Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2017 10:40 am
Feb 19, 2011
43 posts
18 upvotes
Oshawa
So, pretty good for a Friday night. It's been over a week, service has been unfailingly stable so far. Paying about $14 a month less than I was paying to Netfox before for three times the speed down and twice up. Haven't yet had to access CanNet's support, if I do I will report back. Netfox's was always very good and responsive.

[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
195 posts
53 upvotes
Awesome everyone! Glad this thread has been useful. It's nice to save some money and not sacrifice much in service. Keep it this way CanNet and we will stick with you, all there is to it.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
195 posts
53 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 12:47 pm
Throttling is insane.
With every provider there are complaints. Even the big 2. As stated earlier in the thread there are factors such as infrastructure on their end, congestion in certain areas or just the area itself and even the cable line going to the house. No issues here (knock on wood).
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3518 posts
825 upvotes
Canuckland
htauthority wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 1:05 pm
With every provider there are complaints. Even the big 2. As stated earlier in the thread there are factors such as infrastructure on their end, congestion in certain areas or just the area itself and even the cable line going to the house. No issues here (knock on wood).
From 100mb to 25mb Internet
Apr 17, 2016
58 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa
DealCanuck wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 12:47 pm
Throttling is insane.
As far as I could tell when I was with them briefly in December, throttling only happened for P2P traffic - but yeah, P2P basically slowed to nothing between 7:00-11:00 PM every night. Can-Net has its pros, but that was the con that forced me to cancel with them.

But a tip - initially they told me there was nothing they could do about it, but when I finally called to cancel my service the second of four reps I spoke to that day told me that they could, in fact, turn off throttling for me. It was too late at that point, I had already switched to Fido - but maybe you'd have some luck getting them to unthrottle you?

Speaking of my cancellation experience - it highlighted the other major con I found with Can-Net, which is their disorganization and lack of left-hand/right-hand coordination. As I mentioned, I spoke to 4 separate people in the process of canceling. At one point, a rep told me I would be credited for the remaining days in the month; then the next rep told me that wasn't true, I wouldn't be credited anything. And it turns out that, even though I tried to cancel 2 weeks before the end of the month, after the service was disconnected I received another bill for the first 5 days in December between when I was hooked up and when my billing cycle began, something no one gave me a heads up on. And again, one rep told me they would refund me that money (it was something like $8), and then a second rep said no, actually, even though I tried to cancel early and didn't actually use the service for 2 weeks, I technically owed them that and customer-service-and-common-sense-be-damned, we're still going to take that $8.

Also - and I've complained about this already - but when I initially canceled, one rep actually tried to tell me that the $100 I paid for my modem was, in fact, just a processing fee and that I had to return the modem, which was pure, dishonest bullshit.

Anyways, the service itself is fine if you're not doing P2P and as long as you don't have to contact them you should be fine. But the company itself is cruddy to work with.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3518 posts
825 upvotes
Canuckland
I'm not even torrenting, it's YouTube and steam they are throttling
Feb 14, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
London ON
hey all i too am looking at going over to these guys but i have a few questions.

1.the highest speed is 100/10 for me and i went to their website and clicked on their (Promotion Plan) want to check out put in the CAN100 Code for $10 off and it came too $ 64.36 each month with renting out modem, so the question is will this be the what i pay each month for ever? or will the $10 off expire at some point?

2. i did contact them and got a phone call back but sadly like everywhere it was some one who didn't speak very good English so for the most part i couldn't understand him. has anyone spoke to a English Canadian? Man or Woman if so can some one recommend a name too speak with.

3. as DealCanuck was saying about the throttling i too am worried cause i too use Youtube alot and im a steam user as well along with netflix which i just got for the first time and i plan on keeping once the free trail ends and i'll be going for their UHD package for $11.99. anyways after reading posts after posts is CanNet reliable for speed wise even on weekends. anymore updates on speed wise from ppl that have them?

4.which modem should i ask for when it comes too the 100/10 speed whats the best modem pls keep in mind that i do not need built in wifi in the modem its self cause i have a TP-Link Router already.
Last edited by EdwinF312612 on Feb 15th, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3518 posts
825 upvotes
Canuckland
EdwinF312612 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 10:00 pm
hey all i too am looking at going over to these guys but i have a few questions.

1.the highest speed is 100/10 for me and i went to their website and clicked on their (Promotion Plan) want to check out put in the CAN100 Code for $10 off and it came too $ 64.36 each month with renting out modem, so the question is will this be the what i pay each month for ever? or will the $10 off expire at some point?

