Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 1:07 am
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
179 posts
45 upvotes
Seems almost everybody is having a pretty good experience so far. Glad to hear and it was worth being guinea pigs :)
Feb 5, 2017
1 posts
Just wanna say that I've switched from Bell Fibe to CanNetTel since December, and the Internet has been top notch! I chose cable (I'm in Gatineau, QC), so they use Videotron. I've had no downtime, no speed drop, just solid Internet since the beginning. Billing is easy, they just charge your credit card each month and send you an email 1 or 2 days before. Fiber to the home from Bell is honestly the best technology you can get, but I really needed to save the extra bucks. I'm paying 45$+tx for 30M/10M unlimited. You have to buy your own WiFi router but that wasn't really a deal breaker. Something to consider: Virgin Mobile now offers great home Internet plans in QC and Ontario. They offer 25M/10M unlimited with included WiFi router + free installation for 50$+tx/month. But anyways, I'm happy with the price, speed and reliability of CanNetTel and will not switch for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: I've not seen any throttling with P2P or Netflix/streaming. Maybe it depends on the backend provider? ie. Rogers/Cogeco/Videotron? I hit 3.5mbps on well seeded torrents even during peak hours. Using Tixati on my own WiFi router.

Here's a speedtest I just did:
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
3348 posts
815 upvotes
Canuckland
Quite happy with them besides that they sent the me wrong modem.

Worth the money so far, BU BYE BHELL
Dec 19, 2016
349 posts
195 upvotes
Hows cannets speed and service? Steady and reliable?
Lead Generator Rogers Field Sales
Jan 31, 2017
147 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
vsaint wrote:
Nov 17th, 2016 12:50 am
Website says they were founded in 2009.
Let us know if they throttle & how reliable they are?
I've been using their services since Friday, they're pretty reliable; their are fluctuations in peak hours which I expected but overall pretty good. There is no throttle it's one of the questions I asked upon sign up. Completely unlimited, no caps or restrictions.
Jan 31, 2017
147 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
DealCanuck wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 10:19 pm
Quite happy with them besides that they sent the me wrong modem.

Worth the money so far, BU BYE BHELL
Yea they sent me the Cisco and I'm paying an extra $2 a month for the wifi. But I'm thinking maybe its better to use a third party router?
Jan 31, 2017
147 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
htauthority wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 2:11 am
Seems almost everybody is having a pretty good experience so far. Glad to hear and it was worth being guinea pigs :)
Haha taking one for the team
Jan 31, 2017
147 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
pierret777 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 8:23 am
Did their prices just jump $10?
In Ontario, the 100M is now $60 and the activation fee is $99.
That's the valued price you have to use the promotional code.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
179 posts
45 upvotes
Olkams wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 8:21 am
Hows cannets speed and service? Steady and reliable?
Going by the rfd user opinions the answer would be yes. Only a couple people complained about throttling or limited torrent download speeds during peak hours, depending on what you are doing it can happen. For most as reported no real complaints so far. Otherwise speed and service has been good. For the price can't be beat, the only way I would switch is if one of the big providers came down to this level price wise. Many folks had problems with CIK, CanNet is based off CIK and it really looks like they stepped up their game and improved their service. I have been with CanNet since November when myself and a few guinea pigs took a chance on them.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
3348 posts
815 upvotes
Canuckland
htauthority wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 11:12 am
Going by the rfd user opinions the answer would be yes. Only a couple people complained about throttling or limited torrent download speeds during peak hours, depending on what you are doing it can happen. For most as reported no real complaints so far. Otherwise speed and service has been good. For the price can't be beat, the only way I would switch is if one of the big providers came down to this level price wise. Many folks had problems with CIK, CanNet is based off CIK and it really looks like they stepped up their game and improved their service. I have been with CanNet since November when myself and a few guinea pigs took a chance on them.

Sure beats having to deal with BHELL
Feb 4, 2017
21 posts
9 upvotes
Is there any consensus on the best modem option if you're just going to set it up in bridge mode?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
3348 posts
815 upvotes
Canuckland
bobbyhavoc wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 11:33 am
Is there any consensus on the best modem option if you're just going to set it up in bridge mode?
Yes Hitron, can only be used as such.
Aug 25, 2007
44 posts
7 upvotes
Any existing customers switch from a lower plan to the $40 100M in Ontario?

I signed up for 30M for $40 + $3 for modem.
Would be nice to switch to the 100M for $40 + $5 for modem.
May 28, 2007
209 posts
28 upvotes
Peterborough
I've been live with cannet for 10 days now. A couple of issues on the switch but was never down. I am in cogeco area of peterborough and switched from Nexicom. I think that was the issue. Anyways, service here is 120M and I get 90M to 130M consistently. I am paying the same as I was before, but getting 3X the speed. No issues when 3 people are streaming HD at the same time. Currently running network with PowerLine until later I can run some cable.

Just wanted to add my positive experience (so far).
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel