Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 1:07 am
Jan 31, 2017
147 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
pierret777 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 8:23 am
Did their prices just jump $10?
In Ontario, the 100M is now $60 and the activation fee is $99.
Na you have to use the promo code to get the discounts. Prices are the same.
Jan 31, 2017
147 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
TroyJax416 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 10:02 am
Na you have to use the promo code to get the discounts. Prices are the same.
P.S if you live in the GTA and mention a resellers name they have to sell it to you for $39 for 100M
Jan 31, 2017
147 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Isildur101 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 6:22 pm
So, pretty good for a Friday night. It's been over a week, service has been unfailingly stable so far. Paying about $14 a month less than I was paying to Netfox before for three times the speed down and twice up. Haven't yet had to access CanNet's support, if I do I will report back. Netfox's was always very good and responsive.

I'm in the same boat been using their services about a month now. I do a lot of online gaming and there is obviously a little congestion during peak hours but I have yet to experience loading or buffering with any of my apps. I haven't dealt with their CS or TS yet and I'm hoping I never have to haha
Jan 31, 2017
147 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
htauthority wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 6:34 pm
Awesome everyone! Glad this thread has been useful. It's nice to save some money and not sacrifice much in service. Keep it this way CanNet and we will stick with you, all there is to it.
I'm pretty impressed with the service so far. The lowest I've gotten on a speed test was 80M which is still plenty for me considering I live alone.
Jan 31, 2017
147 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
EdwinF312612 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 10:00 pm
hey all i too am looking at going over to these guys but i have a few questions.

1.the highest speed is 100/10 for me and i went to their website and clicked on their (Promotion Plan) want to check out put in the CAN100 Code for $10 off and it came too $ 64.36 each month with renting out modem, so the question is will this be the what i pay each month for ever? or will the $10 off expire at some point?

2. i did contact them and got a phone call back but sadly like everywhere it was some one who didn't speak very good English so for the most part i couldn't understand him. has anyone spoke to a English Canadian? Man or Woman if so can some one recommend a name too speak with.

3. as DealCanuck was saying about the throttling i too am worried cause i too use Youtube alot and im a steam user as well along with netflix which i just got for the first time and i plan on keeping once the free trail ends and i'll be going for their UHD package for $11.99. anyways after reading posts after posts is CanNet reliable for speed wise even on weekends. anymore updates on speed wise from ppl that have them?

4.which modem should i ask for when it comes too the 100/10 speed whats the best modem pls keep in mind that i do not need built in wifi in the modem its self cause i have a TP-Link Router already.
The promotional price is good for the first two years after its subject to increase $10. I pay $49 a month +$5 for the rental fee. I went with the CDA3 because I already have a built in router. The throttling hasn't been an issue for me, I've brought this up before and even posted proof. I have yet to see any proof from @DealCanuck regarding the throttling issue. I'm on youtube, netflix and PS4 everyday.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
179 posts
45 upvotes
TroyJax416 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 10:14 am
The promotional price is good for the first two years after its subject to increase $10. I pay $49 a month +$5 for the rental fee. I went with the CDA3 because I already have a built in router. The throttling hasn't been an issue for me, I've brought this up before and even posted proof. I have yet to see any proof from @DealCanuck regarding the throttling issue. I'm on youtube, netflix and PS4 everyday.
That's because it depends on area or the cable line itself. You did testing, lots of people did extensive testing and no throttling. Either they throttle or the don't. It's a yes or no question. If some never experience throttling while others do then it falls on the server load in the area itself or your cable line is not as good as it should be physically. Now CanNet could and should improve their infrastructure in those congested areas and they will need to as their customer base increased. If servers overloaded during peak hours then they need added hardware and a bigger pipe from Cogeco/Rogers.

They also may be limited by C and R with a second tier pipe and there is not much they can do about it. This is my understanding. For customers with issues and you are not happy then switch providers or justify the price difference one way or the other. Hope this help RFDers. No ISP is perfect, your location could be good with one provider and not the next.
Jan 31, 2017
147 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
htauthority wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 12:19 pm
That's because it depends on area or the cable line itself. You did testing, lots of people did extensive testing and no throttling. Either they throttle or the don't. It's a yes or no question. If some never experience throttling while others do then it falls on the server load in the area itself or your cable line is not as good as it should be physically. Now CanNet could and should improve their infrastructure in those congested areas and they will need to as their customer base increased. If servers overloaded during peak hours then they need added hardware and a bigger pipe from Cogeco/Rogers.

They also may be limited by C and R with a second tier pipe and there is not much they can do about it. This is my understanding. For customers with issues and you are not happy then switch providers or justify the price difference one way or the other. Hope this help RFDers. No ISP is perfect, your location could be good with one provider and not the next.
Yea that makes sense, I suppose because I'm in Toronto I'm going to have better reception. Feel bad for people in other regions.
Feb 22, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Personally I am very disappointed with my first impression of Cannet, and am surprised and jealous at those who are reporting such positive results. I have the benefit of having begun my Cannet service tonight, while also still having my previous Bell service enabled. After doing a side-by-side comparison during peak hours, my Bell 30/10 connection greatly outperformed my Cannet 100/10; this despite being connected via an Ethernet cable to my Cannet modem, while being connected wirelessly to my Bell modem via a router.

