel. When they denied throttling while there was ample proof it, and made excuses that its your equipment, netflix problem, etc.
When you deal with any organization its a matter of trust if you can not trust them there is no point in continuing a business relationship.
I feel this unthrottling they are doing to the customers that make a fuss is just temporary or to avoid a full blown CRTC investigation.

But you get what you pay for and I never had these issues with Teksavvy and I hope I don't with Carrytel. If I do I I will go back to Teksavvy.
Nov 7, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes
So stop complaining, they will never stop throttling. The whole purpose of Cannet as a subsidiary is to do this to maximize profits and not damage their Cik brand.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
3357 posts
816 upvotes
Canuckland
crossfir3 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:40 am
So stop complaining, they will never stop throttling. The whole purpose of Cannet as a subsidiary is to do this to maximize profits and not damage their Cik brand.
I can't speak for everyone but they did fix minr, though I spent 5 hours of my life to get there :facepalm:
Nov 7, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes
cgeorge1969 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:39 am
I left them for Carrytel. When they denied throttling while there was ample proof it, and made excuses that its your equipment, netflix problem, etc.
When you deal with any organization its a matter of trust if you can not trust them there is no point in continuing a business relationship.
I feel this unthrottling they are doing to the customers that make a fuss is just temporary or to avoid a full blown CRTC investigation.

But you get what you pay for and I never had these issues with Teksavvy and I hope I don't with Carrytel. If I do I I will go back to Teksavvy.
You made the right decision. We have more things to worry about in life than our internet service not working properly.
Last edited by crossfir3 on Mar 19th, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 7, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:49 am
I can't speak for everyone but they did fix minr, though I spent 5 hours of my life to get there :facepalm:
Fix means they turned off the throttle switch on you.
Nov 7, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes
Let me explain THROTTLING! THROTTLING happens when the PROVIDER DOES NOT have SUFFICEENT BANDWIDTH for EVERY CUSTOMER so they LIMIT others. Cannet will never have sufficient bandwidth when Cik doesn't have it either. Good luck to those funny people complaining on every post.
Feb 24, 2004
969 posts
170 upvotes
Kanata, Ontario
crossfir3 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:00 pm
Let me explain THROTTLING! THROTTLING happens when the PROVIDER DOES NOT have SUFFICEENT BANDWIDTH for EVERY CUSTOMER so they LIMIT others. Cannet will never have sufficient bandwidth when Cik doesn't have it either. Good luck to those funny people complaining on every post.
It's called congestion if they didn't buy enough bandwidth. Throttle is ISP limit some types of traffic.

If they are such a bad ISP, how come other ISP worry so much? It will die itself if their speed is only "3m at night for a 100m plan" or "Slower than my 30m".

No ISP can meet 3 condition. Cannet still get new users means it meet condition 3 (price) and 1 ( speed and reliability). If Cannet is really so bad on 1, nobody will bother to use them. Nobody will complain neither, they will go straight to cancel.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1565 posts
547 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 1:08 pm
If Cannet is really so bad on 1, nobody will bother to use them. Nobody will complain neither, they will go straight to cancel.
A large number of users don't know how to test their real bandwidth. They will says: "my 4K UHD Netflix stream works perfectly." However , Netflix UHD requires less than 30mpbs. CIK can easily throttle Netflix traffic of those users to 30Mbps without them knowing.

Many already moved to their main competitor or planning/trying. But that competitor did the honest thing by stopping/limiting new subscriptions until they bought more bandwidth.

CIK is dishonest but they are anything but stupid. They have many tactics, from 100$ bait (can't believe ppl fall for that.) to making it hard to cancel. They also count on the fact than for many, $40.00/month and working 4K UHD streaming is pretty good and too much of a hassle to move elsewhere.
Feb 24, 2004
969 posts
170 upvotes
Kanata, Ontario
I tested cannet 50m DSL and it's more than 30mbps at night. So it's hard for me to believe it's 100m "less then 3m" or " slower than abc company's 30m plan".

Whatever , among the 3 ISP qualification conditions, cannet meet 3 ( price). There are arguments on conditions 1 but obviously cannet can keep some customers.

Cannet upfront cost is $30 cheaper ( than his main competitor). Cannet provide 10 days full money back. If cannet is so bad as someone said, they have to end this " 10 days full money back " to stop loss. They still offer it, which means it's acceptable cancellation rate so far.

There is balance between price and speed. Cannet made it and won some customers. Of course it lost some customers as well. You can't make everybody satisfied.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1565 posts
547 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 2:36 pm
Cannet upfront cost is $30 cheaper ( than his main competitor). Cannet provide 10 days full money back. If cannet is so bad as someone said, they have to end this " 10 days full money back " to stop loss. They still offer it, which means it's acceptable cancellation rate so far.
Don't tell me you're that naive. CIK is capable of targeted throttling (they've done it in the past.) What prevents them to turn-on the throttle only after the 10-days trial period?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel