Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2017 9:31 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
195 posts
54 upvotes

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

Deal Link:
Please see end of thread for update. Not worth the hassle to save a few $ a month in this case IMO!
Last edited by htauthority on Nov 15th, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
272 replies
Nov 13, 2008
416 posts
33 upvotes
Website says they were founded in 2009.
Let us know if they throttle & how reliable they are?
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
195 posts
54 upvotes
vsaint wrote:
Nov 17th, 2016 12:50 am
Website says they were founded in 2009.
Let us know if they throttle & how reliable they are?
Yes will keep members posted. They are mainly in QC and gaining some ground in Ontario. Not much for reviews out there but when it comes to cable internet either it works or it does not from my experience. It's unlimited and I am told they do not throttle. Being I have had steady cable internet for the past 8 years I will know if something is lacking. All providers use the same cogeco line here so as long as the line is good and I get a good modem should have no issues. But we will see.
Sep 25, 2012
95 posts
23 upvotes
Vaughan
seems interesting. I cant get carrytel 25 DSL on my street but i could get this. If anyone orders this service please let us know
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
195 posts
54 upvotes
Will have CanNet installed on the 25th.

I am limited to 6M here through DSL/fiber so have to stick with cable. Carrytel has 50M/10M but obviously can't get it. So cable it is, $40 for 40M/10M unlimited works for me. 60M/10M is $45. Those that can get it, they have the 100M/10M unlimited for $49 which seems to beat out most deals out there
Aug 25, 2007
45 posts
7 upvotes
Did their prices just jump $10?
In Ontario, the 100M is now $60 and the activation fee is $99.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
195 posts
54 upvotes
pierret777 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 8:23 am
Did their prices just jump $10?
In Ontario, the 100M is now $60 and the activation fee is $99.
Yes, it looks like all their plans went up by $10 and activation of $30 is now $99. I am locked in for 2 years price wise with my plan while remaining no contract. You could call in to see if they would honor their special. When I subscribed there was a $10 saving per month, it showed as a discount. Will edit OP
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13409 posts
1225 upvotes
RCMP is fighting to have ISPs install expensive tracking software so they can subpoena customer's browsing habits whenever they want, even behind a VPN. Harper passed the legislation with Bill C-51, but current technology (in Canada anyways) lags behind. Diversity in ISP-land helps us since the infrastructure to spy on Canadians is specific to each ISP and the fed isn't willing to pony up the money to retrofit ISPs for this. What's important is that we have new ISPs out there that would be willing to disclose or better yet, promote customer privacy policies that prevent tracking.

I am curious what CanNet's current policy is on protecting customer data, what their data retention policies are, and what technology (if any) is in place to ensure customers are protected against surveillance.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jan 12, 2004
24 posts
3 upvotes
Cambridge
This company has the same CEO as Ciktel and I received a call back from a Ciktel number (416-848-1517) after contacting them. Ciktel is not well reviewed - in fact, online reviews are quite poor. As FYI, I was also still offered the $49.95/mo price for 100/10.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
195 posts
54 upvotes
krazi wrote:
Nov 21st, 2016 10:23 pm
This company has the same CEO as Ciktel and I received a call back from a Ciktel number (416-848-1517) after contacting them. Ciktel is not well reviewed - in fact, online reviews are quite poor. As FYI, I was also still offered the $49.95/mo price for 100/10.
Thanks for the heads up. I looked up the reviews and called up customer service to address this. Many households are trying to use 50-100GB+ per day, in this case they can/will slow your speeds down which it what the majority complains about. It's unlimited but within reason and I fully understand that. Not too many days we use any more than 20GB max so I have no concerns. However if any issue arises i will be sure to let members know. I have had nothing but reliable cable internet through other providers for many years so if all of a sudden I am having issues it can be nothing else but the provider. 3-500GB per month is plenty for me, that's double what I had with start.ca plus a good boost in speed for the same price. If I get what I am expecting then I will have no complaints
Sep 21, 2016
58 posts
9 upvotes
What is the hardware they provide?

in cable 6 and cable 60 the provide hardware for 99$
but in cable 15 and cable 40 they provide hardware for 199$ !!

So hardware in cable 60 is cheaper than cable 40
note the activation fee is waived if you buy hardware from them
so it is better to buy hardware for 99$ and get the 99$ activation fee waived so you get the modem for 0$ only you pay tax only !!
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
195 posts
54 upvotes
Abou85 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 10:39 pm
What is the hardware they provide?

in cable 6 and cable 60 the provide hardware for 99$
but in cable 15 and cable 40 they provide hardware for 199$ !!

So hardware in cable 60 is cheaper than cable 40
note the activation fee is waived if you buy hardware from them
so it is better to buy hardware for 99$ and get the 99$ activation fee waived so you get the modem for 0$ only you pay tax only !!
Just got my modem in the mail, it's the Technicolor 4300, new sealed. I am sure it is a misprint on their site, call it in. One poster mentioned above he could still get the deal. 60 or 100M (depending on area) $49.99 and $29 activation, I got 40M for $39.99 and $29 activation. I am renting the modem for $2.98 a month extra. No contract and price is locked in for 2 years. Plenty of time for another deal to come around. This is for cable internet
Last edited by htauthority on Nov 22nd, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
195 posts
54 upvotes
Abou85 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 11:17 pm
And they use Rogers infrastructure ?
If you are in a Rogers area yes, I am Cogeco myself. All 3rd party providers use the same line which is why with cable if my service is unreliable with CanNet it won't take too long to find out. Never had an issue with down time or speed with either Cogeco or Start. I will not stay with them if they do not meet my reasonable expectations, as mentioned above there are complaints for CIK and this company is affiliated so when I called in to discuss this (I was having second thoughts) it appears households always streaming HD or online gaming taking advantage of the unlimited will get throttled at some point. Some households use 100-150GB per day and to be honest I don't mind if they throttle their speed so that my speed and use can perform as advertised. I am willing to bet those are the people complaining because they think it's suppose to be full speed unlimited 100% of the time. If you load the servers you should get throttled. They need to make some money too, overuse the bandwidth and it would be difficult for them as a company to make money. And for my reasonable needs it must be reliable. My 2 cents and we will see...

I will show no mercy to this company if they are not as advertised. I know my line is reliable so they cannot give me the runaround to try this or that if something does not work. I will not encourage anyone else to switch regardless of price if my needs aren't met. I will say 300-400GB per month on average will be my usage. This is midrange use and would fall into a midrange plan with other providers. It's not excessive so I should not have any down time or throttling

And for those that are not aware of their usage, if you have only ONE good HD stream that one person in the house has on 24/7 without shutting anything off (since it's unlimited) at 3-4GB per hour there's around 80G in one day. Does not take long. So my current monthly 150GB plan would be at or over the limit in 2 days. People complain and I get they want unlimited 100% but a company deserves to make some money too. Unlimited within reason sounds fair to me. If you want truly unlimited without limits then you should expect to pay more and should look for another plan.
Sep 21, 2016
58 posts
9 upvotes
Ordered CaNNet today cable internet
30$ activation
45$ for 60/10 speed for 2 years without contract
3 $ modem rental
I hope it would be better than Fido offer 60$ for 60/10 speed ( I think Fido CS is better and instant activation ) but you

Cannet total
will be 48$ ( 54$ tax included) with one time fee of 30$
the modem doesn't have wifi so you need to buy one
no shipping fee
but will need about 7 business days for service to be installed ( receiving the modem then activation appointment)

Fido total
60$ ( 68$ tax included )
the modem has wifi so you don't need to buy a wifi router
could be activated same day if you pick up the modem from Fido store