Between around 8pm and 10pm on a Thursday night (again, this is only my first night with Cannet) my Cannet speeds hovered around 10 mbps, compared with around 20 mbps on my Bell connection (using the Google speed test). I noticed a huge difference when using uTorrent, for which Cannet only delivered around 20 kpbs, whereas my Bell connection was around 1 mbps. I realize that Cannet claims not to throttle p2p connections, but I am unsure of how else to explain such a huge difference in connection speeds, particularly when the difference in speed tests results was nowhere close to as wide. My Bell connection also loaded 1080p Youtube videos seamlessly, whereas the Cannet connection lagged terribly. Even videos on Netflix were blurry, and at times borderline unwatchable, via my Cannet connection.

I live in Toronto (King St west), and my Cannet connection is cable, whereas my Bell is DSL. As of now, I hope Cannet can help me find a solution, because I'd go so far as to say my Cannet connection is unusable regarding any sort of decent quality audio-video streamed media during peak hours. I'm sure this is an extreme experience; however, it is a real one and should be taken as a possibility for any potential customers.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
179 posts
45 upvotes
CanNet's newsletter just received in my email:

First, we would like to thank each and every one of you for choosing CanNet as your Unlimited High Speed Broadband Internet Provider. Due to your loyalty and customer satisfaction, CanNet has become one of the fastest growing high speed ISPs (Internet Service Providers) across the country. CanNet was found in 2009 and is a licensed Internet provider registered under CRTC. We are devoted to providing the highest speeds at the lowest price, with unlimited usage in Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Recently we have received some concerns from customers regarding our Internet policies which we would like to clarify as below:
1. Does CanNet offer truly unlimited internet usage?
Yes, CanNet is providing truly unlimited usage for residential purposes exclusively. If you are using our services for personal purposes, you can push over 1000G no problem. However, you cannot set up a web server at home or push traffic to attack third parties etc.
2. Does CanNet throttle any application in peak hours?
No, CanNet DOES NOT implement any Internet Traffic Management Policy (ITMP) to our network at any time of day. Although ITMP is allowed by CRTC with certain conditions, CanNet is happy to announce we are not implanting any ITMP at this time and we are fully complying with CRTC transparency requirement for ITMP.
3. Can CanNet guarantee the maximum speed in peak hour?
No, there are several factors that can affect a customer’s speed testing. It is very normal for customers to experience slightly slower speeds during peak hours (night time 6pm to 12:00am). Also If the customer is running a speed test, you will gain the best results by using an Ethernet cable rather than a third party Wi-Fi router which can cause external interference.
Other factors to take into consideration are the amount of devices and individuals using the internet at a specific time. CanNet’s goal is to ensure each customer can obtain high speed internet at anytime. However, we may not avoid slight congestion in some special circumstances such as bad weather, network outage, special event or festival etc.
4. Can CanNet guarantee 1080P video when viewing YouTube?
Some of services such as YouTube they are detecting customer network status at home and they automatic adjust the client resolution to a best performance. Can-net has no way to guarantee it can be 1080P or 4K.
5. Does CanNet slow down P2P software or BT in any network?
No, we DO NOT restrict or slow your P2P software such as BT in any of our network any time.
For more official answers to FAQ, please refer to: https://www.cannettel.com/Support.
Also we would like to update our customers on our recently updated network:
1. Jan 20, we added 1 fiber for Vancouver and 1 Fiber for Caglary in Shaw cable network;
2. March 1st, we will add more capacity for our Videotron network in QC;
3. March 2nd, we will add 2.5G capacity in Rogers network;
Our slogan: Higher speed, lower price, unlimited usage and better service.
We would like every customer to enjoy our High speed internet with truly unlimited usage – surf with freedom. We are trying our best to provide 7x 24 live support by phone, email and online chat, if you have any comments or inquiry, please contact us info@cannettel.com.

Cheers,
CAN-NET TELECOM INC
Oct 23, 2012
158 posts
44 upvotes
Thanks for posting the email.

Looks like canNet is growing faster than they can get the needed capacity.

I experienced the same thing with Ebox.
Apr 17, 2016
58 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa
htauthority wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 2:28 pm
5. Does CanNet slow down P2P software or BT in any network?
No, we DO NOT restrict or slow your P2P software such as BT in any of our network any time.
In mid-December, after several calls with tech support trying to figure out why my P2P traffic was slowed to virtually zero every evening and troubleshooting out the wazoo as they tried to blame it on everything but a restriction on their end, the technician said please hold, talked to his supervisor, then came back and said yes, they do restrict non-real-time applications like P2P in the evenings. So either a) things have changed since I canceled with them, or b) they're lying in that email. Based on bmckool's comment above, my guess is the latter.

bmckool - they initially told me they couldn't lift that restriction, but when I finally called back to cancel, they did offer to lift it if I stayed (I had already signed up with Fido at that point so I said no thank you - then had additional bad customer service from them and grew more and more confident with my decision to leave). So you could try threatening to cancel if you want them to fix it?
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
179 posts
45 upvotes
All I did was provide the email for reference. Not going to assume anyone is lying or spreading false info.