2. i did contact them and got a phone call back but sadly like everywhere it was some one who didn't speak very good English so for the most part i couldn't understand him. has anyone spoke to a English Canadian? Man or Woman if so can some one recommend a name too speak with.

3. as DealCanuck was saying about the throttling i too am worried cause i too use Youtube alot and im a steam user as well along with netflix which i just got for the first time and i plan on keeping once the free trail ends and i'll be going for their UHD package for $11.99. anyways after reading posts after posts is CanNet reliable for speed wise even on weekends. anymore updates on speed wise from ppl that have them?

4.which modem should i ask for when it comes too the 100/10 speed whats the best modem pls keep in mind that i do not need built in wifi in the modem its self cause i have a TP-Link Router already.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/cannet- ... e-2076294/
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3518 posts
825 upvotes
Canuckland
EdwinF312612 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 2:40 pm
thanks DealCanuck i'll be passing on these guys duo to so many topics about "Throttling" too risky i was going to go for their 250/20 oh tho i said i was going for there 100/10. anyways thanks man
Yeah they definitely throttle. Even though speed tests don't show it. Downloads definitely show it.

As it's human nature they will blame something else.

Hit or miss.
Feb 14, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
London ON
DealCanuck wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 5:23 pm
Yeah they definitely throttle. Even though speed tests don't show it. Downloads definitely show it.

As it's human nature they will blame something else.

Hit or miss.
ikr lol its fine man thanks. btw im not too big on posting on forums etc... but there's this 3rd party isp that i have my eye on but not sure about them and can't overly find reviews only facebook which they have very little likes and six 5 star ratings. they offer in a 2 year term 250/20 with modem for $70 + tax which for that speed is a good deal, how ever after messaging them on facebook i was told that they use or go through Bell/Rogers/Teksavvy. anyways im not sure about this place and maybe you could poke around for me too see if this place is good or not. http://mynetworx.ca/cable/ https://www.facebook.com/MyNetworXInc/
May 23, 2016
59 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
EdwinF312612 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 7:44 pm
ikr lol its fine man thanks. btw im not too big on posting on forums etc... but there's this 3rd party isp that i have my eye on but not sure about them and can't overly find reviews only facebook which they have very little likes and six 5 star ratings. they offer in a 2 year term 250/20 with modem for $70 + tax which for that speed is a good deal, how ever after messaging them on facebook i was told that they use or go through Bell/Rogers/Teksavvy. anyways im not sure about this place and maybe you could poke around for me too see if this place is good or not. http://mynetworx.ca/cable/ https://www.facebook.com/MyNetworXInc/
I was looking through these guys too but skeptical of making the jump as there are not much reviews on their services. Current deal on their FB which ends on Feb 28, $54.99 for 100/10 unlimited, from my understanding modem built into the price, no contract seems promising, they even mentioned "best of all no throttling!". A bit pricier than Cannet but still undercutting Teksavvy and Start.

Maybe I will take a shot at these guys once I shop around in the next few days and cancel my Cannet line.
Banned
Feb 12, 2017
69 posts
11 upvotes
vsaint wrote:
Nov 17th, 2016 12:50 am
Website says they were founded in 2009.
Let us know if they throttle & how reliable they are?
I've been using their services about a week now, I first came across them on an RFD forum and there was a lot of talk about throttling so I did some investigating and I actually spoke with the CEO who assured me there is no throttling, caps or restrictions. I did a speed test and the worst bandwidth I received was 60/10 and that was during peak hours. If you run a speed test you have to run it with the Ethernet cable directly into your computer; if the wifi is in the picture it's going to cause interference.
Jun 1, 2016
459 posts
264 upvotes
EdwinF312612 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 2:40 pm
thanks DealCanuck i'll be passing on these guys duo to so many topics about "Throttling" too risky i was going to go for their 250/20 oh tho i said i was going for there 100/10. anyways thanks man
There is no throttling but there is a huge dependency on the area you're in.
You can check out the thread in the Hot Deals section.
Here are my comments:
cannet-telecom-100-10-internet-39-99-mo ... #p27490224
cannet-telecom-100-10-internet-39-99-mo ... #p27497116

TL;DR - there is no throttling but some users experience severe discrepancies depending on their area
Having trouble setting up the Koodo $49 6gb plan yourself? DON'T PAY THE KIJIJI GUYS, I'll help you for FREE