As to throttling/restricting as I posted in the other thread either they do or they don't. It's a yes or no question. Several RFD members did tests during prime time, some concluded there was throttling going on while others found nothing going on at all. Speed was steady and consistent even during prime hours. Why are some customers seeing restrictions and some are not? Either they throttle or they don't. So it has to be something else. As the company grows they will need to upgrade to eliminate congestion in various areas. The bottom of the email reflects that stating the upgrades. I think this is what we are seeing. There will be some growing pains obviously.

So the question is for $40 are you satisfied, think most are. Quite a few are not so if you can justify paying $50-$60 for the something better then by all means go for it. Prices have gone down a bit from other 3rd party ISPs. No one likes to pay more but if CanNet is inconsistent in your area then it makes sense to switch. All ISPs have customers with issues, Rogers and Cogeco included.

All I know is I am not paying $60-$70 for Cogeco. For $40 I have been more than pleased since November. YMMV.
Oct 23, 2012
158 posts
44 upvotes
cappaj
In mid-December, after several calls with tech support trying to figure out why my P2P traffic was slowed to virtually zero every evening and troubleshooting out the wazoo as they tried to blame it on everything
Ebox which has a great reputation did the same thing for over a year. They blamed my hardware, they even said it was due to virus. I told them sure a virus only at certain times right. SMH. Well now with the same hardware and OS as before. Everything is fine. In a year, Ebox had grown by over 300%. So it could be that CanNet is having a hard time keeping up with demand.
Feb 28, 2017
1 posts
bmckool wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 10:41 pm
Personally I am very disappointed with my first impression of Cannet, and am surprised and jealous at those who are reporting such positive results. I have the benefit of having begun my Cannet service tonight, while also still having my previous Bell service enabled. After doing a side-by-side comparison during peak hours, my Bell 30/10 connection greatly outperformed my Cannet 100/10; this despite being connected via an Ethernet cable to my Cannet modem, while being connected wirelessly to my Bell modem via a router.

Between around 8pm and 10pm on a Thursday night (again, this is only my first night with Cannet) my Cannet speeds hovered around 10 mbps, compared with around 20 mbps on my Bell connection (using the Google speed test). I noticed a huge difference when using uTorrent, for which Cannet only delivered around 20 kpbs, whereas my Bell connection was around 1 mbps. I realize that Cannet claims not to throttle p2p connections, but I am unsure of how else to explain such a huge difference in connection speeds, particularly when the difference in speed tests results was nowhere close to as wide. My Bell connection also loaded 1080p Youtube videos seamlessly, whereas the Cannet connection lagged terribly. Even videos on Netflix were blurry, and at times borderline unwatchable, via my Cannet connection.

I live in Toronto (King St west), and my Cannet connection is cable, whereas my Bell is DSL. As of now, I hope Cannet can help me find a solution, because I'd go so far as to say my Cannet connection is unusable regarding any sort of decent quality audio-video streamed media during peak hours. I'm sure this is an extreme experience; however, it is a real one and should be taken as a possibility for any potential customers.
I've had exactly the same bad experience as yours !
Been with Cannet cable 100/10 for 2 months now. Gradually started noticing the throttling.
Video buffering in Youtube (1080p was impossible to watch) at night .
An IPTV provider I used to have steady 5Mbits to (enough for HD), started dropping to below 1Mbit , again impossible to watch.
Worst thing is, at the same time Speedtest.net would give me 100/10 , as per my plan. So don't trust Speedtest.net, they seem to be caching it.
I opened a case with Cannet, only to get some guy with no idea about networking and IPTV, ask me to try the "local" channels ... LOL
Then they just closed the case ,saying its not their problem.
Have been for 2 days with Carrytel 50/10 DSL, and I've had everything back to normal in regards to video streaming.
Last edited by progressor79 on Mar 1st, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2007
209 posts
28 upvotes
Peterborough
It's been a month now since switching to Cannet. Even with all the kids home for reading week with laptops, tablets, phones and tvs going, we had no issues. No isssues with Kodi or IPTV in HD. Still running everthng over powerline network until I get time to run cables. Still getting 3 times the speed for less money. Can't help but notice the negative posts above are first and only RFD posts. Downloaded 1 torrent overnight through a VPN connection. Again, much faster then my previous ISP. When I get around to it I will test the steaming speed from my NAS to my phone over the internet and cell data. (I like being able to tale my entire music collection with me!) I still have to set that up with my new ip address. Will update if things change.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel